My boyfriend needs help losing weight...suggestions?

princessbear

Cathlete
So, my boyfriend has put on about 40-50 pounds after being sick with a blood-borne arthritic condition (reactive arthritis). He is finally ready to clean up his diet and start exercising and I want to help him. Any suggestions from anyone out there as to where he should turn? Clean eating is such a way of life for me, and I am a boring eater, able to eat the same thing day after day, and I want to make sure he is not bored with his food choices. I also want to help him start tracking his food intake/calories, etc., and am not sure which website is best for that.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to diet books, calorie tracking sites, etc. would be helpful.

TIA!!

I'm glad your boyfriend is feeling better!

Tosca Reno has an Eat Clean Diet for Men book you may want to get him! Also, others have raved about the Tom Venuto e-book, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.

As to online calorie tracking sites, there are so many and I don't use any of them because I use a free app for my iPhone that has worked great for me. Some that others have mentioned here are sparkpeople.com and fitday.com (I think that's the right address). I'm sure others will post their faves!

Are you working out together? I think that would be great!

I'm glad your boyfriend is feeling better!

Tosca Reno has an Eat Clean Diet for Men book you may want to get him! Also, others have raved about the Tom Venuto e-book, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.

As to online calorie tracking sites, there are so many and I don't use any of them because I use a free app for my iPhone that has worked great for me. Some that others have mentioned here are sparkpeople.com and fitday.com (I think that's the right address). I'm sure others will post their faves!

Are you working out together? I think that would be great!

I'm going to help him with a workout routine - but he works out at the gym and I work out at home - he isn't comfortable with free weights because of some injuries so he has some limitations, but I will go with him for a week or two and show him some stuff.

He has an iPhone - can you tell me what the free app is and he can download it?

I was thinking of Tosca's book - I currently subscribe to Clean Eating magazine and have made him a few dishes from the magazine that he has liked.

Thanks for the info!

Thankfully, most men can can lose weight pretty quickly. What's not so great, is that they tend to have a problem with "healthy foods". If he makes one small change in his diet per week, it will be a lot less painful, and he will be able to keep his metabolism going. For example, have him eat a healthy breakfast each day, and that's his only change for the first week. For the next week, he should have a healthy breakfast and then a healthy midmorning snack, etc. until his diet has almost completely changed in 5-6 weeks without making a drastic change all at once.

Thankfully, most men can can lose weight pretty quickly. What's not so great, is that they tend to have a problem with "healthy foods". If he makes one small change in his diet per week, it will be a lot less painful, and he will be able to keep his metabolism going. For example, have him eat a healthy breakfast each day, and that's his only change for the first week. For the next week, he should have a healthy breakfast and then a healthy midmorning snack, etc. until his diet has almost completely changed in 5-6 weeks without making a drastic change all at once.

Funny - that's what I decided to do with him... This first week I asked him to cut out his cake/pie/cookies, etc. at night after dinner. He says he has so far so that is good.... and he's already thinking healthier about what he eats...Thanks everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.