Moles in my flower beds!!!

SRP

Cathlete
Okay ladies. What do I do? These buggers have been tunneling through my yard for a few years and now they've found my flower beds. They're killing the flowers!!!!

I'm afraid to put poison out, because I have an outdoor cat (I live in a very rural area). She's old and doesn't hunt anymore, but she used to catch quite a few of these moles and probably kept them under control. But if I use poison, she might find the poison, or she might find a dead mole that has eaten the poison.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cuz, you need a wiener dog. I'm serious. This is right up their alley and any dachshund owner on these forums will back me up on this one, I'm sure -- lol! Really though, we used to have a huge problem with moles and my dogs took care of it. Now that my dogs are gone the moles are backx(

I'm supposed to be out shopping -- I HATE shopping. I am officially procrastinating.

Cuz, I believe you, but I do not need another pet! LOL! I don't even want to think about how offended and hurt my spoiled dog would be if I brought in competition!

Now get out there and go shopping.

Shannon!

What a bummer! Although I don't have moles, I have fought with squirrels and prarie dogs. I dumped ammonia (full strength) down their holes. It worked! They left and have never come back. I guess its worth a try?! I have indoor/outdoor animals and they steered clear of the holes too.

Good luck!

Hi Shannon,

There are natural repellents available that won't harm the moles or your pets. Some contain something like the urine of a predator that will keep the moles away. Here's one:
http://www.outsidepride.com/store/product.php?productid=17899&cat=390&page=1

Also, I think moles are also deterred by vibrations in the ground. I've seen pinwheel type things that you stick in the ground in your garden. When the wheel spins it's supposed to create enough of a vibration in the ground the keep them away. I haven't tried this one.

My cat is still my best mole deterrent. :)

Don't put poison out - you never know what else will find it. I almost lost my new puppy last night because my *insert expletive here* DH put snail bait out to kill snails and the puppy ate it. Fortunately, I noticed something weird in the way Jimmy was acting and we got him to the vet in time and he's fine. But, it scared me half to death (not to mention cost us a nice chunk of change - worth every penny, though!).

I think the idea of the predator urine is a good one. It's safe, natural and I would bet very effective. Maybe you can borrow a wiener dog from a friend... LOL.

I've also heard that you can poke holes, think as far down as you need to access their tunnel, and drop moth balls in the holes. Cover them with the dirt that was in the hole again.

We live in the country and do have moles, but none in our flower beds. But, my father-in-law has used this technique on his property and thought it worked well.

Hope you can get rid of them!

LOL! Liann, that is so cute!!!! I'd hire Cheyenne in a heartbeat!

I think my old cat would become a hunter again if I brought in a youngun - Smidget would not appreciate another cat in her territory at all. But yes, when she dies, I'll probably get another one. Maybe I can borrow my mom's kitten for a few days... she's already proving to be an outstanding huntress.

Gayle - thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I've also heard of sonic things that chase them away with a sound to high-pitched for people to hear. I haven't checked that option out yet but I wonder if it would bother the dog and cat.

<I dumped ammonia (full strength) down their holes. It worked!>

Will the ammonia kill plants in the flowerbed? I have a serious mole problem too and my lovely flowerbeds are suffering. I feel like the guy in "Caddyshack" hunting the gophers on the golfcourse. It's me against the mole at my house! x(

Our neighbor had a wiener dog. it yapped and yapped and yapped and yapped and yapped. I hated that dog.

My SIL is using traps to get her moles. It kills the moles but no poison involved.

>Our neighbor had a wiener dog. it yapped and yapped and
>yapped and yapped and yapped. I hated that dog.
>
I work with some people who fit that description too. I'll take a wiener over them any day. :p

I have sucessfully gotten rid of moles by placing Juicy Fruit gum in their holes. They are attracted to the gum by the sweet smell and they cannot digest the gum, so they become fertilizer. Good luck.

>I have sucessfully gotten rid of moles by placing Juicy Fruit
>gum in their holes. They are attracted to the gum by the
>sweet smell and they cannot digest the gum, so they become
>fertilizer. Good luck.

That is really interesting. The things you find out here.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.