Meso 1, Wk 1 LEGS

princessbear

Cathlete
OMG! I decided this morning to do some 1RM testing for legs, just to get an idea of what I should use for weight and I'm so obsessed with doing STS perfectly that I re-thought my original idea of doing 1RM for legs. WELL WELL WELL - I did the warmup from M1, W1 and then started doing the exercises with the most stars.... I did better than I thought but I lost my energy after about 45 minutes so then decide to call it a day for the testing and thought I would do some other leg exercises on the DVD - just to see how they felt. Geez Louise - just the warm up exercises KILLED me - and I finally got to do firewalkers for the first time. The bonus exercises - FUGGEDABOUTEM!!! Normally I would be discouraged by my inability to perform some of the exercises - but now I'm looking at it as something to shoot for. My endurance stinks so that is something to work on building up...

I'm FRIGHTENED about the first workout (I'm starting the week of the 16th). And don't even want to think about the plyo legs in Meso 3

How is everyone else finding the leg workouts? Any ideas for building up endurance for them?

I stink at endurance, esp lower body. I haven't started STS, but traditionally what I do is complete as many reps as I can, rest and jump back in. The next time my goal is to do more.

I am really concerned about the wall squats with the SB where you squat down, put the wt down,... I can see me ending up on the floor with that one :confused:

Mary,

I agree with you about the warm up! OMG, my legs were on fire:eek::eek::eek:
Honestly, I'm perfectly happy using light weights with my body weight for meso 1. I had a great workout and some serious doms the next day.
I'll save heavy for meso 3:eek::eek::eek:

I tested for the wall squats today and the key to them is to make sure you feet are out in a hack squat position in order to keep your knees from riding over your toes. My glutes/hams are really strong so I didn't really have trouble getting out of the "hole" - I used to powerlift and squat so that my butt was almost touching the back of my ankles so the "hole" is not a problem for me thankfully... Just try it with no weights first.

Can I be your friend Princessbear and Fit_Fairy? I, too, struggle with endurance-type weight training. I did leave my weights on the floor after the second rep of the weighted wall squats. ;) When I finished the workout, I was a little discouraged that I wouldn't being seeing it again for a long time. I'd kinda like to slay that dragon!

Edited to add: Just squatted down to pick up a fish oil cap. OUCH! :confused:

Last edited:
I don't usually work with heavy weights for my legs partly because I always workout at home and I don't own a squat rack or weighted vest (that's about to change since I romantically asked for a 40lb weight vest for Valentine's Day)..... so I did the legs 1RM for THREE exercises (because I plan on following STS and actually DOING legs instead of igoring them).... only THREE... this was on Monday... and I AM STILL sore in my right outer quad (the weaker leg for me). And BOTH legs were still sore on Friday. Eeekk!

I am scared, very scared ... of disc 3. Fuggedaboud worrying about Meso 3 I'm worried about next week when I start Meso 1!! So I'm right there with everyone on this.

I tested for the wall squats today and the key to them is to make sure you feet are out in a hack squat position in order to keep your knees from riding over your toes. My glutes/hams are really strong so I didn't really have trouble getting out of the "hole" - I used to powerlift and squat so that my butt was almost touching the back of my ankles so the "hole" is not a problem for me thankfully... Just try it with no weights first.

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Are you saying point the toes out? Because Cathe and crew are pointed straight ahead and thye do not ride over their toes **confused**

I did this workout yesterday and I just lurved it!!

It did kick my butt, but in a good way. I know I have let my fitness level slide and this series is gonna change all that :D

I almost didn't do the 'bonus' at the end, but am so glad I did.
I can't go as high as the girls, but at least I hung in there. I do have some soreness today, but the good kind.
Tomorrow may be a different story....my DOMS usually hit the 2nd day after a good workout. :eek:

I like this workout so much, I want to add it in another day during the week as I really, really need to build my lower body strength...knees gettin' crickey and all that :p

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Are you saying point the toes out? Because Cathe and crew are pointed straight ahead and thye do not ride over their toes **confused**

I think she's saying to have your feet further out in front of you, not out to the sides. Cathe says to do this when she's setting up, but I think you should go even further out in front than you think you should. That way, when you squat down, your knees aren't going to go past your toes.

Personally, I'm omitting the weights on this exercise and I'm not going down so deep. I don't think it's necessary or safe for me.

No - toes are straight ahead. I think Cathe mentions it - that your not standing with your hips above your feet toes. When you are situated on the ball - walk you feet out a bit so your toes are maybe 10-12" in front of your hips. Not sure how to explain it any better than that. Check the exercise on the dvd - if you look at their feet, they are not directly under their bodies but are in front of their hips.

I think she's saying to have your feet further out in front of you, not out to the sides. Cathe says to do this when she's setting up, but I think you should go even further out in front than you think you should. That way, when you squat down, your knees aren't going to go past your toes.

Personally, I'm omitting the weights on this exercise and I'm not going down so deep. I don't think it's necessary or safe for me.

EXACTLY!!! I didn't see this post before my answer. Thanks for explaining it - yes, go out further than you think you should. I think this hits alot more quads too!

I just got a good laugh at myself trying to do those wall squats lowering the wts to the floor :rolleyes: I used 5 pounds in each hand and I got up on the first rep-ok, not too bad. On the second go my butt just went to the floor LOL!! I tried again and noticed you really have to be engaged in your core for this one. But dang that's too much to think about for me :eek:

Ok...I have to confess...I didn't use any weights on them ball to the wall :D exercises.
I was already 'feeling' my legs so I focused on form and pulsed the squats.
My knees have been giving me a fit lately so I was very careful not to irritate them any further.

Believe me, I felt them wall buggers purty good without weights. I can tell I'm gonna be even more sore tomorrow!

I should have mentioned I was just playing around with that particular exercise. I practiced the wall squats, but I have not done the w/o. Just clarifying that ;):p

I did this workout on Friday and I'm still sore. Mostly my glutes and hamstrings. Oh and that wall squat with the weights I couldn't pick up the weights. It was funny! LOL!

me too!

I did Disc 3 on Saturday morning and my legs are still letting me know about it! I knew I was in trouble when they were already feeling tight Saturday evening. I LOVE IT! I didn't really feel much in the way of DOMS with disc 1 or disc 2 so I'm happy about feeling it in my legs.

Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.