Meal Replacement Bars -- Recommendations Please

exercise-lover

Cathlete
Hi, I am looking for a great meal replacement bar. I used to love the Atkins Chocolate Oatmeal Fiber Bar, but the sugar alcohols give me ummmmmmm digestive problems.

Does anyone have a favorite bar that has adequate protein, low in calories, and no transfats that tastes good without sugar alcohols? I tried the Biggest Loser Bars and did not like them. I like to have a bar for breakfast with a cup of green tea. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Balance bars are awesome, taste good and have the proper balance ratio of fats, protein and carbs (30/30/40). They run about 190-200 calories each and there are about 10-12 different flavors, including chocolate mint and peanut butter chocolate. I believe they have a website where you can order in bulk. I get mine at a local grocery store in Illinois called Woodmans. They run about a buck a bar. Good luck!

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll look for them. I did find the South Beach Diet meal bars. I like the chocolate ones. They are balanced and pretty tasty.

Quest bars are my favorite. Low carb, high protein and high fiber. Most natural ingredients of any others that I have seen. And they taste good.

I like to make my own luna and cliff type bars. Soo easy and much cheaper! You can find many recipes online. For luna bars, it's basically dates, nuts and another dried fruit of flavour (ie:coffee, cherry, apple).

linda

Hey, I tried some Quest bars -- and LOVE them. Thanks so much for this suggestion.

Beware, though, that the Quest All Natural flavors have sugar alcohols in them. Not good for me. I really like the Chocolate Brownie and the Vanilla Almond ones. They do not have sugar alcohols. It's funny with Quest bars. They are so dense, I only eat a part of one. I really like how they fill me up.

I like to make my own luna and cliff type bars. Soo easy and much cheaper! You can find many recipes online. For luna bars, it's basically dates, nuts and another dried fruit of flavour (ie:coffee, cherry, apple).

linda
Agree!! D-I-Y! YOU control what goes into your bar. Many, many excellent food bloggers out there with delicious, free recipes. I am very grateful for them :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.