Men (DH) /Workouts

jdifischer

Cathlete
I have tried in vain to get my husband to workout to one of Cathy's weight DVD's - all to no avail. His form needs help and the whole thing needs structure. I think men are intimidated to working out with a women leading them. Anyone else have this problem? Tried to get him to do Pyramid Series. NOT. Very frustrating.

Thanks,

Dawn

Oh My Gosh!....Dawn, I have had this problem for years! My DH used to run with me, but due to knee surgery in 1987 he stopped. I do understand that. I also am rather obsessive compulsive about exercise which cannot be easy to live with! I got a Nordic track about 12 yrs ago for him. He used it 3 weeks, lost 12 lbs and hasn't been on it much since. I have been telling him for the last few years, that just using the Nordic 3 days a week for about 10-15 minutes would be so benficial for his body. Keeping his blood flowing and joints lubricated. He now has lower back trouble and is seeing a Chriopractor (my nephew) regularly. But the good thing is he is also seeing a personal trainer, so maybe hearing it from someone else?????...:)...I invite him all the time to join me in Cathe workouts. I have not completely given up yet! And I do agree....very frustrating...:)...Carole

The only Cathe workout my husband will do with me is Bootcamp (maybe because there's men in it) and getting him to do that once a month is like pulling teeth! But then again getting him to workout at all is a whole project. He'll workout for 2 weeks, then nothing for 4 weeks - its a vicious cycle. This may be mean, but I keep pointing out his "belly" and telling him he better get his butt in shape before that gets bigger. (Just like he used to do with me!) That gives him a "little" motivation.

Debbie

It may sound mean but we just want the best for them. When I finally hit the frustation point for the umpteenth time I ask him if the life insurance policy is up to date. Ouch!

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

So funny that you brought this up. I have been trying for years to get my DH to try Cathe's weight work. We recently went on vacation and had use of a workout facility. I would do the pryamids from memory while he would do a few biceps, then maybe a few lat pulls or bench press and a lot of standing around. His form was terrible because he was trying to lift too much and there was no structure at all(He never worked triceps or shoulders). He watched me and was amazed with how thorough the workout was. I seized the moment and offered to help him. I walked him through the whole pryamid upper body workout and found he was unable to lift my weightloads on many of the exercises. WOW! Now he does the pryamids 2x/week and even tried the planks and pikes on the ball. He can't do them and said they are insane}( (But at least he tried!) I'm proud of him and can't wait to introduce him to S&H. So there is hope out there for our DH's. Maybe we can convince Cathe to add a male exerciser to her future strength training workouts to help our guys feel more comfortable doing them.

JJ

JJ, I agree adding a male exerciser or 2 would be helpful in getting our guys to work out with Cathe. Right now my husband will do Tom Holland or Beach Body with Tony Horton once in a while. Not to mention I wouldnt mind myself! }(
Debbie

My DH is an avid exerciser. He runs and lifts weights on his own successfully and doesn't need a tape...unlike me. However, he loves Cathe's ab work! He's seen a huge improvement from doing the planks on Ab Hits. He doesn't like to stray much from this DVD although will join me if I'm doing abs from another DVD.

Maybe you could hook your DH with Cathe abs since it's not a huge time constraint. He will without a doubt feel it and maybe get encouraged to try something else.

Kellie

I don't really buy the excuse of being intimidated by a woman instructor. Hell I would rather be working out with women myself. What guy wouldn't rather watch nice looking ladies work out rather than other guys? LOL! I have always found that working out at the club is more fun when there are mostly women in the classes. Quite frankly women are more fun to talk with, more "workout intelligent", and I like the occasional flirt that goes along with it. Plus I don't have to deal with the inevitable "pissing contest" that alot of guys in the gym will pull on me. They inevitably get their butts kicked anyway, but it's tiresome....LOL!
I think the real excuse is that your DHs just aren't motivated to keep the commitment to exercise. Painful truth but most likely it's reality. I have the same problem with my wife so I know where you all are coming from...
Trevor :)

Dawn,
Just a suggestion...maybe "treat" him to a few sessions with a male personal trainer to hone his form and his knowledge? Maybe this would open the doors to fitness for him without coming from his wife, his family, etc. Sometimes it's hard to take criticism from those we love the most. I had a tough time when I began climbing with my husband. It seemed as if he knew everything and was so good at it and I never got anything right. It's all perception, I know. But, maybe some outside influence would be the key. After I went to women's outdoor climbing camps, I found it much easier to climb with him. I could even point a few things he was lax about!
Amy

When I first got my Cathe DVD's and put them in my son (age 8) right away said "Mom - you want her abs don't you" and before I could answer my husband said "I want her arms"! Cracked me up.

Thanks for all of your responses. Maybe I should put that in the video idea forum - A weight workout with all men and Cathe - specifically for men.

Dawn

I think Trevor might be right about lack of motivation or commitment...at least where my DH is concerned. He works out on his own at the gym, but not with the intensity that is required for Cathe's tapes, or any workout that requires planning and mental focus.

I watch him do bicep curls, for example, and he just kind of quickly throws the weight around. I tell him how much I love S&H, how lifting weights with purpose and concentration has really made a difference for me, but it's like talking to a wall. He's watched a couple of Cathe tapes before, and admits they look hard, she's in good shape, etc, etc. However, there's no talking him into using one.

Why would someone want to waste an hour working out w/ poor form? If you're going to put in the time,it should be productive, IMHO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.