muscle building/leaning out

Muscle building is gaining mass. Leaning out is, like Wendy said, burning the flab that's covering the muscle. I also think leaning out is burning intramuscular fat, or the fat within the muscle. I do one, then I do the other, although I believe it's possible to do both at the same time. (Just look at those P90X before-and-afters on beachbody.com.) It's just harder. For me anyway.

Pinky

Okey Dokey. Now, what's the difference in the actual workout?

What would you do to build muscle?

What would you do to lean out?

>What would you do to build muscle?
Lift heavy. Use workouts like PS, Pyramids, S&H, Gym Styles. It also pays to do some endurance work -- PH, ME, PP/SS, MM. Have an eating plan that will provide you with the energy you need for the workouts and support recovery.

>What would you do to lean out?
Cardio (step aerobics, kickboxing, running, etc.), interval training (IMAXes), cross training (Bootcamp, high step workouts, C&W, Circuit Max). Cut some calories and carbs. Not so much; just enough to make the body slowly burn its fat stores.

Pinky

When I researched leaning out, I got tons of info and then set a plan in motion for myself. It's customized for me, but it could be tweaked for others.

My workout routine really didn't change. I follow a rotation and change the rotations. I've been doing videos for about 18 months and have lots of muscles under the fat layer, so I was ready to begin leaning out.

The key for me was my food. I began keeping a full journal. My goal was 1500-1800 calories per day. 20% fat (max of 30%) so I could have about 20-45g fat per day. I also wanted about 1g of protien per pound of body weight per day. I started of Feb 7 and have lost 8 pounds in about 2 months. About 2 pounds per week. My muscles are getting bigger (YEAH!!) and my fat layer is shrinking. Last week, I moved my numbers back so now I'm doing 1300-1500 cals and my max fat is 40g per day, but I try to stay around 25-30.

Sometimes if you find yourself working out and working out and working out and you're staying the same, it's time to check the diet. It made all the difference for me.

Muscle building also requires more recovery time, as that's when the muscles are built. A workout that has longer recoveries between moves so you can lift heavier, and a rotation that leaves more recovery time (ie: P90X upper body workouts) would be important.

Hi Tammy,

Where did you get the information you needed to build a nutrition plan for yourself? I'm quie interested as I have been trying to lose about 10 pounds, build some muscle and hopefully some day, see some definition. I'm 5'3", 130 lbs., small frame - although now you may not think me so small unless you saw my wrists. I'm not quite the "skinny fat" but I'm getting there. As I recently turned 40..... okay let me quit kidding myself or rather you guys, I've been having problems with weight gain for the last 2.5 to 3 years!! It makes me very upset and it's quite unmotivating and depressing.

Enough already from me! I'm not here for pity or pats on the back just some helpful advice!

Many Thanks,
Angie

Angie,

I actually went to Yahoo and did a search on "leaning out" and got tons of sites. I had to weed through the chemical supplements, but I checked out about 15 to 20 different pages and kept the gold and chucked the ka-ka. If it made sense, I kept it. If it sounded like I had to buy something, I chucked it.

Diet is such an individual thing that each person must find out what works. I can't tell you how much my dad had been trying to get me to go on Atkins. It works for him, but with my high cholesterol, I needed something different.

I do recommend keeping a journal, though. For me, that was the key. Having to look things up in my calorie counter book really opened my eyes to what I was eating. For example, I wanted a pancake today, but found out that maple syrup is 846 calories per cup!! Yowza! Keeping a journal helps me to make better choices and to be accountable for every little bite I put in my mouth, so I make sure those bites are worth it.

>. It works for him, but with
>my high cholesterol, I needed something different.
>

Tammy J,

Is your high cholesterol a part of your genes? I have genetically high cholesterol and several doctors have been trying to get me on medicine. Just curious. Also wondering if changing your diet helped yours at all? I changed my diet and only saw a small decrease from 300 to 278.

I guess I should post this is a new thread.

Dallas

Dallas,

My cholesterol is a gift from my family tree. It's genetic. My cholesterol was up at 290 at one point. Yeeeek!! But now with diet and exercise, it's about 210 with the cholesterol diet (also known as Step One Diet) and my HDL is at 80. So my numbers have improved a lot with the diet. They changed for the better with exercise, but the diet made the best improvement overall.

>Dallas,
>
>My cholesterol is a gift from my family tree. It's genetic. My
>cholesterol was up at 290 at one point. Yeeeek!! But now with
>diet and exercise, it's about 210 with the cholesterol diet
>(also known as Step One Diet) and my HDL is at 80. So my
>numbers have improved a lot with the diet. They changed for
>the better with exercise, but the diet made the best
>improvement overall.

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that Step One Diet on the internet. I found my report and I was off on my numbers. My total cholesterol went down to 267 HDL: 78, LDL:178. I have to be retested in 3 months, so if I don't get it down more my dr. will certainly not take no for an answer as far as the meds are concerned. Frankly, I don't know if I could work out any more to get it down. I already do 6-7 days. So, this diet will have to be the answer.

Thank you so much!

Dallas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.