more total body all weights DVD's...

tex grl

Hi,

I would like to see more total body all weights workouts with NO cardio what-so-ever. I would prefer if they were between 45 minutes & 75 minutes. I want to see more like Push Pull, Supersets, Muscle Max, and Muscle Endurance in the future.

I love Cathe! You have the most awesome video workouts I have ever done. However, I have a delicate right knee from 10 years of doing high impact aerobics & teaching aerobics and a recent car wreck!!! Please, Please create more total body all weights workouts with no cardio!!!!

:7

I'd like to see that also. Perhaps 75 min. to 90 min. long. Making sure we hit every single muscle in the body worked, and for at least 3 sets each.

That is a fantastic idea.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Similar to this, I'd like to see another 2-day split (upper and lower body) on one DVD with a premix (or two?) for a full body workout.

Kathryn,
I like both of these ideas...total body (75 to 90 min. long to allow for more recovery and heavier weights or more exercises to really hit every muscle group) and a 2-day split (upper and lower body) on one DVD with premixes.
Angela:7

> 75 to 90 min. long to
>allow for more recovery and heavier weights or more exercises
>to really hit every muscle group) .

I was thinking 75 to 90 minutes was too long (most sources recommend not over an hour), BUT if you're factoring in longer recovery between sets (like up to 2 minutes) then I can see that as a possibility.

I think by the time you work every muscle group including abs/core with a nice long stretch and some extra rests (I don't know about 2 minutes) it would be easy to get to 75 minutes. I guess a total body workout that is not quite as endurance based is what I'm looking for yet one with enough exercises to pick and choose one or two body parts a day if one wants.
Angela

Kathryn:

Your post reminded me of an idea I had posted earlier this year. I, too, wanted another two day split series. Also, as for a 75 min workout, MIS is exaclty 75 min and I feel that is a good, strength based workout. Okay, sorry to bore all of you with this again, but here it is:

Simple Strength Series
(No pulses or varying rep speeds or tempos within a set. The upper body portion uses dumbbells only (though barbell could be substituted))

WORKOUT ONE
Upper Body

Chest:
(1) Set of 16 push-ups on the knees (to prime muscles)
(2) Sets back to back of 12 push-ups at a 2 counts down/2 counts up
(2) Sets back to back of 12 flies, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 12 bench presses, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Triceps:
(1) Set of 16 non-weighted dips (to prime muscles)
(2) Sets back to back of 12 skull crushers, using heavy weights, at a 2 down/2 up tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 12 overhead French presses, using heavy weights, at a 2 down/2 up tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 12 kickbacks, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Shoulders:
(1) Set of 16 light-weight overhead military presses (to prime muscles)
(2) Sets back to back of 12 front raises, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 12 side lateral raises, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 12 rear delt flies, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Back:
(1) Set of 16 light-weight double-arm rows (to prime muscles)
(1) Set of 12 one-arm rows with arm adducted, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo – right side
(1) Set of 12 one-arm rows with arm adducted, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo – left side
(1) Set of 12 one-arm rows with arm abducted, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo – right side
(1) Set of 12 one-arm rows with arm abducted, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo – left side
(2) Sets back to back of 12 pullovers, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Biceps:
(1) Set of 16 light-weight standard curls (to prime muscles)
(2) Sets of 12 seated hammer curls, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(2) Sets of 12 standing standard curls, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(1) Set of 24 seated alternating curls, using heavy weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Abdominals

WORKOUT TWO
Lower Body

Thighs and Glutes
(1) Set of 16 light-weight squats (to prime muscles)
(2) Sets back to back of 12 squats, using heavy weights, at a 4 down/4 up tempo
(2) Sets back to back of slow leg presses, 12 on each leg using heavy weights.
(2) Sets back to back of static lunges, 12 on each leg using heavy weights, at a 4 down/4 up tempo

Put on your ankle weights and:
(2) Sets on each side of hamstring tucks – heels resting on a chair or step while you raise your hips up. Do 32 reps at a 2/2 count with the right leg extended in the air, then do 32 reps at a 2/2 count with the left leg extended in the air; switch and do 32 more on the right, then 32 more on the left.

Stand up and balance arms on a chairback and do
(1) Set of 24 leg extensions (lifting your leg up behind you) on the right leg, switch and do (1) set of 24 on the left leg.

Inner/Outer Thighs (you can keep your ankle weights on for the pliés, since the feet will be stationary.
(1) Set of 16 light weight plié squats (to prime the muscles)
(2) Sets back to back of 12 plié squats, using heavy weights, at a 4 down/4 up tempo
(2) Sets back to back of outer thigh lifts, 16 on each leg (balancing on a chair or holding on to a wall or barbell), using ankle weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

Lying Inner/Outer Thigh Work
(2) Sets back to back of 32 outer thigh lifts, using ankle weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo
(2) Sets back to back of 32 inner thigh lifts, using ankle weights, at a 2 up/2 down tempo

End with either abs and a stretch, or just abs.

I just did Muscle Max last night and was thinking exactly the same thing afterwards. That is, I wish I had more workouts similar to this one. I also love SS/PP, Power Hour and Muscle Endurence. I would love more totatl body workouts by Cathe. She makes the absolute best workouts:D Helen

Another thought on a possible format (after seeing another of Jillybean's posts):

Begin with legs, then do a circuit of chest/shoulders/triceps (focusing on a pace that allows for heavy weights, and allowing about 30 seconds recovery between sets, then a longer break after a chets/shoulder/tricep circuit has been completed, then moving on to another c/sh/t grouping: this allows muscle recovery while making for a very time-efficient workout.)

After c/s/tri are finished, do another lower body segment (to allow the smaller muscles of the upper body a break before going on with more upper body work), then finish with a segment alternating back and bicep exercises. This could be a floor segment, perhaps, just to add variety.

jillybean, I am so glad that I hopped back on here and read your reply. I absolutely love, love, love this routine of yours. I printed a while back and just thinks it's great!!!

Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.