McCann's Steel Cut oatmeal and Udo's Perfected Oil Blend

jboyd

I was curious where I can find this oatmeal that everyone is talking about. If I can not buy it local I do not mind buying it on-line if someone knows where. I called a health food store by me and they have McCann's but it only has 4 g of protein per 1/4 cup not the 16 grams that I have heard mentioned here.

Also, I was curious if anyone has tried the Udo's Perfected Oil Blend. I have just started taking it and just wanted to know if anyone else had and what results they have seen and how much they are taking a day.

I would greatly appreciate any info. someone could give me on these two items.....

Jessica

Hi Jessica! Yes that's the correct McCann's Steel Cut oatmeal that I was talking about. I eat 1 cup which totals 16g of protein and its 16g of fiber in 1 cup. I also add in some blueberries which will give you 4g of fiber. You can also add in some Splenda to give it some flavor. I've heard mention of Udo but from what I heard its NASTY stuff. I wouldn't bother with it. I think it comes in liquid form and you put it on salads. Yuck! Best, Kathy

You eat a cup of it dry b4 cooking I take it? That's the only way you'd get 16 grams I know of. Wouldn't that be like several cups cooked?

Sorry if I appear amazed but I am LOL

Edith

I'm also amazed

I'm a big eater but can't imagine eating more than a cup of cooked oatmeal. One cup of dry oats is a lot of bowls of fiber!!

Debra

RE: I'm also amazed

Thanks everyone for your input on the oatmeal.

FYI--Kathy I just wanted to tell you that I have been taking the Udo's. I put it on a healthy pancake that I make as well as healthy french toast and a tuna patty that I make with sauteed veggies. I really like it. Now I would NEVER take it by itself. However, I guess when it comes down to it, it just depends on your taste. I have heard really good things about it in regards to getting your EFA's. I have noticed that I feel a little stronger during my workouts, I seem to stay full longer and my skin is not as dry. I feel that it is b/c of this oil since I have not changed much in the way of supplementation latley or diet.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Jessica

Hi Jessica! Thanks a lot for the info. I had heard over on another website from those people that it was nasty so maybe they were taking it straight. I'll definitely try it out your way. Sounds great! Kathy

I use regular old Quaker Oats and then add 1/2 scoop of Optimum Whey Vanilla Ice Cream powder after cooking. That's the same 16 g of protein for a fraction of the cost. Since I'm not familiar with this particular Oatmeal- is there anything else special about it or is it just higher in protein?

FitnessRN

A little info on Steel cut oats, (like McCanns).

Steel Cut Oats

01/27/99

-- Adapted from The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham (Wings Books, 1987)

Author's note: These oats are chewy and capture more of the good oat taste than rolled oats. They take longer to cook, but if you are an oat lover, please try these.

2 SERVINGS

21/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup steel-cup oats (sometimes labeled pinhead, coarse-cut, Irish or Scottish oatmeal)

1. Stove-top method: Mix the water, salt and oats together in the top of a double boiler. Cook, covered, over simmering water, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat and serve.

2. Oven method: Combine water, salt and oats in a crock pot overnight or in a covered pot in a 225-degree oven overnight. In the morning, remove the cover but do not stir. (Stirring decreases the oatmeal's creaminess). Carefully spoon into bowls.

3. Boiled method: This method produces oatmeal that is jelly-like and distinctly oaty. Shake one cup of oats into 3 cups of boiling water without stirring. Boil 5 minutes, and remove from heat. Let the oats sit overnight, covered, in a double boiler or in another large pan set in very hot water. In the morning, heat the water in the bottom of the double boiler or in the large pan, and let the oatmeal get hot for about 15 minutes.

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING:

Calories 303

Protein 13 grams

Carbohydrates 51 grams

Sugar 1 gram

Total fat 5 grams

Saturated fat 1 gram

Mono-unsaturated fat 1 g

Cholesterol 0 milligrams

Dietary fiber 8 grams

Sodium 270 milligrams

Calcium 45 milligrams

Iron 3 milligrams.

FitnessRN - what is Optimum Whey Vanilla Ice Cream powder? Anything that has ice cream in the title interests me. Seriously, I've never heard of this and I like the idea of using regular Quaker Oats and adding this. Cheap is me.

It is protein powder. Optimum Nutrition is the only kind of protein powder that my husband will make a shake with. He doesn't like the taste of the others. He usually gets Chocolate and swears that it tastes like regular chocolate milk. The cheapest place we have found to buy protein powder is www.muscledepot.com

Yes, Optimum Whey is just regular protein powder, and it is the best tasting one I've tried. The Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is good in oatmeal (add after cooking though or the consistency is very strange), as a base for a shake, or (my personal favorite) mixed with the Jello SF/FF White Chocolate Pudding mix and skim milk. The chocolate is good, too, though I'm not as big a chocolate fan. I've never tried the Strawberry Ice Cream flavor, but if you like Strawberry I'd bet it's the best tasting one out there. Try it and let me know what you think!

FitnessRN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.