MMA Disappointment

Momto5boys

Cathlete
I was SO excited about the MMA workouts (as someone who does Tae Kwon Do) but thought MMA Kickbox and MMA Fusion were lacking in the intensity/shock department. There were some brief moments where the intensity started to come up but they were too few and far between. I was really hoping that the whole series would be very intense and am pretty bummed about these two! I really liked MMA Boxing, though, especially the heavy bag bonus. Thumbs up on that one!

I had my two teenage sons do MMA Kickbox with me, who have been doing Insanity. I was so excited that they were finally trying a Cathe workout and glad that there were men in the video so they would be more comforable doing the workout. They did not find it to be a challenge at all and I was embarrassed after bragging to them about Cathe all these years! The actual length of the cardio part was not even 30 min. either.

I'm going to try Athletic Step today and am REALLY hoping that they rest of the videos are more challenging. I was disappointed in 4DS as far as cardio, and thought that Shock was suppose to be the big cardio challenge we've been waiting for. The series was quite expensive, so I'm bummed that two of them are "duds" (IMHO anyway). I'm coming off of Insanty and had been really looking forward to a Cathe challenge next.

I have not done any of the MMA, but if the HIIT doesn't rip your lungs out, you are one fit woman!

The drills are basic, but very intense. Do them as hard as you can and you will be begging for the breaks between drills.

Give them a try and let us know what you think!

It seems that a lot of people assumed that Shock Cardio was supposed to be all HiiT or at least all high intensity. I remember Cathe saying from the get-go that the whole point of Shock Cardio, like STS, was to vary the intensities and types of workouts so as to "shock" the body.

Carrie

It seems that a lot of people assumed that Shock Cardio was supposed to be all HiiT or at least all high intensity. I remember Cathe saying from the get-go that the whole point of Shock Cardio, like STS, was to vary the intensities and types of workouts so as to "shock" the body.

Carrie

I agree. I believe Cathe described that the more high intensity workouts would be HiiT and the Circuit workouts, and the lower-mod intensity would be the MMA, Travel Fit, and Step moves. I don't remember where Athletic Step falls though.
I hope you do find some of the other Shock cardio workouts to be what you were expecting. I'm overseas and still waiting for mine to arrive, but the posts about HiiT & circuit blast indicate that they are very intense! :)

Well, the initial and current desciptions sure make them sound like they should be extremely challenging (i.e. Fusion will push your cardiovascular and strength endurance limits), etc. I thought those two were mediocre at best for intensity. Could have used a lot more plyo and legs to boost the heartrate. Seems like a lot of it was standing in place.

I did Athletic Step today and thought it was better. MMA Boxing is great and my back/shoulders are still sore (I wore heavy gloves through the whole thing and did the heavy bag at the end). After all the positive things I've read about HIIT, I can't wait to try that next! May be more what I was looking for.

Hi Momto5boys! I'm sorry that a couple of the workouts have disappointed you. I honestly do expect this to some degree as it is impossible for me to please everyone as much as I would like to.

I do think that the workouts you want to focus on are:

HIIT (all three of them but especially 40/20)
Cardio Core Circuit
Athletic Step
MMA Boxing

The others are of varying lower intensity but need to be in order to allow good recovery for your body to benefit from the hard days.

Take care and don't forget to have your boys do 40/20...they may have to do that alone since you probably don't have three steps at home.

I was SO excited about the MMA workouts (as someone who does Tae Kwon Do) but thought MMA Kickbox and MMA Fusion were lacking in the intensity/shock department. There were some brief moments where the intensity started to come up but they were too few and far between. I was really hoping that the whole series would be very intense and am pretty bummed about these two! I really liked MMA Boxing, though, especially the heavy bag bonus. Thumbs up on that one!

I had my two teenage sons do MMA Kickbox with me, who have been doing Insanity. I was so excited that they were finally trying a Cathe workout and glad that there were men in the video so they would be more comforable doing the workout. They did not find it to be a challenge at all and I was embarrassed after bragging to them about Cathe all these years! The actual length of the cardio part was not even 30 min. either.

I'm going to try Athletic Step today and am REALLY hoping that they rest of the videos are more challenging. I was disappointed in 4DS as far as cardio, and thought that Shock was suppose to be the big cardio challenge we've been waiting for. The series was quite expensive, so I'm bummed that two of them are "duds" (IMHO anyway). I'm coming off of Insanty and had been really looking forward to a Cathe challenge next.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the MMA workouts. They are fun and they were of intermediate intensity for me. I did not find these workouts or HIIT 40/20 to be extremely challenging after doing my rotation of Insanity. Insanity was excellent for building cardio endurance. Doing Insanity has made Cathe's workout much easier for me.

Hi Cathe! That's so nice of you to respond to my honest feedback. I did Athletic Step today and enjoyed it and can't wait to try the others you suggested. I already did MMA Boxing and think it's fantastic...I will definitely make my boys try that one! I think they will really enjoy it. They got a Wavemaster XXL for Christmas just like the ones you are using. Not sure I can talk them into a step workout, though! The Circuit and HIIT also sound very intense, from your description and other's feedback. HIIT is on my to-do list for tomorrow! =)

I've decided that Kickbox & Fusion will be good ones when I'm going to Tae Kwon Do class or going running or swimming the same day. It can be nice to have a lower intensity option on those days. I do really like the roll backs and some of the creative moves you have on both. I do alter the side and round kicks by pivoting my (floor) foot towards the back. It helps with alignment and protects the knee from impact when you kick by allowing it to bend away. Not too important in cardio workouts but a good skill to have when doing martial arts! I also try to squeeze in a chamber and re-chamber to reinforce my TKD training. Sure hope you will continue to incorporate MMA and Boxing in future workouts! So much fun.

Looking forward to getting wiped out tomorrow! =)

Its good to vary your intensity and also you dont need to feel you have killed yourself to have had a good workout. Intensity does not always = good workout

not sure...

I'm not sure why the disappointment with Fusion. I also do Tae Kwon Do and found fusion to be very challenging in a different way. I think with some workouts you need to do them a few times and master the form, etc. before reaping the benefits. I agree that this was not a cardio killer like some of the other DVDs, but I wouldn't say it wasn't challenging.

Have a wonder-filled and joyous day!!

Mistic :)

If somebody wants to really wipe themselves out, then I suggest they do all three HIIT workouts back to back.

Is or has anybody tried that? Just curious......

Mom to 5 boys,

I have 7 boys myself and 3 girls. I was into marital arts with 7 of my children for over 5 years. I am a first degree black belt. Since you do TaeKwon Do, you might be able to relate to what I will be posting.

It is all what you put into a workout, especially with boxing or kickboxing. During many of our classes there were people who could not go up in rank simply because they did not have the intensity level it took to pass. We would have to do punching drills and kicking drills into the air. Let me tell you when you really put your all into it as though you were really punching or kicking a real opponent your heart would just soar.

There were many people also that I would never partner up with because they punched slow and without any real punch to it. Whenever I would spar, I needed that intensity to do what I needed to do to keep up with or beat the opponent. Sometimes we would have to spar one on two. Now that was intense.

If you snap out your punches and really twist and turn when needed, you will sweat like mad and really feel the cardio effect. I would make sure my jabs and power punches were fully extended. I always do my knee lifts so my knees go to my chest. I make sure that when I kick I kick as high as I possibly can.

I have done all three of Cathe's MMA DVDs several times and I am sweating bullets when I am done. There is one move where she pivots backwards and elbows the opponent. When I do that move I imagine there is someone there that I am truly trying to elbow. All of my upper cuts are geared to a real opponent and I give it my all.

I think you get the picture. My over 5 years experience with MA has helped me to really bring the intensity up while I do kickboxing. I LOVE the MMA kickboxing DVD. I still don't know which one between MMA Fusion and the MMA Boxing that I like best. It is all how you build use your intensity!

Cheryl

I am also a first degree black belt in Kempo Karate. I did MMA fusion yesterday & LOVED it. You can up the intensity by doing the strikes harder. My core is killing me today.

I'm thinking I should have worn my weight gloves. I have weighted kickbox gloves that I use with Kickmax and KPC. That might do the trick. I used 14 oz regular boxing gloves throughout MMA Boxing and really enjoyed that workout. As soon as I get done with the rest of the Shock workouts, I will repeat Fusion & Kickbox and give that a try.

Momof10 & 1gruntgal, I hear what you're saying about giving it your all to boost intensity. "You get out of it what you put into it" and all that! =) I try to do that and also alter/add things according to our TKD form, but I'm sure there is always room to give that extra boost!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.