More Endurance..PLEASE

oyez3

I'm a long time reader but first time poster to the forums. I'm looking for advice from Cathe or any of her educated Cathletes.
I'm in the last 2 weeks of my 3rd round of STS Strength. I've had amazing results with it-I've increased my strength by about 10% & can now feel muscles I never even knew I had! (Thanks Cathe!)
My problem is with Endurance. I tried Cathe's rotation with STS Strength & Cardio. NO WAY! I gave it my all for 2 weeks & finely had to throw in THAT towel! I sub'd other Cathe DVD's & still can't make it through more than 35 mins. of any of them. I am 51 & experiencing perimenopausal symptoms, especially fluctuating hormone levels that leave me extremely fatigued most of the time. After I complete this STS round I'd like to concentrate my w/o's on building up my endurance level. Any advice on the best way to do this? Anyone else out there having or have had a similar experience?

Hi Oyez3,

I know what you're talking about. I'm 49 and I have battled low endurance as well. However, while doing STS my 2nd time through I began running rather than cardio dvds on my cardio days. I've tried running before and I just wimped out in a hurry. Never was a runner. However, I found that I was able to run 1.7 miles (the distance around my block) twice. I absolutely shocked myself. I had no idea I would be able to do that. I'd never been able to do it before so I had no reason to think I would be able to do it. When I was running I was like, what is going on? Why can I breathe? It was truly amazing for me.

I suggest you try a non Cathe cardio experience. An older cardio dvd you did before Cathe or running or biking or something. Use that as your measure. Whenever I workout with Cathe I try to do everything as high and as deep as they do to maximize results. You probably do to. So you think you aren't increasing your endurance when in fact you are because you are likely working in a deeper range of motion or jumping higher or faster. Just give an old workout a try and see what you're able to do. You'll probably surprise yourself.

Hi Oyez3! Tracy is right (thanks Tracy) in that you have probably gained more endurance than you give yourself credit for. I think it is a good idea, as a test, to go back to a cardio you always did and see how you do now. I had the same experience when I was expecting to drag doing a cardio activity and I actually breezed through it. It is a great confidence booster :D

That being said, what works for one individual does not work for another. You may very well need more rest days between your cardio workouts, or less intense cardio workouts or shorter cardio workouts. Try some experimenting with these suggestions and see if you have more energy as a result. Be sure your diet, sleep cycle, and water intake are all optimal too. If anyone of these are off for a day or two you will feel it immediately.

Finally, perimenopausal symptoms are very significant symptoms and very elusive too. During this transition you can have awesome energy one day and feel like you were run over by a truck the next. So what I'm saying is sometimes no matter how "perfect" our training conditions are we can't control the uncontrollable. Recognize when you are having one of "those days" and do only what you can. Don't get frustrated or stressed about it...just go with what you got.

Good Luck!

I'm a long time reader but first time poster to the forums. I'm looking for advice from Cathe or any of her educated Cathletes.
I'm in the last 2 weeks of my 3rd round of STS Strength. I've had amazing results with it-I've increased my strength by about 10% & can now feel muscles I never even knew I had! (Thanks Cathe!)
My problem is with Endurance. I tried Cathe's rotation with STS Strength & Cardio. NO WAY! I gave it my all for 2 weeks & finely had to throw in THAT towel! I sub'd other Cathe DVD's & still can't make it through more than 35 mins. of any of them. I am 51 & experiencing perimenopausal symptoms, especially fluctuating hormone levels that leave me extremely fatigued most of the time. After I complete this STS round I'd like to concentrate my w/o's on building up my endurance level. Any advice on the best way to do this? Anyone else out there having or have had a similar experience?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.