Multi-Vitamin

mackenzie

Cathlete
What multi-vitamins do you use? Is it really necessary to spend a lot of money for a good multi-vitamin? I listen to Jillian's podcasts and I remember her saying if you buy a multi-vitamin that's lower in price you are probably wasting your money. My doctor disagrees. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Hi Mackenzie! (Mackenzie is my dear niece's name. Love it!)

I think it's kind of a no brainer to take a multi vitamin. I mean, you might need it and you might not, but I don't see any harm.

I take One-A-Day. I am currently taking the one for Healthy Skin Support. I also take a calcium supplement, and extra Vitamin C, along with an Omega 3 Krill oil capsule.

Actually, if you eat a balanced diet, any multi-vitamin is a waste of money.

Interestingly, I had a physical 2 weeks ago and my doctor told me to stop taking multi-vitamins based on my health, diet, and blood work. She said I was only flushing money down the toilet. :eek:

I had never taken a multi-vitamin until 10 or so years ago, when I felt that I "should." Not sure why because I didn't have any vitamin or mineral deficiencies. I'm glad my doctor got me back on track!

I agree on a good diet, I think our bodies absorb vitamins best when it comes from food.

I still take a multi and some other vitamins - calcium, biotin, vitamin c, and silica (silica is so important for bones- almost as important as calcium) hair, nails and the soil food is grown in usually doesn't have enough silica anymore).

I'm using Nature Made brand which is ok for the price. It's probably better to try and get capsuled vitamins without a heavy, colored coating on them because that's what your body has to break down before getting to the vitamins.

I got some rainbow light vitamins at walmart maybe a year ago (about $10) and that is the only vitamin I've tried where I felt a difference. I think it was from the b vitamins (it does turn urine BRIGHT yellow) unfortunately I have the hardest time swallowing them, the tablets are kind of textured which I don't think helps. I saw some other rainbow light vitamins at whole foods which seemed like they may be smaller, so I may try them in hopes I like them as much as the first ones I had.

I've reduced and will stop all supplements very soon! I have taken Alive Multi for years and have cut down from the recommended 3 caps to 1 per day. Same with Health From the Sun Total EFAs. I thought it would be better to do a weaning off period rather than cut it off completely. I've added Kal Nutritional Yeast (check out the vitamins and minerals in it!) and ground flaxseed to my meals and I eat a lot of fish and veggies. I get enough calcium from my diet. The only thing I might continue taking is Vitamin D.
I believe, like many of the other ladies here, that as long as you are not suffering from a serious health condition and as long as you eat a well-balanced varied diet, you are peeing away good money if you take vitamins.;)

In general I do not like supplements. I am vegetarian so I do take a B12 and I started taking vitamins specifically for my eyes on the recommendation of my opthomologist. For some reason all supplements really upset my stomach so I just avoid them.

I agree nutrients are best from food - but I'm also a vitamin advocate. Even organic fruits/vegs are less nutrient dense today than prior generations. imho a good vitamin regimen can mean the difference between good health and optimal health and most doctors these days are sadly oriented to treatment rather than prevention... :eek: I'd rather spend some money on vitamins than treatments :p

I've tried a lot of multis - and food based agree with my digestion the best. I also notice a positive difference when I consistently eat them :D.

I like Rainbow Light (fairly economical and good quality) and New Chapter (definitely pricier, but excellent quality) brands - both food based. There are some excellent discount vitamin sites you can save 30-40% off retail by buying online.

Thanks for all the input. I feel better when I take a multi-vitamin. I just don't think you need to go broke buying them.

I take a multi, calcium, fish oil and iron. I'm chronically anemic and can really tell when I've slacked off on the iron. I think supplements can be inexpensive and helpful!

I agree that nothing beats a healthy diet but I read somewhere that strenuous exercise can deplete the body of it's nutrients.

I just go ahead and take a Centrum every day; it's not like they are expensive but I trust the brand, and what my body doesn't use it will get rid of.

I may switch, though, after reading about the color coating (which Centrum has) - that makes sense. Thank you, Nightowl!

I agree nutrients are best from food - but I'm also a vitamin advocate. Even organic fruits/vegs are less nutrient dense today than prior generations. imho a good vitamin regimen can mean the difference between good health and optimal health and most doctors these days are sadly oriented to treatment rather than prevention... :eek: I'd rather spend some money on vitamins than treatments :p

I've tried a lot of multis - and food based agree with my digestion the best. I also notice a positive difference when I consistently eat them :D.

I like Rainbow Light (fairly economical and good quality) and New Chapter (definitely pricier, but excellent quality) brands - both food based. There are some excellent discount vitamin sites you can save 30-40% off retail by buying online.

I like Rainbow Light, too. I take the Womens Just one (I hate ones that require multiple tablets a day). I definitely feel a difference.

I agree that nothing beats a healthy diet but I read somewhere that strenuous exercise can deplete the body of it's nutrients.

I just go ahead and take a Centrum every day; it's not like they are expensive but I trust the brand, and what my body doesn't use it will get rid of.

I may switch, though, after reading about the color coating (which Centrum has) - that makes sense. Thank you, Nightowl!

My doctor says that Centrum is fine and that you don't need to spend a lot of money for a good multi-vitamin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.