Music Disclaimers

mrsprincess07

Cathlete
I purchased Great Glutes just now and read this in the description:

"Though we cant please everyones musical taste, Triple Tracks Audio is an industry first that should please the majority of workout enthusiasts."

I was a little shocked that something like this has to actually be printed on workout descriptions and packaging. Most of us know that there was a time when Cathe's music selection was top-notch. However with federal laws and copyright issues/changing, how we obtain music has changed for everyone. I find it odd (and it might just be me) that more people do not understand the huge financial expense that goes with purchasing limited usage rights to music nowadays. I read this and felt a little appalled, almost as if there is an entitlement issue involved. I say this because I've seen the threads all over the net discussing Cathe's current choices in music, some people assume that for the price they pay AND for how much Cathe is making on these (seriously, I've seen that ones numerous times), that actual hit music should still be used.

I guess I'm a little upset that people do not understand Cathe/Cathe.com is considered a small business. This is not Warner Bros or Lyons Gate. Multi-BILLION dollar companies can afford the actual hits, should they choose to use them. Small businesses simply cannot, and expecting them to is unrealistic. We are comparing apples to oranges. I wish companies wouldn't have to include warnings and disclaimers like these. It's kind of like the "Hot" warning label on coffee drinks; all because of a special few.

If I may, I think you are looking at this all wrong.
First off, you know nothing about Fitness Music and purchasing the right to use such music for purposes of a workout video. Cathe had a very good run with BKHowe and Big Beat Muzic for several years and now that well has run dry. She has been trying to find a comparable vendor to please the customers that have come to love the music. Regardless, that is a fixed cost of video production and there are several vendors that provide this service.
Secondly, whether big or small, Cathe.com IS a business, and we are her customers. If you can't please your customers, you have no business. Music is as much a part of the workout as the choreography, the cuing, and the content. I literally can't do Total Body Tri-Sets, Upper Body Split because I find the music so disgusting. So that is a bad purchase/waste of money that may deter me from purchasing another Cathe video. (It won't, but it could)
Lastly, I think it is a testament to Cathe and her commitment to making quality videos by actually listening to the feedback of her customers, cruising the forum content, and as a result, offering multiple audio options. As she navigates through different vendors, she is taking the feedback to adjust and improve so as to keep her customer base. And as a logistical point, I think most would put the video in and hit play, never exploring the Audio Settings Menu Line item. Listing this on the box steers your awareness towards this option.

"First off, you know nothing about Fitness Music and purchasing the right to use such music for purposes of a workout video"

LOL! Am I to assume you were one of the ones that complained about music?! I am quite aware of her run with other vendors. There isn't a fixed cost anymore. Copyrights and since most music is now held in the Congressional Library, as added extreme costs when purchasing music, especially the rights to use said music in productions. That's been a lengthy talking piece both here via blogs and forums, as well as news outlets.

I'm not a warning label kinda gal. I also don't think businesses need to loose money for a minority of customers.

Last edited:
"Though we cant please everyone's musical taste, Triple Tracks Audio is an industry first that should please the majority of workout enthusiasts."

I have no trouble viewing this on Cathe's DVD boxes. She is advertising the fact that there is something unique to the music in her workouts. This is a plus and a selling point, not a minus at all.

I don't understand the thrust of or need for this original post from MrsPrincess. It comes out of the blue, somewhat, something of a non-sequitur. No need to stir up old news, old arguments that have been done and dusted and filed away.

Any client of Cathe's who purchases her product, and has been doing so faithfully over the years, has the right to make comment about what she (or he) would like to see and hear. It is not an insult to Cathe, just customers expressing desires regarding products they wish to purchase. As any businesswoman, Cathe listens, reacts, or justifies her choices and actions. You yourself, MrsPrincess, have complained and criticized, here and on other forums, so there is no need to come on here now, after a long absence, and start picking fights with forum members whom you target as those who "complained about the music way back when."

Let's move on, shall we?

Clare

I purchased Great Glutes just now and read this in the description:

"Though we cant please everyones musical taste, Triple Tracks Audio is an industry first that should please the majority of workout enthusiasts."

I was a little shocked that something like this has to actually be printed on workout descriptions and packaging. Most of us know that there was a time when Cathe's music selection was top-notch. However with federal laws and copyright issues/changing, how we obtain music has changed for everyone. I find it odd (and it might just be me) that more people do not understand the huge financial expense that goes with purchasing limited usage rights to music nowadays. I read this and felt a little appalled, almost as if there is an entitlement issue involved. I say this because I've seen the threads all over the net discussing Cathe's current choices in music, some people assume that for the price they pay AND for how much Cathe is making on these (seriously, I've seen that ones numerous times), that actual hit music should still be used.

I guess I'm a little upset that people do not understand Cathe/Cathe.com is considered a small business. This is not Warner Bros or Lyons Gate. Multi-BILLION dollar companies can afford the actual hits, should they choose to use them. Small businesses simply cannot, and expecting them to is unrealistic. We are comparing apples to oranges. I wish companies wouldn't have to include warnings and disclaimers like these. It's kind of like the "Hot" warning label on coffee drinks; all because of a special few.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. :) I'm sorry you are upset about the music disclaimer.

Music can be a touchy topic because it is so subjective. I can only speak for me, and I think Cathe.com made a very business savvy decision to introduce Triple Tracks Audio.

Music is a driving force for many exercise consumers. Music can destroy a workout or make it a motivating favorite go-to video! For me personally, it can make or break a potential purchase. Although I LOVE the vocal music (sound a-likes songs) in the new DVDs, I know there are many Cathe customers who do not care for them. I am glad they have the option to still support Cathe.com with their purchase and use the DVD with instrumental only OR listen to their own music playlist. Having options as a consumer is never a bad thing.

Labeling the DVD with the disclaimer not only distinguishes which DVD has that option vs. (older) other DVDs, it also educates those home exercisers that may be new to Cathe's DVDs.

Take care

"Any client of Cathe's who purchases her product, and has been doing so faithfully over the years, has the right to make comment about what she (or he) would like to see and hear..."

Why does this not pertain to me?! I've purchased faithfully over the years too.

Would that be because I didn't purchase the DVD when it was first released?! I didn't know that opinions expired by a certain date. I really don't think it's out of the blue, I'm new to this series, raising a baby will do that for some. I saw something "new to me", something I hadn't seen in other series and thought it was odd, sad; thus the "need" of the thread. If it's old hat for you, great! It's news for some of us.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. :) I'm sorry you are upset about the music disclaimer.

Music can be a touchy topic because it is so subjective. I can only speak for me, and I think Cathe.com made a very business savvy decision to introduce Triple Tracks Audio.

Music is a driving force for many exercise consumers. Music can destroy a workout or make it a motivating favorite go-to video! For me personally, it can make or break a potential purchase. Although I LOVE the vocal music (sound a-likes songs) in the new DVDs, I know there are many Cathe customers who do not care for them. I am glad they have the option to still support Cathe.com with their purchase and use the DVD with instrumental only OR listen to their own music playlist. Having options as a consumer is never a bad thing.

Labeling the DVD with the disclaimer not only distinguishes which DVD has that option vs. (older) other DVDs, it also educates those home exercisers that may be new to Cathe's DVDs.

Take care

:D

It's not the triple track or labeling of the triple track that I take issue with, it's having to make the disclaimer that while they try to please as many customers as possible, they simply can't. I think that's sad that a company has to put it in writing that they can't please everyone! Seriously, are we not adults?! Do we really have to make it such a touchy subject that the company warns that some may still find some issues with music choice and options?

That's all my beef is with. Triple tracks is a technology thing for me, something I can live with or without. If technology allows for this, that's really awesome! I can't download apps, so using TT is lost on me. It's not the technology that is the issue at hand for me.

OMG I'm totally lost with any new technology myself and need my 14 year old to help me use the internet without messing up the laptop! I do understand the importance of music to some and Cathe truly cares about her supporters so I think she's trying to go above and beyond what other businesses will do to keep us coming back for more.
Actually, my main reason for responding is to say CONGRATULATIONS on baby #2 mrsprincess!:eek: But thought I should really try to have something intelligent to add to the conversation!!
Jamie

Wow
I am not sure why the fuss. I think what you are saying is the same thing that I kind of get a giggle at when I read something like "no not stick your fingers in the fan blades" lol
I'm not sure but that is my thinking, I mean to HAVE to put a label to explain y you are putting the music you have I see what you are saying and u agree with you. It is just the way it is now days I suppose. And as far as everyone else who replayed to the thread I understand what they are saying to but I think they may have missed what you were actually were saying. Maybe they thought you were attacking the company itself? Idk.
I know it seems most companies don't care about customer service so to see a company that does care as much as Cathes is really refreshing. Just two days ago I wanted a photo on canvas, oh wow it looked like an elementary kid put a photo on thick cardboard box! And it was all scratched. It was not good and they lost my other photos!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.