Naked in the locker room

janie1234

Cathlete
How many of you are comfortable wearing your birthday suit in the locker room? I just read an article in Fitness Mag about it. I've never been comfortable being naked in front of people. Does this make me a prude? I will change naked in a locker room but I can't just walk around and hang out talking to some stranger about how her day was. I mean even if I had a smoking hot bod I wouldn't feel comfortable.

I also bring this up because I've been toying around with joining a gym so I've been making the rounds and scheduling tours. The other day during a tour the front desk girl was showing me the women's locker room which has a hot tub in it. Sitting in the hot tub was an extremely large woman as naked as a jail bird in the hot tub using it as though it was her personal bath tub. I mean scrubbing herself with a sponge. The unimaginable thought of human body bits and hair (not from your head mind you) floating in the water made me want to up chuck. I couldn't help but stare. It was like watching a scary movie (hands covering your face with a slight part allowing you to watch). She caught me and my tour guide staring and we both sorta looked away and kept walking. Good grief, has this ever happened to you??? What would you do or say???

When I was going to a gym, I don't remember seeing any naked women
:) However, I KNOW I couldn't do it. I will barely do it at home!!

Oh honey, it's happened to me more than I care to remember. Some people are just like that--they're incredibly comfortable in the nude and don't think about it. Me? Um, no. No thanks. I'll change my clothes in the toilet stall, thank you very much! I'm really self-conscious, though.

I love people who can walk around naked. As much as it grosses me out and makes me cringe, I want to go right up to them and high-five them at the same time.

It's all a personal preference. I don't care for women who walk around, blow-drying their hair while their bare behind and chest are hanging out. Personally, I think people should get dressed or at least put on a towel to do that out of respect for prudes like you and I. ;)

But, to each their own. Which is why I no longer have a gym membership. ;)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Ewwwww! That is the Number 1 reason I don't use locker room whirlpools! Call me overly hygenic, but to me it's like taking a bath in someone's else's bath water. I see it all the time and it totally skeeves me out.

Jonahnah
From now on, I'm going to be more decisive. Possibly.

I probably would have done and said exactly what you did, nothing and walked away, but I would have thought ewwwwww. And joined a different gym

Gabrielle

YIKES!!!

I am not comfortable enough with my naked self to do that, and it would embarrass me to see others in the buff!

I think every gym has the *naked and blow-drying* woman. I don't mind people getting dressed or undressed but if you are going to pick up an appliance then you can at least put on some underwear.:)

As for the hot tub bath, that has to be violating some sort of health code. A hot tub is not a bath tub and no gym should be encouraging or allowing this.

Yea I don't think you are supposed to be naked in a health club hot tub!

I have no problem walking around naked in front of people but that's just me. It's the hygienic issue of what you're describing that's freaking me out!!

I think I'll just stay home with Cathe :7

I could never walk around nude in a change room. In fact, I could not even change in the open. I would have to use the bathroom stall, if a private change room is not available. That is just me, very private!

And regarding the Hot Tub Situation - Gross!! Some people just don't have discretion.

Hi-

I go to a gym and there are some women there that have absolutely 0% modesty.. we've got the naked gals that hang in the hot tub
( fortunately, they don't scrub themselves up, that is beyond disgusting!)

We also have this one lady that stands naked and blow dries her hair..not that big a deal right? Well, she uh, blows dries both uh, hair "dos" if you know what I mean. That kind of tipped me when I saw that! x( Needless to say, I don't use that hairdryer!

I'm OK w/ changing in the main area of the locker room, but its a quick deal, no dallying, or strutting.

Take care, Lynn M.

The hot tub story reminds me of the last apartment I lived in. Some chic went to the hot tub to take a bath and wash her hair! She did, at least, have a swim suit on (the hot tub was outdoors). There were soap bubbles everywhere. As for the gym, there was some woman I saw once, completely naked, standing in front of a mirror, in the middle of the walkway, applying about a bottle of lotion to all parts of her body. I had one quick look and wanted to urp - and as mentioned above, it is sort of like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but really can't help it b/c you are just aghast at what you are seeing!! I don't miss the gym, and barely get naked in my own bathroom so I was certainly not one to do it there, or want to see it either. Doesn't help that I was SO not athletic in school so I never had that experience of getting used to a locker room b/c you had no choice. Guess it takes all types to make the world go round... :)

I've been curious all day what the "Brazillians" might do in this situation...

Anyway I'm with the majority. I change quickly, but not rushed, over by the lockers. if I walk to/from the showers, I have on a towel.

And there ain't no way, no how, am I ever going to get into that hot tub. omg

I'm agog that gyms have community hot tubs. I don't like hot tubs in general - lots of people in steaming water, I don't know, it seems like People Soup or something, throw in some carrots and celery - but a public one seems like the lowest possible rung on the hygiene ladder. Yuck.

As for being nekkid, I would have no issue changing in front of other women but would probably not stroll around socializing.

Sparrow

The woman in the hot tub was a moron with no home training. And the gym should have had a sign stating what is appropriate attire (and behavior) for the hot tub. Now that the woman walking you through was, apparently, shocked I bet that will change. Nasty. It takes all kinds.

You all are so funny. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that was nasty. Maybe I will just stick to working out at home? I only like the gym in the summer and for classes. It is just to darn hot to run out here. Today was 104! I did my usual ballet conditioning and man I was so sweaty! I'm way to cheap to put the AC on because the last summer I did that my electric bill was $250 bucks, to me that is really high, but I guess for now till I find a gym that really floats my boat I'll stick to working out at home. I wish I lived near Cathe's gym. I've read somewhere that it is super clean and that they spend more money on cleaning staff than sales staff.

>I wish I lived near Cathe's gym. I've read somewhere that it is
>super clean and that they spend more money on cleaning staff
>than sales staff.

I would join that gym in a second! I don't miss the gym at all - germs, sweat, people who just have no clue in the locker room. Yuck to all of it! Just hope you can erase the picture in your head of that woman in the hot tub!!!

From my experience in Europe, I think having issues with being naked is also an American issue. Europeans seem to think nothing of being nude in public. Last year my parents, DH and I went to a small lake in Germany. It was summer and a little hot and most people were clothed but there were some just laying around naked - like it's no big deal.
And a few weeks ago I was at a birthday party for my German neighbor's child. There was a HUGE snail in the backyard and the children were standing around it. One of my neighbors told me what the German word for snail was. Then he told me that Germans call slugs 'naked snails' but he knew Americans would never use that term in English because they have issues with nakedness. I suppose he's right. And I'm one of them too. :)

Carolyn

I'm self-conscience because I know I don't have the nicest body, so I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around nude in a dressing room. Honestly, if I had a nice body I probably wouldn't mind walking around nude sometimes and showing it off.

As for the woman in the hot tub taking a bath, that is gross and I would be really put off by it. I don't care if she was big or the most fit person at that gym. She wasn't just changing or blow drying her hair, but washing down her sweaty body (bathing after working out I'd assume?). Maybe it was the first time it happened, and the staff showing you around didn't want to say something when you were there, but hopefully they handled that later. I can't imagine them thinking that was appropriate or good for business.

What time of day do you work out? Could you work out at the gym and then shower at home? That's what I used to do B.C. (before Cathe :p) If you're super duper sweaty you could always throw a towel on over the car seat. I never did but my gym was kept ice cold (ahhhh) and I just told myself I'd be getting my car detailed someday. Worked for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.