Morning exercisers-how early?

>This is my first time posting! I go on the forums and read
>all the posts but I have never registered. Once I saw
>lorajc's work-out time, I just had to ask some questions:
>what time do you start work, how long is your commute and what
>time do you go to bed? 2:15 -that is amazing!
>
>I myself just began morning work-outs, waking up at 4:50 to be
>done by 6:15. It is a good feeling knowing that you are done
>for the day and have accomplished so much so early in the day!
>
>
>

I start work at 8:00 am but it takes me about an hour (with walk from car) to get there and I'm usually 1/2 hour early every day. I go to bed at 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm - 10:00 pm at the latest. This routine started due to severe insomnia and a job that I used to have that I started at 4:30 am or 5:00 am. After I got a different job, the routine just stuck. I like getting up early and working out cuz nothing keeps you from working out, i.e., doctor appointments, having to stop at the store, bad day at work, etc. I also have to do a set of neck/shoulder stretches every morning for a herniated disc and that takes about 20 minutes. I know I don't get enough sleep, but if I sleep more than 6 hours for a couple nights in a row, I can't sleep for 2 nights and there's nothing worse than being awake for 2 days straight!

Wow, there are so many of us! I get up at 4:30, have a mug of coffee and start my workout at 5:00. I'm usually done by 6 or 6:30. I've been doing this for about 12 years now and even if I don't set my alarm, my eyes just pop open at 4:30 - even on weekends! I'm usually in bed by 8:30 and asleep by 9:30 at the latest.

Alexandra

I am up at 5 am every morning and I usually start working out by 5:30. I use to be an evening exerciser, but prefer the mornings much better now.

Aila

Hi Marcia,

I'm a morning exerciser too. 6AM for me....I'm usually up so late studying, other wise I'd be up at 5AM. I work full time and I'm in grad school.

I've always been a morning exerciser. It is the most consistent time of the day - the only time you have just for yourself and the only time that you control. If you don't get your morning workout in, its your fault, no one else's - while if you wait until after work - then the boss could ask you to stay late, or you have a fire to fight, or traffic, or fatigue, or rain, or sunshine, or whatever!

I will share a secret with you that I have shared with all of my friends and we are now all Morning exercisers.... It is always hard to start a morning program, even if you know it is the best time to do it. So what I tell my friends is to COMMIT TO 21 DAYS of morning workouts. Count them off on your calendar, Monday - Day 1, Tuesday Day 2, etc. If you rest, don't count it. Start over when you pick it up again, provided you only rest one day. More than 2 days, you start over. The closer you get to 21 days, the more your body will get in tune with waking up, putting on shoes, and hitting the floor. This is because repeating a task 21 times makes it a habit. After you reach 21 days, celebrate, then stretch your goal to 100. 100 repetitive taskes makes a habit automatic to your brain. You'll be so hooked to your morning fitness regimen, you wouldn't have it any other way! Plus, think how damn good you'll look after 100 workouts!!!!

;-)
Joy

I am up by 4:30 and my workout start time is 5:00. I work out until about 6:15, then soak in a hot bath about 15 mins. I usually like baths because my joints just feel better when they've been heated.

I also have a miniscule commute-about 8 minutes. I start work at 8:20, and I get there about 7:50. I'm a dental hygienist.

I have worked out with Cathe since 2001 but now more and more, I am practicing for my classes. I teach a step class on Saturday mornings and a Step and Sculpt class on Monday afternoons.

So now I select music CD's instead of DVD's. Lately I have done a couple though- got the HC series minus HC Extreme- and I have done IMax 3 (fun!) and MM quick version, and MM upper body. Looking forward to Gym Style- I've previewed but not done.

The mornings are the only times I can do it w/o interruption. Teaching is great though. There's no sabotaging that. Plus I get to use the lat pull-down machine when I show up early.

Hi Connie! Good to "see" you! It sounds like yoou're enjoying your classes! I've know, I owe you an email and have been meaning to write. Lot's going on in my department at work....they've moved my cube again!

Will write soon, I promise!

Alexandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.