Menopause-insomnia help

china

Hello to the menopause support groupies!!
I too have experienced early menopause due to surgery--fun-fun!
However, I have discovered some help for me! As Cathe states, just a suggestion, take it or leave it, right? :for insomnia, try to save the last 500mg. of your daily total calcium supplement dose for about an hour before bedtime along with 200-250 mg magnesium. These two promote muscular and neurological relaxation. Also, falling asleep with a meditative tape in your cassette/CD headset can be a great help. Lastly, keep caffeinated beverages to no closer than 6 hours before bedtime, try not to exercise too close to bedtime, and avoid heavy snacks as these can interfere with the body's cue to prepare for sleep.
I speak from personal experience, so I truly understand. However, honestly, it does get better with the right lifestyle. Life begins at 40--- kiss those pads and tampons goodbye, honey!!!
Take care!

Thanks, China (are you the WWF wrestler? Just kidding;-))

I usually do take my last calcium sup. at that time, but I haven't tried it with the magnesium, will definitely give that a whirl.

But, a greater part of the problem is waking at 3:00 am and not being able to go back to sleep, knowing I have to get up at 6-6:30. So there I lay. I'm considering painting a Sistine Chapel type of mural on my ceiling as it gets quite boring to look at, hour after hour. I've learned not get totally "spazzed out" and have a fit as I lay there waiting for sleep to return, that is the kiss of death. Some nights/mornings I get up and have a cup of "sleep inducing tea", that works, but it takes 30 minutes+.

Would you mind expanding on "the right lifestyle"?

Thanks for your suggestion,
Julie

Hi Julie,
No, I am not the WWF wrestler (you made me laugh with your joke!). My user name comes from the wonderful place where we received our miracle daughter!!! To elaborate on the right lifestyle: the correct supplements individually tailored to one's specific menopause symptoms, eating a healthy diet(also, allowing the occasional goodie since life is too short), daily exercise, daily relaxation( meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, reading inspirational material), and surrounding yourself with loving people. Also, maybe after your "midnight hour tea", use a meditative tape for insomnia on your headset, and let it lull you off to dreamland. Try also a lavender eye pillow buy or make: take 2 pieces of a blue or purple colored heavy satin material, cut into a rectangle 3-4 inches by 2 inches, sew all but one side and fill moderately with dried lavendar(sold in herb or craft shops) distribute evenly, and then sew the final side. AAHH!
Please keep me up to date!
Best Wishes!
Lisa

Much easier than lavendar pillows, just in case you're as lazy as I am...

Put a drop of essential oil on the neck-hole fabric just under your nose. Does this make sense. If you sleep in T-shirts, that is, or something that puts fabric near your face.

I like essential oil of pine, I dont think it helps me sleep but it smells very blissfully relaxing. Also balsam fir, cedar. That's what I like.

I also have floor vents for the heater/AC in my bedroom and when it's winter and the heat is on, I drop 2 drops in the vent, but be sure to do it when the fan is not actually running!! Do it when the heater is off!

Hi China! I too am going through menopause. My doctor prescribed for me Mircette 28 which is a low dosage birth control pill. I tried talking to him about why I should be taking this pill when I stopped having my periods since May. Because I'm now taking the pill my periods have returned but its a forced period. You can tell from the color of the blood. The pill wiped away my night sweats, insomnia as well as my hot flashes. Doctor just told me that after 2-3 months my periods would look normal and come see him in 6 months. Why don't these doctors try to treat us women through natural means? I mean this something my body has to go through. You can't turn back the clock. Maybe he's just trying to make my transition as easy as possible. What's your take on this? He did tell me not to worry about the pill because the dosage is miniscule. Still concerned and worried about this though. Hope to hear from you China. Kathy

Well, I avoid doctors and their happy-pills like the plague, but just to play the devil's advocate, just because something is natural doesn't make it safe or effective or reasonable. After all, snake venom is natural, viruses and bacteria are natural. (I know we use snake venom now as Botox, but you get the idea.)

I think birth control pills are serious medicine, which doctors dispense rather freely. They do have side effects and drug interactions. But if they help you sleep or keep you from having awful hot flashes they are probably worth it. You could try black cohosh, flax seed, chasteberry, progesterone creams or whatever, but don't feel bad about allowing a little "contamination" of your body to control intolerable symptoms. Do as much lifestyle stuff as you can, but if you have to use them, drugs will not make you go to hell.

Hi Kathy!

I was on Mircette 28 for a long time for BC purposes. My doc is a woman and always takes time to explain things. Mircette 28 has a low dose of estrogen in it during the week of "inactive" pills, the week you have your period. The estrogen is supposed to relieve the menopausal symptoms. She prescribed it for me about 3-4 years ago (I was 34-35) when I complained of night sweats during the week of my period. I still had night sweats but not as severe. I just recently stopped taking the pill because after 20 years of non-stop use I wanted to give my body a break! On the plus side, my doc told me studies are showing that if you take the pills for 5+ years your risk of ovarian cancer decreases. She even told me if I wasn't planning children to stay on the pill but I just had to have a break and let my body be in a natural state. This is my first month without the pill, more bloating but no period. I may end up back on it, time will tell.

Maybe you can get a 2nd opinion? Peace of mind is important!

Take care,

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie! Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'll stay on the pill for 6 mths. just as my dr. suggested and then what other game plan he has for me at that point. If I go off of the pill, my fatigue will come right back along w/night sweats and hot flashes and I won't have the energy to workout anymore. Heaven forbid! What's that? I do yoga every Sat. morning which has helped a lot too. Thanks again, Kathy

Well, I don't believe I have started menopause (I am 29) but I do have a lot of experience with insomnia. My insomnia is strictly a learned habit or anxiety I guess. However, that doesnt' help it go away all the same. I've learned a few things about it. First of all, acceptance of it was key for me. I had to accept it in order to quit fighting it. This is difficult because being tired only makes the days seem longer and it makes it hard to concentrate, exercise (oh no!), and many other activities. Dreading another sleepless night is worse to me than actually having a sleepless night. Second, hot baths work wonders. I have lots of lavender scented bubble bath and it helps me to have a good soak 3 hours or so before bed. Calcium is helpful. I've never trusted herbs but I did try Valerian root a couple of times with no success. I can say that you aren't alone and I hope it gets better for you soon. I know I will never take sleep for granted ever again. When all else fails, I have also had great success with Ambien. It is a prescription but it works and it works fast. I don't take it all the time because it wouldn't work after a while. I also take Mircette. This is really the only birth control pill that I've taken that I didn't notice considerable side effects like bloating, acne, painful breasts, weight gain and so on. If you have to take it, I believe it is one of the best. I've heard good things about Yasmin as well. Good luck. I hope everyone gets the rest they need.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.