My husband is the best husband amongst all husbands!

toughYrun

Cathlete
I know some of you remember Sarah/Imafitnessfreak who used to post on Cathe. Well, I just spent the most amazing birthday weekend with her.

Some of you also remember that I struggled with an injury for a couple of years and have just been back into running for the past year. I did just turn 50 and so have been taking it extremely slow. I had originally been hoping that I could be in shape to run the full marathon in Tucson on Dec 13. When I realized that this was not gonna happen I set my sights on the 1/2 instead. Sarah flew out from Ohio and we met up in the Phoenix airport on Dec 11. I had hoped that we could stay through until Monday so that we would not have to rush back to the airport after the 1/2 on Sunday. But, Sarah said that with her obligations to her kids and a work meeting that her husband could not miss she would have to return home on Sunday.

So we ran the 1/2 and rushed back to our room, ate, showered and then drove the almost 90 miles to Phoenix. We got to the airport without a minute to spare if we wanted to catch our flights home.

As we were heading toward the terminal Sarah started going through her airline paperwork. She pulled out a card and said "Oh, this is for you." Thinking that it was a birthday card that she had forgotten to give to me I thanked her and stuck it into my carryon bag since we needed to hurry to get to the check in counter. She wanted me to open it right then though, so I did. Here is what was written inside:

"Hi Babe! Happy 50th! (I hope this surprise held out....) YOU"RE GOING TO VEGAS! Since I can't be there with you, I guess you and Sarah will have to PARTY ON! I love you so much!"

Inside the card was an itinerary that included two tickets to Vegas, a night's stay at Treasure Island and two tickets to Cirque du Soleil. And he had paid for Sarah's entire trip!!

The two of them had been cooking this up for the past two months and I had absolutely no clue.

My heart grew a little fonder of him that day!

Anyway, for those of you who know Sarah, I just have to say that she is as awesome as she appears in cyber space!

How wonderful. Enjoy your trip. That is so thoughtful and it is so nice to hear such a loving story. It just gives me the warm fuzzies. Now I'm going to tell my husband all about it so he can have some ideas for our anniversary. :)

Wow - that was just an awesome surprise! I do remember Sarah too - I always liked sharing this cyberspace with her... I wish she would come back... :)

hope you had a fabulous time!

Wow! What a wonderful present! I must agree, for now, you do have the best husband! Of course, I'll make sure mine ranks up there, too! I just filled him in on your post! Tee, hee!

Hope you had a wonderful time!

Could your husband please divorce you and marry me?:p

So incredibly fabulous!!!! So are you back from Vegas or is that a trip coming up?

How fun to know that they spent so much time thinking of you. I hope you enjoyed your short stay in our usually-very-sunny city. I'm trying to remember Sunday and I think it was overcast that day -- wouldn't you know it! :cool:

WOW!!! Elaine what an awesome story! And YES your DH is truly one of the bestest!!

I am so happy to hear about you doing this half in Phoenix and meeting up with Sarah...:)...I can only imagine you had an incredible 50th Birthday!

Those Cirque du Soleil shows are so fun to watch. When I did the Vegas Half in 2007 I saw one of those shows with my 2 sisters. We had a blast.

I hope Sarah is doing well and I miss her here a lot...Thanks for sharing this great story...and although belated:

10.gif

Oh, Elaine, what a fabulous, fun surprise!

DH sounds like a keeper! Care to lend him out on occasion? :p

Wow, Elaine...that was some surprise! Hubby done good. :)

Congrats on finishing the 1/2, continued recovery vibes, and happy belated!!

OMG Elaine!!! I LOVE THAT STORY!!! :) I'm smiling from ear to ear and am so glad to hear you're back to running! Happy belated 50th Cheetah friend! (Once a Cheetah always a Cheetah!!! :) All the best!

That was a total Cathe forum flashback Elaine! Love it! :)

Take Care
Laurie

That is one thoughtful husband! :D

Here's a husband joke:

A very old man lay dying in his bed. In death's doorway, he sudddenly smelled the aroma of his favorite chocolate chip cookie wafting up the stairs.

He gathered his remaining strength and lifted himself from the bed. Leaning against the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom, and with even greater effort forced himself down the stairs, gripping the railing with both hands.

With labored breath, he leaned against the door frame, gazing into the kitchen. Were it not for death's agony, he would have thought himself already in heaven.

There, spread out on the kitchen table, were literally hundreds of his favorite chocolate chip cookies.

Was this heaven, or was it one final act of heroic love from his devoted wife, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man?

Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself toward the table. The aged and withered hand, shaking, made its way to a cookie at the edge of the table, when he was suddenly smacked with a spatula by his wife.

"Stay out of those," she said. "They're for the funeral."

OMG Elaine, what an AWESOME gift from an even awesomer (is that even a word? LOL!) husband!!! What an incredible loving and thoughtful thing to do!!! And how fun that you got to spend some time with Sarah! I DO remember her. She hasn't been on the forums in years. I hope she is well, and it sure would be nice if she popped in to say hello. Tell her she has been missed by many and wish her well for me. Congratulations on your race, too!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.