muscle vs. fat

Ela

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I've been doing STS for the second time around and notice I've been gaining a couple pounds. My clothes fit just fine so I guess I must be shrinking replacing fat with muscle. I am confused about all the different opinions regarding "muscle weighs more than fat". A pound of fat weighs exactly what a pound of muscle weighs. But if that is the case then why do I gain weight? I've been very strict on my eating habits for pretty much all my life. So my weight gain does not make sense. Any suggestions?

Ela

Muscle is more dense than fat, so the same weight takes up less space. I think when people say muscle weighs less than fat what they really mean is when comparing equal volumes of muscle and fat the muscle will weigh more

Bottom line is you're doing it right :)

Muscle is more dense than fat, so the same weight takes up less space. I think when people say muscle weighs less than fat what they really mean is when comparing equal volumes of muscle and fat the muscle will weigh more Bottom line is you're doing it right :)

I meant weighs more there, not less :)

Hi Ela,

What Sue said is correct. One pound of muscle weighs one pound. One pound of fat weighs...one pound. The difference is in the volume. Muscle is more dense so it takes up less space. It would be more accurate to say that one cup of muscle weighs more than one cup of fat. That's why someone who works out with weights should probably ignore the scale and go by how they look.

I'd say more but Cathe's Blog did an article that hit on this subject back in September of 2011. I remembered reading it back then so I looked for it to pass on to you. So, instead of me rambling on, here's the link.

It's a good read. I remember back then feeling quite pleased that someone respected in the fitness industry was clarifying this fitness myth (or misunderstanding IMO) that I first heard in 7th grade (30 something years ago) from my health teacher and from many others since then.

Here's the link: Cathe Friedrich - Weight Lifting for a Toned, Defined Physique

Hope it helps.

Fitness Friend,

Teals

Hi Teals,

thank you so very much for your input and guidance. I truly appreciate it. I haven't been on the site for some time and just saw your reply.:)

Once again thank you so much for your help!!!

Ela:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.