Mattress ?'s

Tamster

Cathlete
I have back problems and I am currently shopping for a mattress. Any recommendations? Has anyone tried one of those memory foam mattresses? THANX!

I am searching for a new mattress too. I wake up with terrible low back pain every morning. Anyhow, my mother in law has the memory foam and she loves it. I still hear her say she doesn't sleep well. Sorry this isn't really any help. I was thinking about getting the Sleep Number because I heard a commercial that said you can try it for 3 months. Haven't made the leap yet. Melissa

DH and I used some of our tax return last year and got a new bed frame and a memory foam mattress from Room and Board, which was a total splurge and pretty expensive. DH was waking up with a sore back every morning on our old mattress from grad school and after a night on this thing he was fine and hasn't had any problems since. I really like our mattress a lot it is so comfy. I literally couldn't wait to go to bed every night. I don't know if this helps or not.

Karin

A few months ago we went to Sears and bought a Serta Perfect Sleeper (think about the commercials with the cute sheep!) with a cushy pillowtop. What a difference! I had been having back pain for months and then DH starting having it before I convinced him we needed a new mattress. Get the best one you can afford...it makes a HUGE difference.

Nicole :D

My DH and I recently (around January) bought a Sleep Number bed. I was really aprehensive at first since it was a bit pricey, BUT all I can say is it was the best decision we ever made. I have never regretted it! It is the best bed and we absolutely love it!!! It's so comfortable and we can't wait to go to bed every night! My DH has bad allergies and the memory foam beds smelled chemically and really bothered him, that's why we went with the Sleep Number bed.

I can not recomend this bed enough. It's just the best thing I've ever bought!!! Love, Love, Love it! Worth every penny we paid for it!!! HTH!

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

Tammy-I have an all-foam Mattress called Body Zone. It also goes by other names, depending on what retailer is selling it. I used to work for the company that makes them, and we retailed them out to WalMart, Linens & Things, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc. Each one of them called it something else.

In a nutshell, the actual mattress is ALL FOAM, no springs or anything else. The foam is called Visco Foam. It also came with a memory foam topper and 2 all-foam pillows (are you seeing a theme here? LOL). It's AWESOME! And not all that expensive. It came in a box, believe it or not, that fits into your shopping cart and your car. You buy it, get it home, cut open the package and the vaccuum-sealed mattress and topper 'fill out'.

I recommend it. The only problem I've experienced with it is that it's hot...foam retains body heat, but I just fix that by sleeping with less blankets.

HTH

Gayle

Tammy,
I have back problems too, but DH and I are just crazy about our Kingsdown pillowtop mattress! It's made completely of man-made materials to avoid all allergens, dust mites, etc. And it's just dreamy. Kind of pricey though, of course.

http://www.kingsdown.com/

-Nancy

Tammy,

I agree with Nancy-we have the Kingsdown pillowtop and it is the best bed ever. Yes its expensive but I will never get anything other then a Kingsdown now.

Lisa

We bought the Sleep Number bed two years ago and I love it. Because I'm an early to bed person and DH is not, I would wake up when he'd come to bed - it was really taking a toll on us. We were also waking up sore and achy, feeling much older than our actual age.

It took a couple weeks for us to figure out what number we each liked. The best part is for those occassions when you want or need something softer or firmer, you can change the firmness to adapt to that particular day or week without buying a whole new mattress. To be honest I rarely do this, but DH likes to play with the remote - men and remotes, go figure!!

Plus, he doesn't wake me up when he comes to bed as often (he still has to learn the art of being quiet, but oh well). I also don't wake up if he has a restless night (and vice versa). As for the back aches, gone.
:)

Tammy, I have TREMENDOUS back problems. My dh and I bought a $35 air mattress by Coleman from Wal Mart (camping section). It fits in our waterbed frame perfectly and is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept in.

Another vote for Sleep Number.

We actually just received ours earlier this week. I have slept on it for 3 nights now and I have noticed a huge difference in how I sleep already. I honestly do not wake up just to change positions or roll over!

Since I am pregnant I still wake up to use the bathroom, but other than that I am sleeping very soundly.

My husband has lots of back problems and has never been a sound sleeper, so the jury is still out with him. He is still experimenting with his setting.

We have been conteplating this purchase for nearly a year and finally just broke down and ordered it. You have a 30-night trial. The mattress arrived in 2 boxes and the assembly was easy. So, if you decided you didn't like it and wanted to return it, it really wouldn't be that bad to disassemble and repack into the original boxes. I would say you could probably return it UPS for less than $50.

Good Luck. Any new mattess is a big (but worthwhile) investment.

Tina

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. DH and I will be out mattress shopping this weekend. I have found a Kingsdown dealer and will go check them out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.