Medicine ball

LGB

Cathlete
After seeing the medicine ball in Cathe's photo, I started wondering where I could buy a good one. Will Cathe have a recommendation or does anyone know?

Laura

Hi Laura!

I posted on video forum that I found a 10# medicine ball at Wal-mart for $16.13. I know Cathe is using an 8#, but at that price, what's two lbs?!:-wow

:)Sherry

I want to be sure that I am buying the correct medicine ball. Is the one in the picture a hard surface ball or squishy on the outside? When I was at Walmart, I thought that the ones that I saw were squishy and not as big as the one in the picture. Can anyone provide any clarification on this? I just wanted to pick one up in the next couple of weeks. Thanks, Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Cathe said she will be using a rubber medicine ball, as opposed to to a leather medicine ball. I don't know if that helps.

Anna

Debbie,

How right you are about the two pounds! Ever the optomist here!!!:D

Sandra,
I don't think they're squishy. I know which ones you're talking about though. I just recently saw the 10# ball at Walmart. It specifically says on it 10# medicine ball.:) Oh, and it's rubber. Hope this helps!

Sherry

Thanks for the answers. I'd love to hear from Cathe to see what kind they used. I'd definitely beware of extra 2 lbs - with Cathe, that's torture!!! Laura

Sandra:

WalMart carries 3 different balls (at least!)
The Pink Balls (are 3 lbs. each) and squishy.... these are NOT medicine balls. Same with the Purple Balls (they are 5 lbs. each and again -- NOT medicine balls).

The ONLY medicine ball I've seen at WalMart is a BLACK one and it's 10 lbs. and I'd be mighty leary of starting out any of Cathe's tapes with a 10 lb. medicine ball. ;) I know I've also gotten one (forget the size) at Target.

There are many places to pick them up. I'm sure Cathe will recommend a place... but you can get an idea at the following:

http://www.fwonline.com/medbal.htm

Or you could just go to http://www.fwonline.com and look around! :)

Hope this helps clear up the ball situation! There's just so many different types of balls out there!

Cleda

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-02 AT 09:52PM (Est)[/font][p]I saw that www.centuryfitness has some nice medicine balls at a reasonable price. They are filled with sand so they don't bounce but Cathe said there was no bouncing of the medicine balls with her workout. The are approx. the size of a volleyball but are not squishy. If I remember somewhat correctly the 8 lber was $16.95. I don't know how much shipping is. Worth checking out.

The 6 lb medicine ball from Target is now priced at $29.95.

HTH
Hedy

Here's what I'm gonna do. No, that might be a lie. Here's what I *plan* to do.

When the DVD's arrive at my door, I'll already have lots of equipment to do them with. Not the medicine ball though.

I'll preview the one(s) with the medicine balls and really inspect the balls closely. I will get an idea what is going to be done with the ball so I can gauge what weight I'll be able to start with. Then I will shop for my new med. ball.

Of course, if Cathe herself recommends a particular ball, this plan goes out the window.

Connie, that was my plan exactly. I think I'd feel more comfortable if Cathe recommended a ball. I don't promise anything either - I may just start out by holding a pillow :)

Laura

Laura,
Instead of a pillow, you could do what they suggest in Firm videos: use a cantalope! The danger would be in dropping it, but the advantage would be you could eat it after your workout!

You all are so much fun! I thought I was the only one who was excited about purchasing a medicine ball. It's like getting a new toy!

I got a cheap one at Walmart. It was about $15 vs. $30 at #####'s. It's 5 lbs (purple), but not the typical hard surfaced med ball. It's more squishy, filled with sand. But it works fine. The only problem I have with it is when doing some moves in CIA tapes, like putting both hands on it while doing a pushup, I feel like I'll break it.

But I'm glad I got this cheaper one to start with. 5 lbs just isn't heavy enough for me to do strength moves so I think I'll get a good, heavier one. Make sure to get one at a place w/ a good return policy in case it turns out to be too heavy or light.

fyi: med balls are awkward to use the first few times!

I just went out a priced them at Walmart Vs. Sportmart. My walmart had the 10 pounder only and it was $16.13. Sportmart had a variety, but almost all started at $30. I'll be buying mine plus the stability ball at walmart!

Beth

I have the exact medicine balll that is in the picture so I thought I would share.

It is from Power Systems. They have great customer service.

www.power-systems.com

I have 2,4 6 and 8 pound balls from them.

My stability ball is also the exact Power Systems orange 55 cm ball that is pictured in these photos.

I was all excited when I recognized my equipment!

FYI - It is not squishy. It is hard, air filled and does bounce a little.

Power Systems is offering 15% off medicine balls right now. I am not sure how long the offer is for. The 8 lber is still expensive even with the discount. If I recall it came to $40 with shipping to me. I am still thinking the 8 lber from Century Fitness is the more affordable of the ones I have checked out at $18.00 plus shipping. I did check out the 10 lber from Walmart and gosh that sucker seems so heavy.

Hedy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.