my workout experiment

kariev

Cathlete
First off, i'm sick of lifting weights. i've been doing it for so long i'm just over it. Not to mention i don't want to build any more muscle. Second, i'm sick of long boring cardio. I hate logging minutes without any real purpose. My workouts are leaving me feeling drained and hungry and its making it hard for me to keep my calories where they need to be. So i'm going to do a little experiment of only using my body weight as resistance and only using interval types of workouts for my cardio. The kicker.......the workouts will be no longer then 30 minutes for 5-6 days per week. I'm sick of just logging my workouts based off of the amount of time they last. I want to replace half of the time I normally workout (45-60 minutes) with intensity. So I'm going to do 3 body weight resistance only workouts lasting 30 min and 2-3 30 minute interval cardio sessions. I find that when I have done cathe's new HIIT workouts that I'm invigorated for the day and don't feel exhausted. Heavy weight training for an hour also makes my energy levels drop and I develop a terrible appetite. So for today this is what I did.

1 minute pushups (I dropped to my knees when I couldn't do regular ones)
1 minute jump squats
1 minute revers crunches
1 minute negative pullups (I count reps with this one because I want to improve on these. right now I can only do 10 in the minute time allotment)
1 minute high step ups

Then rest for one minute and repeat 4 more times. It was a killer! I enjoyed doing things for time as opposed to reps. I will then use variations of the above exercises for different body weight circuits throughout the week. I'm looking to rev my metabolism in the least amount of time. I had so much energy after this workout and the workout itself went by so quick. So tomorrow I will do 30 minutes of interval running. So I just wanted to share this. I'm going to stick with it for at least a month and see what happens. I'm just over weights, isolation exercises for muscles, and steady state cardio.

Wow, this looks really good! I have been thinking of doing something along very similar lines. Let us know how it turns out!

Kariev,

You will have to keep us updated. I have recently been in awe of the young gymnasts where my DD goes. I mean these girls are strong as all get out and never lift anything more than their own bodyweight.

I will keep you guys posted. I was thinking about something lately, its like I'm pushing heavy weights for my chest, back, etc. but I struggle with doing more then 15 real pushups in a row and i can only do 2 real full pullups. I want to be strong with my own body, not by external weights.

Kariev,

I do many workouts like the one you posted. I use equipment though like kettlebells, jump rope and med balls. This is one that I did last weekend.

It was killer but fun at the same time.

3 Rounds
1 minute work/50 seconds rest

Slam Ball
Kettlebell Swings
Kettlebell Sumo DLHP
Jump Rope
Walking Lunges
Jump Squats
At the end of the workout I set the timer for 3 minutes and ran the driveway up and back as many times as I could.

Here is another idea that you can do. Do as many rounds as possible of the following exercises for 30 minutes.
Run 200 meters
25 Squats
25 Push Ups
25 Walking Lunges
25 Sit ups

Have fun!

Sounds like Turbulence Training, which are very good workouts. Go Kariev!!

yeah, i've done TT and got good results but I just wanted to create my own workouts instead.

lioness: thanks for the workouts. what weight do you use for your kettlebell and med ball?

lioness: thanks for the workouts. what weight do you use for your kettlebell and med ball?

For this workout I used my 35# bell for both the swings and Sumo Deadlift High Pulls.

I used a 25# for the ball slams. I love ball slams because it works your entire body ~ shoulders, abs and legs. If you do ball slams, make sure you do not use a ball that bounces.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.