Mcdonald Fruit and Walnut salad

karenvictoria

Cathlete
I went to the Mcdonald's web page to find the nutrition info on this salad. Here it goes.
310 calories
13 g fat
2 g sat fat
colesteral 5 mg
sodium 85mg
carbs 44g
fiber 6 g
protein 5 g

My problem with this is, it looks pretty good. Right . Well if you read on it says the salad is made with candied walnuts. The first two ingd. are sugar and honey and then malodextrin (sp). I am not sure if this is to preserve the walnuts or not but I just don't know why they wouldn't make it with just plain nuts. Like I said it is not a bad choice I just was wondering the purpose of the candied nuts. Karen

I think it is the sugar Nazi's. They try to put it on everything so that you will get addicted and want more, more, MORE!!! }(

JMHO,
Missy

It sounded good until I heard "candied walnuts". Now it's a turn off.

P.S. Holy @#&%. 44 grams of carbs! OUCH x(

Karen,

I had thought about trying that one too. Looks like it might not be that good for you. It is good to read the labels so now we know. Thanks for sharing the information.

Charlotte~~

I am not thrilled with the latest Mcdonalds' offering. Frankly, I think the Wendy's fruit salad has more appeal to me: melons, yogurt, etc. I can eat apples at home any time...
JMO..

I just saw this commercial again last night and was going to post the same thing! I am so pissed about these deceptions. I know a bunch of people who wouldn't know any better thinking they were ordering something healthy. Why couldn't they just put plain walnuts? UGH!

Goodness that doesn't sound very healthy. Holy carbs, too. Why can't they just use plain walnuts and leave some sugar packets for people??? ;) I do like their fruit and yogurt parfaits once in a blue moon.

Debbie

The reason why they have candied walnuts in their salad because plain walnuts do not appeal to many people. People like us prefer plain walnuts for health reasons but most people won't prefer that. Those fruits especially grapes have plenty of sugar in them so I don't see the point of candied walnuts even though they taste good once in a while. If you look at it as an average joe american, it looks and sounds healthy for you because it's fruit, lowfat yogurt and nuts. The way we look at it is it's crap. It's marketed towards the average joe americans, not us. These fast food franchises are stupid. I can make my own salad using the same ingredients for cheaper and healthier. I do like their cheeseburgers though. :p

Lisa

I had thought about trying this too but I think you ladies just changed my mind. I wonder what the nutrition information would be without the walnuts? Say you picked them out.

You could do that, Sabrina, but the walnuts are probably the most expensive item in the salad. x(

The last time I spent the day with my granddaughter, we went there for lunch. I had one of their salads, which I didn't much care for. She had the chicken thingees with french fries. She offered me a french fry. I told her I didn't want one because they weren't healthy for me. She said, "But Ni-Ni, it's potatoes and they're good for you". I went through the whole thing about how they're cooked in grease and not healthy when cooked that way. You should have seen her face :-( . I can imagine what she told my daughter :) and I can imagine my daughter rolling her eyes :eek: .

Somebody's got to tell her, right? ;-)

And where is the protein? 5g of protein compared to 44g carbs! Not a good ratio. But I guess if you're desparate it's better than a cheeseburger?

That is alot of carbs for a freakin salad!!! And I have to wonder...if you take the cheeseburger and toss out the bun, which one would have less carbs?!!

Plus these salads are $5. I can buy alot of organic spinach for five bucks!

Here's a tip for those like me, who are out shopping/running errands and have hungry kids: I go to Target and buy a container of cut up fruit and one of those delish French baguette's and that is what we will have for a light meal while I'm in town busy shopping or whatever. I just will not take my kids to fast food joints with the hopes that it has never been a habit while they are young so "hopefully" they will think about that when they are older (driving) and their friends want to pull into Hardees for a SuperSized meal of heart attack in a cardboard box.

My MIL one year gave all of my kids McD's coupon books. My H looked at me afraid I would blow a gasket and make a scene about it but I didn't. I did however take those coupon books and gave them to Goodwill.

It seems kinda silly to put sugar on walnuts. The salad is way overpriced, in my opinion and that's why I've never bought it. But the sugar on the walnuts adds another reason. I'll stick with the grilled chicken salad. Which is also overpriced, but not quite so badly.

I just had one last night and they are great! The walnuts come in a packet separte so you don't have to put them on the salad! The walnuts had their nutrition facts on the back of the package and 130 of the calories and 11g of fat came from them so w/o the nuts the salad isn't so bad! The carbs are most likely coming from the "dip" they give you to dip the fruit in and again you don't have to use that.. it tasted like thined down icing.. it was good, but I didn't eat all that came w/ it so it's up to you how much of it you eat. It had apples, (green and red) and grapes and it was pretty big! I really enjoyed it.

Edited to add~here the fruit salad was only 2.99 so I thought that was a fair price for what I got.

And this sounded like kind of a good idea.
I'm sure the "candy" topping on the nuts increases the carb content (I'm not a carbophobe, as long as the carbs are coming from real foods, but when they're from sugar, they're just empty calories).

Unfortunately, if you take away the walnuts, you not only lose the fat and carbs, but the only protein source in the whole salad.

Just another example of a big business trying to appeal to the "healthy" market, but only appealing to the people who have a half-@$$ idea about what is healthy (which, unfortunately, is the majority of Americans).

Can someone please tell me how much sugar is too much?

When I take my son to McD's on Wednesdays, that always turns into a salad and a parfait for me. Is that bad? I eat the Cobb and the grilled Chicken, but I do not use their dressings! I have my own "lite" dressings at home and I only drizzle.

Traci

I thought this sounded so good...I really wanted to try one. I don't remember the last time I ate at McDonald's, and based on this info, I won't be stopping in anytime soon.

Tammy

If you ever want to check the nutritional value of any fast food chain simply go to their website, its always listed and broken down nicely.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.