measuring small

imani

Cathlete
Hi all,

I just got back from my doctor's appointment and she said that I am measuring 3 cm too small! She said I should have an ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing ok and then she said not to worry. Ha! How can I not worry. Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. Any advice?

Thanks,
imani

Hi Imani!

Until the ultrasound determines the size of your baby, don't worry about it yet (easier said than done, I know!) You are due soon for a second ultrasound soon anyway (mine is tomorrow), and believe me, there's nothing like seeing your little one to reassure you that everything's okay. Do you feel your baby move often? Hang in, I'm sure everything's okay!

Jennifer V
33 weeks

My SIL was told she measured too small and that she wasn't gaining enough weight, yada yada yada...! Both of her babies were born "normal" weight and size and completely healthy!!!

I'd really TRY not to worry about it....

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

Hi Imani,
Throughout my pregnancy, I measured small. At about 7 months pregnant, I was fearful that I was feeling the baby move. Between the 2 factors, the doctor had me get an ultrasound. Baby was doing gymnastics in my womb and looked fine. By about week 36 or 37 I started measuring on track. I gave birth 2 weeks early to a healthy 6lb 11 ounce girl. I only measued about 1 cm small though, I wonder if your dates are off. Also, are you small ? I am petite at under 5 feet and probably needed the baby to stay small. As a side notes, my daughter is still small for her age, but bigger isn't better. I would not worry!

Hi Imani-
Try not to worry. I also measured on the small side (I think it was between 32-36 weeks). The ultrasound showed she was fine. I was carrying her very low for the last several months of the pregnancy and it threw the measurements off. She was 8lbs even when she was born and has been in the 90th percentile range for weight and height. She's very healthy and robust!

Diana
Nora born 8/23/04

Imani--

I wouldn't worry about it either. I always measure large--like up to 9 cm large and while I do have babies on the large side, how large one measures and how large one's baby is don't always go together. Anyway--the docs always make me get an extra ultrasound.

A close friend of mine always measures small and the docs always make her get an extra ultrasound as well.

I think that this is fairly common.

take care
Maggie

Thanks for all the advice. I am feeling less worried today. I am not petite and both me and my husband were really big babies but I am carrying very compactly. So I am hoping that the baby is just positioned differently and measuring is not a good estimate of the baby's size.

I am trying to relax about the whole thing. I have started to practice the relaxation techniques that I learned in childbirth class. I think it's helping. I will post after the ultrasound with an update.

Thanks again,
Imani

I measured small with each of my babies. Of course, your doctor is doing the appropriate intervention. It can be that the baby is flexed into a tight little ball, or laying transeverse (that was my case), etc. Fundal height is pretty accurate give or take 2 weeks until about 32 weeks. After 32 weeks, baby weight variations influence measurements... although some providers will still get an u/s.

Let us know!

Just wanted update everyone. I had my ultrasound today and my little girl is growing just fine. She weighs about 3lbs and 10oz and looked so big compared to the last ultrasound at 20 weeks. The ultrasound technician said that the measurement technique is so primitive!

So I officially feel better and I am getting so excited to meet this little baby and give her a big hug!

imani

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.