my most humiliating moment in history

Tallchick

Cathlete
Worst day of my life: I was ten years old. I was a bit nervous brushing my hair preparing for my swimming lesson; I put on my new glasses. They were the oversized plastic variety; very flattering I’m sure. I was attempting to look as sophisticated as possible. I primped for my seventeen-year-old dream man, the lifeguard and swimming teacher at the local high school.
The lesson began like any other. My favorite lifeguard, with his dreamy hazel eyes and orange low-slung swimming trunks started by having us swim a couple of laps. I had swum one lap and on the way back I had had enough and just stopped moving. I reached for the bottom of the pool with my foot and realized that I was in too deep. I began to take on water. I was coughing and sputtering and sinking.
Then it happened. My faux boyfriend, the lifeguard, seemed to be moving in slow motion. He took two steps on the cement and flew into the pool. His muscled arms and his shaggy hair and those knee-weakening hazel eyes seemed to be sailing to me. His wet hair managed to remain perfectly tousled even in the pool, he still looked great even with his dark locks sopping wet. He was beautiful. (I felt like crying)
He took me in his arms and held me and told me to breathe. He asked me if I was ok. I definitely was NOT OK. I wish he had let me drown. My utter humiliation was complete.
After that lesson when I left my house to go to swimming lessons, I actually just rode my bike for an hour, turned a hose on myself to get wet, and went home. I never returned to the pool. That was absolutely the worst day of my life.

When I was 15, I had the biggest crush on the boy across the street, who was 17 with his own car. His name was Ed. I was way to shy to actually tell him I liked him, so I decided to have a party and invite him as my "date". Of course, I didn't really say the "as my date" part when I asked him to come. I just assumed he would know. I have no idea how he was supposed to know.

So, a few days before the party, a whole bunch of us were playing tennis. All my friends. He mentioned that he was bringing someone to my party. I just sort of laughed/choked and went off, as it was my turn to play. When I came back, I guess my friends had told him that I thought he was coming as my date. And so he said to me, in front of all my friends, male and female "oh Shelley, I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were expecting me to be your date. But really, I like girls with a little more on top than you".

I cancelled the party.+

I've forgotten a lot of my embarassing moments, I guess. Good for me!! I'm having a hard time coming up with any. Grades 6-8 were all a blur of embarassing moments, but none stick out as particularly painful.

Then again, I'm in law school now, enduring the Socratic method, so give me a little time and I'm sure I'll have several! ;)

I'm sure I've had some pretty humiliating experiences...in fact, I know I have, but none to top Tallchick's or Shelley's. Both of those are really pretty bad. And that 17 year old idiot Shelley invited to her party was a real loser. A mean loser.

>I've forgotten a lot of my embarassing moments, I guess.
>Good for me!! I'm having a hard time coming up with any.
>Grades 6-8 were all a blur of embarassing moments, but none
>stick out as particularly painful.
>

I've also forgotten them, and really don't want to dredge them up again either, so I'm not going to try.

Adolescence is not kind to many people!

My moment is not as dramatic as yours, Tallchic, but it was humiliting and, actually, pretty funny. (By the way, you should be a writer).

I was about 16 and walking through the downtown area. A carload of my friends went by and called out to me. I looked their way and started to wave, then SMACK!!! I walked right into a parking meter. It just about knocked me out cold. It was really embarrassing and everybody saw it! To this day, I ignore people when I'm walking down the street.

Then, on the very day I got my drivers license, I collided with another car as I was trying to execute a left hand turn. Again, it was the busiest intersection downtown and witnessed by hoards of people. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance (thank God I was okay and released). I was cited for failure to yield the right of way and when I went to court the judge looked at me, grinned, and said "tough luck, kid". I've had a perfect driving record ever since.

Michele

Egads, most of my embarrasing moments center around the fact that I hit the wall of puberty full force around age 11 (zits, huge glasses, bad hairdo, you name it!) while my extremely attractive older sister (we are only 10 months apart) sailed through with nary a pimple. Some of the more horrifying moments were having people say things like, "your sister is so pretty! You guys look nothing alike!" or having a guy I had a major crush on ask me for my phone number - then tell me that he wanted it to call my sister, not me. The worst though, I'm 11, at my parent's pool party, and meet this man, one of the guests. He tells me that he just met my sister, looks me up and down, and says, "So, I guess they tell you you're the smart one." Jerk. I wanted to die.

On a more humerous note, I once accidentally sent a business fax signed 'I love you'. the client called back laughing and say, well we love you too! :)

Sparrow

I have one, but I was older in my early 20s. I rarely ever wear dresses, but thought I would wear one to work one day. I borrowed a half slip from my mom since I didn't own one. It was a little big, I didn't think anything about it. My husand and I stopped at the grocery store for something. As I was walking through the store I felt the slip start to SLIP. I pulled it up and kept going. Well, that didn't work. It literally just started falling off. Some work men saw this happening and started following me around the store. I kept trying to find a corner in the store so I could pull it back up. (It never dawned on me to go to the restroom.) I was so embarrassed that I threw down whatever it was I was buying, got out as fast as I could to the car, and cried. I made my husband take me home to change clothes. If something like that were to happen to me now, I would probably just take the slip off and give it to the guys. }(

I actually do have a moment from middle school that involves a boy, but not as bad as above. I liked this boy and had wrote it in a note to my best friend. She dropped the note and HE happened to be the one who found it. He came up to me at my locker in between classes (so everyone was there) and said "I don't EVEN like you." Well, I looked back at him and said "I don't EVEN care." I did care, but wasn't going to let anyone know that I did.;-)

I grew up pretty poor so when I was in jr. high and the "cool girls" invited me to a party, I became so excited I could barely function! My mom saved some money and took me to Dayton's (now known as Marshall Field's) and bought me an Esprit shirt and some Guess jeans she couldn't afford. The day of the party came and I was so nervous and so happy I needed to remind myself to breathe. My mom dropped me off with a wave and a smile at the indicated party locale. After about an hour of waiting in silence and solitude, I realized it had all been a joke. I couldn't return home, as I didn't want my mom to know she'd raised a nerd, and I couldn't think of anywhere to go. I walked the 7 miles home (it seemed like a long distance) in tears and anger. When I reached my house, I ran through the front room toward my bedroom, yelling, "I had a great time - thanks so much for driving me, mom! I'll tell you all about it tomorrow. I'm really tired right now from all the fun we had!"

IMHO, girls are the nastiest creatures on earth. That is so mean. Sometimes I think that the boys are just idiots. You know what I mean? they're not mean spirited, they just don't know any better. But girls...we're an evil lot!! I think girls perpetrate crimes against other girls with absolute malice of forethought.

Michele

>I grew up pretty poor so when I was in jr. high and the "cool
>girls" invited me to a party, I became so excited I could
>barely function! My mom saved some money and took me to
>Dayton's (now known as Marshall Field's) and bought me an
>Esprit shirt and some Guess jeans she couldn't afford. The
>day of the party came and I was so nervous and so happy I
>needed to remind myself to breathe. My mom dropped me off
>with a wave and a smile at the indicated party locale. After
>about an hour of waiting in silence and solitude, I realized
>it had all been a joke. I couldn't return home, as I didn't
>want my mom to know she'd raised a nerd, and I couldn't think
>of anywhere to go. I walked the 7 miles home (it seemed like
>a long distance) in tears and anger. When I reached my house,
>I ran through the front room toward my bedroom, yelling, "I
>had a great time - thanks so much for driving me, mom! I'll
>tell you all about it tomorrow. I'm really tired right now
>from all the fun we had!"

Jillybean, that is so cruel! I actually have tears in my eyes for you, all these years later!! I have been there, believe me. I take mean pleasure in the fact that I am a "nerd made good" now with a successful life. And, I'll bet not one of those girls could make it through BC! :p

Sparrow

RE: Jilly

Hey Girlfriend,
What a bunch of mean girls. That is terrible. I'm so glad that I have gotten to know you and get to hang out with you every couple of months!

Joanne

RE: Jilly

>>As I was walking through the store I felt the slip start to SLIP. I pulled it up and kept going. Well, that didn't work. It literally just started falling off.<<

My sister was at a friend's wedding many years ago where the bride's slip did the same thing as she was walking down the aisle. I think it was one of those crinoline thingies. Anyhow, it actually wound up trailing her down the aisle behind and half attached to her dress. Her bridesmaids formed a protective huddle when she got to the altar, and she put the slip on and got married. I think they laughed about it afterwards, but it's been many years since my sister told this story, so I can't remember.

When I was about 12yrs old my school was having those famous “Worlds Greatest Chocolate” sales. Well this particular day, my mother had taken me to the dentist to get a cavity filled, then immediately after we went to the grocery store where my mother went in to shop, and I was left out front to sell my chocolate. This was, mind you, awhile ago when predators weren’t such a worry. Now I would never leave my 12yr old daughter in front of any grocery store, at least not in the town I live in. Anyway, I was there in front of the store, selling my wares, while my mouth was still numb from the Novocain. As you can imagine, I was slurring my words and very likely drooling a bit. I was actually having a great selling day and everyone was so very kind to me. One gentleman actually kneeled down so he was at eye level with me, spoke to me for a bit and bought four of those chocolate bars. It occurred to me right after that gentleman left with four chocolate bars that all these extremely kind people thought I was a little slow, if you know what I mean.

6th grade.....walking home from school which was about 3 miles away. I never liked to go to the bathroom at school because I was afraid of being harassed by bullies. Had to pee urgently and was walking on a busy street with apartments, cars whizzing by( no pun intended!). All of a sudden, I started peeing on the sidewalk, utter humilation. I went home, crying, locked myself in the bathroom and never told my parents.
Lisa

Off the top of my head I can recall one embarrassing and one painful-embarrassing episode...

The merely embarrassing: slipping on a patch of ice - the kind of slip Fred Flintstone does, where he goes airborne, his legs shoot out in front of him and he slams down flat on his butt - in front of my freshman lecture hall at college. There was a huge crowd of people waiting outside for class, and I fell hard while my books went sailing into a snowbank. I had to pick my sore self up, ignore the hoots of laughter and rummage in the snowpile for my books. EM-barrassing.

The painful-embarrassing is a high-school memory - aren't they all?;( I was an awkward self-conscious teen who gained a lot of weight in my senior year, while my sister was the acknowledged beauty in the neighborhood. She had tons of guys calling her and chasing her. One time this guy called, she wasn't in, and he and I started talking. He'd never met me, only my sister, and she had less than NO interest in this guy and told me she had no problem with us talking. We'd have long involved personal phone conversations - the kind you can only have in high school. One evening he arranged to come by with some friends of his and take me to a party. When he saw me his face fell, and in the car he told me I was really nice and smart and funny...too bad I didn't look like my sister. I was so humiliated.

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.