My baby has finally arrived!!

dcat

Cathlete
I have a beautiful baby girl. Her name is Nora Evelyn. She was born on Monday, August 23 at 2:36a.m. That was 12 days past her due date! She weighed in at 8 lbs. even, and 20 inches. She shares a birthday with my mother and my aunt, my mom's sister - they are frateral twins.

It was a long labor. My doctor wanted me in for an induction Sunday, August 22 if I hadn't showed signs of labor by Saturday night. Even though he stripped my membranes because I had finally dilated to 1cm at 41 weeks, it did not progress. So my husband and I went to the hospital Saturday night at 8p. to start the induction process.

Overnight they gave me prostaglandins to ripen my cervix with intentions of starting the pit drip around 7a but it wasn't needed. At 6:30a my water broke and labor pains kicked right in. They were very intense for 4 1/2 hrs. After an epidural and monitoring until about 5:30p promising contractions started to slow. So they started the pit drip after all and cranked it up gradually. Again, the contractions kicked in and it all looked promising for a vaginal delivery. By 10p I was at 6-7 cm but it didn't progress from there. The whole time, the baby was doing well, strong heartbeat and handling the contractions. But we didn't want to extend the labor and chance distress to the baby.

So at 1:30a on the 23rd it was decided I needed a c-section. And at 2:36a little Nora was delivered. During the procedure I just concentrated on hearing my baby's cry and did she cry! My husband said she pinked right up very quickly. She is very strong and healthy.

My husband and I were exhausted by 7a.m. Monday when we finally could get some sleep. We were supposed to be able to sleep Saturday night into Sunday but I had major back pain, not back labor, just pain, that didn't ease up until the epidural. And, of course, my feet were sore, too. But it was hard to sleep at all the whole time even after the epidural. Basically, we were up since Saturday morning until Monday morning. And of course it still was hard to sleep because of all the monitoring the nurses have to do. We didn't leave the hospital until Friday afternoon but we did enjoy our stay, believe it or not!

Little Nora is such a blessing to us, she has filled our lives with such love and joy and she's only 9 days old. I've been really emotional (ok, so the hormones are still raging a bit!) My l&d story sounds rough but most women have a much easier time so don't worry about it new moms-to-be!

Thanks to all who encouraged me through major back and feet pain, sleepless nights, and general aches and pains. Most are easing up now and I'm on the road to healing and recovery. I look forward to post-partum check-ins once I get the go-ahead from my doctor (probably 6-8 weeks or so). Good luck to all who are expecting.

Stacey- I'll be looking for your story!

Diana
Nora Evelyn born 8-23-04

Diana~Congratulations on the birth of Nora Evelyn. (Such a pretty name!) Wow, sounds like you went thru a lot but I know how easily it is all forgotten once you see that sweet face. Glad you focused on hearing her first cry. Hope you are able to find a bit of rest now that you are home. Give Nora a BIG hug for us.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Congratulations Diana! I'm sorry you had such a hard time. I'm glad everything turned out well in the end. That's what so scary about labor and delivery, everything is so unpredictable! Take care of yourself and enjoy your beautiful daughter.

Jacque
EDD 10-04-04

Diana - I am so happy for you! It's great to hear that your beautiful darling daughter has finally arrived. Somehow, I thought you would have a little baby girl. Don't you feel so complete? Best wishes to you and your new family.

Take care,
Stacey

I hope to be posting a birth story very soon!

Yeah! A new baby girl! How fun. I bet she's just adorable. Thanks for sharing your L&D story. God bless!

**Melanie**
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Diana, congratulations!!! I read your story and I have tears in my eyes:) Nora is such a beautiful name. I am a first time mom (well, I will be a mom in March), but your story didn't scare me at all. Enjoy your daughter and take it easy!
-Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.