Measuring cooked grains/pasta/rice

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Ok I give up! What the heck is a serving of cooked grains/pasta/oats/quinoa/rice, etc. All those dang things that give a dry serving size on the container, but not a cooked one. Obviously the cooking water adds 0 cals, but they swell up, so the cooked serving is bigger than the dry.

Since I cook for the family, I don't just cook one serving at a time. I'm a calorie counter/watcher, and this one has been driving me crazy for a while. I've looked high and low and can't find the answer. The best I can figure is that it's somewhere between double and 75% more. (1/2 C dry is one C cooked or 3/4 C cooked).

An I'm looking for a serving as compared to the label on the container, where the calorie info comes from, not the government serving size. As this again matters how much dry stuff you put in the pot to the cooked stuff. Whats the relationship between cooked/dry?

Does anyone have the answer?

Nan

This is an interesting question and has me now doubting how much oatmeal I should eat.

I read somewhere that the serving on the box has to be the dry amount because that is what is in the box.

Anyhow, I would think that if uncooked is 1/3 cup per serving and my recipe calls for 1 cup dry rice, my eating portion would be 1/3 of the cooked rice since the only thing added would be water. This sounds like a lot of rice to eat.

With the oatmeal, I am eating the whole dry amount unless I add milk, then I adjust the dry amount to reflect the additional carbs in the milk.

Sorry to go on and on, this is one of those questions for me that the more I think about it, the more confused I get.

Melissa

My understanding, when watching calories/portion size, is that the appropriate serving for pasta or rice is 1/2 cup cooked. This site says the same....

What Serving Sizes Look Like

I usually cook more pasta than I need for a single serving so I can have leftovers during the week. For each serving, I measure out 1/2 cup, cooked.

I'm not normally one to start crap, so I'm going to assume that wasn't meant to be snarky. I did look for it on Google. Several pages worth, and there was no answer. Apparently, I'm dumb and asked wrong, or my Google doesn't go the same place yours does :D:eek::p

Nan

Rule one - if you look for someone else, obviously you will find what you're looking for, if you look for yourself, you will spend hours on end, and not find a damn thing you're looking for. It's how the darn thing (internet) works.

You're welcome <snark j/k. ha.

My understanding, when watching calories/portion size, is that the appropriate serving for pasta or rice is 1/2 cup cooked. This site says the same....

What Serving Sizes Look Like

I usually cook more pasta than I need for a single serving so I can have leftovers during the week. For each serving, I measure out 1/2 cup, cooked.

And this is where I get confused. Is 1/4C raw (rice) on the box a 1/2 C cooked, or is that 1/2 C a government serving?

I'm probably just over thinking it, but it's always been the one measurement I can't figure out. The dang dry uncooked to wet cooked measurements.

Nan

I think it is a good question and you are correct,
I have looked it up as well and I got diff answers.
So what I did was for example I read the servings on the box I know u DId but, i made one serving, and then waited till after it was cooked and it came to almost half more of what it was dry. This was rice i did it said serving size was 1/2 cup dry but when I measured the rice after i cooked one servings it made about a cup of rice.
But it is diff for diff products too like one bag says 1/2.Cup dry Some says 3/4 dry is a serving.
I hope that helps. I mean u only have to do it once and write it on the side of the box as to what a serving will be cooked so the next time you make more then one serving u will know.
Have a great day!!
Now I want some rice !!

And this is where I get confused. Is 1/4C raw (rice) on the box a 1/2 C cooked, or is that 1/2 C a government serving?

I'm probably just over thinking it, but it's always been the one measurement I can't figure out. The dang dry uncooked to wet cooked measurements.

Nan

Not sure what you mean by government serving, but this web site has some dry to cooked conversions.

Ounces to Cups: A Guide to Estimating Pasta Yield | The Kitchn

This site might help also. Scroll down to "Tips on Portion Sizes...."

Pasta Cooking Tips | Pasta Fits

or this site...

http://livelovelaughlearn.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/pasta-amount-uncooked-yields-amount-cooked/

If I'm reading this correctly, 1/2 cup COOKED pasta is really 1 oz (1/4 cup) dry, which suggests you would have to divide the calorie count on the box in half if the calories listed are for a 2 oz dry serving.

Last edited:
From LIVESTRONG: (Serving Size of Grains)

WHAT A SERVING SIZE LOOKS LIKE
A serving is smaller than many people imagine. A serving of rice or pasta is about half a cup or the size of a small computer mouse. A slice of bread is also considered a serving, as it is a cup of plain cereal. Some servings for cereals are smaller, especially those that contain sugary coatings or fruits.

HTH! :)

Try this maybe it will help:

Weigh one serving and then measure it in a cup (dry.)

Now, add however many servings you plan to cook (for me I often cook 2 c. of dry rice but it could be anything.)

Then you can either proportionately separate out the number of servings or you can go super hog wild and weigh the entire batch and then divide that number by how many servings you cooked and then you will know how much each serving should weigh.

I hope that makes sense.

Here is a list to make it easier:

1. By weight determine how many servings you are cooking (down to the gram usually for dry goods.) Don't forget to titrate out your plate or dish.

2. Cook.

3. Weigh entire batch. (Again depan into a dish that has been titrated out of your total.)

4. Divide that number by the number of servings.

5. That result is how much each serving should weigh.

6. Portion out servings in individual size little ziploc boxes or tupperware boxes so that later you won't have to think about it. I like to use a sticky to label each box.

I hope that helps and made sense.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.