Mark Lauren

LizC7

Cathlete
Hello Everyone,
I received two of his DVD's for Christmas. Any feedback? Standalone? Add on? Not worth it? Definitely worth it?
Thanks!

I have EFX and LOVE it. The EFX workouts stand alone. I have now purchased all of his other workouts and plan to use them as doubles workouts since they are all shorter than EFX. But I have read his books and am even doing some of the workouts from his books to work myself up to being able to do a one armed push up. I also plan to try to work up to pistol squats using his book program, too. But for now I'm focusing on the one arm push up. I loved EFX and plan to incorporate it into my rotations more often. I haven't tried my other Mark Lauren DVDs yet but I plan to.

Hello Everyone,
I received two of his DVD's for Christmas. Any feedback? Standalone? Add on? Not worth it? Definitely worth it?
Thanks!

Which Dvds were you gifted? I have the book, and downloads. It all looks very good to me.

I have EFX and LOVE it. The EFX workouts stand alone. I have now purchased all of his other workouts and plan to use them as doubles workouts since they are all shorter than EFX. But I have read his books and am even doing some of the workouts from his books to work myself up to being able to do a one armed push up. I also plan to try to work up to pistol squats using his book program, too. But for now I'm focusing on the one arm push up. I loved EFX and plan to incorporate it into my rotations more often. I haven't tried my other Mark Lauren DVDs yet but I plan to.

Did you finish your EFX review? for some reason when I read it the first time I thought maybe you weren't quite finished with it. Interesting side note, maybe you have seen. In one of the new Bodyshred workouts, one of the guys does an amazing one arm push up, IIRC, when I saw it, it reminded me of that cool clip of Bruce Lee doing the two finger push up, really took me back to that time when his footage showed those amazing feats of fitness. I like that style too and will be incorporating some shorter exercises into other parts of the day.

Good luck with your one arm push ups (and pistol squats) video required upon completion, ha, ha, I'm rooting for you!

For what it is worth, I really like Lauren's workouts. I haven't bought much other than Cathe's workouts for the last 2 years. I tried YAYOG first after reading Jen's posts. I really liked the workouts as add-ons to short cardio. I can see myself doing them after Cathe's new cardio workouts. The focus is on form, control, and functional purposeful movements. His DVDs just jumped into my amazon cart on their own. In less than a month, I bought them all. I haven't had a chance to try them all yet but I have liked everything I tried.

For those interested in trying his workouts, they are half price on Amazon today. It looks like he is having a sale.

112to Guru--I didn't do the EFX "program" but I did do each workout twice before I posted the review. I received Cathe's RwH and wanted to do that! However, now that I have done two weeks of just RwH, I am incorporating other workouts into my rotation and plan to include EFX in my regular rotation as well as use his other workouts as doubles workouts. Here is the review I posted: EFX

The books are really interesting and look very doable. He really shows you how to incrementally work your way up to some very advanced exercises. He talks about how even someone who can manage to push out 80 regular push ups has problems with a single one arm pushup; so that is a completely different animal to be worked toward differently.

And yes, I saw in Jillian's Michael's new program some of the exercises being done--they looked very Mark Laurnesque! I was sold as soon as I saw her trailer. But I have too many new workouts I have to get through right now. I will buy her Bodyshred, but probably not until closer to this summer. Maybe by then Mark Lauren's workouts will have prepared me for her program!

Jen, I'm curious how you will work EFX into your regular rotation. As a strength day, cardio day, an add-on, a doubles workout? I see from your review that each workout is pretty long when you include the warm-up and cooldown with all three complexes. Since RWH has the shorter workouts, I was thinking of using it as an add-on to some of them, but that would mean maybe skipping the warm-up and doing only one or two of the complexes at a time. Do you think it would be worth it to use it like that?

That is a good question catwoman! I haven't been spending as much time mapping out rotations as I usually do. Right now I am only a week ahead of myself. I do plan to sit down and work on it some more. I know his other ones are all approx 30 minutes or less and I will just do them as doubles workouts, but EFX will be different. I actually plan to play with my rotation over the next few days. I'll let you know what I come up with.

That is a good question catwoman! I haven't been spending as much time mapping out rotations as I usually do. Right now I am only a week ahead of myself. I do plan to sit down and work on it some more. I know his other ones are all approx 30 minutes or less and I will just do them as doubles workouts, but EFX will be different. I actually plan to play with my rotation over the next few days. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Jengollf, I would be interested in knowing how you will incorporate EFX as well. Due to the posts here, I just ordered it :D.

I am so glad to learn about Mark Lauren. I'm a big body weight fan (I also like to use weights, but love to have some workouts that are strictly bodyweight). Because of posts here in the past, I purchased Weider Ruthless and just loved it. I still mix it into my rotations. Thanks for clueing us in, especially on sales. I just purchased Mark Lauren. Thank you!

Ok, I've mapped out the rest of my January rotation. None of this is set in stone, but it is what I am going to try to do. I may find once I start the rotation it doesn't work for me, but for now, this is the plan. This week and next week is RwH + Les Mills Combat for me so the rotation below starts 1/12/15. And also, as background, I am doing the RwH heavy strength workouts this week and next. The first workout listed for each day is my morning workout and doubles will be what I do after I get home from work. I have 3 weeks planned out and will re-evalute after that.

Week 1
Day 1 EFX 1/ Doubles: YAYOG Novice 1
Day 2 Tabatacise premix 5/Doubles: YAYOG Novice 2
Day 3 EFX 2/Doubles: Mobility RX 1
Day 4 HIIT Upper Body Circuit + Abs 1/Doubles: YAYOG Novice 3
Day 5 EFX 3
Day 6 HIIT Lower Body Circuit + Abs 2
Day 7 Rest

Week 2
Day 1 RwH Chest, Shoulders & Tris + Abs 2 + Low Impact HIIT 2 (no doubles)
Day 2 Plyo HIIT 1 + Shiva Rea 20 minute yoga/Doubles: YAYAOG Intermediate 1
Day 3 RwH Legs + Abs 1/Doubles: YAYOG Intermediate 2
Day 4 Plyo HIIT 2 + Shiva Rea 20 minute yoga/Doubles: YAYOG Intermediate 3
Day 5 RwH Back, Shoulders and Bis
Day 6 BodyFit 360 Volume 3
Day 7 Rest

Week 3
Repeat week 1 except Doubles YAYOG will be advanced workouts and Mobility RX will be workout #2.

I was just watching his Body Weight Training on You Tube. It shows straps that you hook to the top of a door. Does anyone have these and where do you get them? They look interesting.

Thanks Jengollf, I guess when I first read your review, it just sounded like you weren't quite done with it yet. I think I may just start with the mobility one, as I have another bodyweight workout to work with ATM. I call them bricks (the tri term) because I'm training with them both, together, and often times, one right after the other. A functional foundation of sorts.

Looking forward to your YAYOG review as well.

I'm doing EFX this week, too, exercise-lover. In fact, I am doing the above rotation (with a few tweaks). I love just love his workouts! Am really enjoying this rotation. I am feeling it all over. I did his Mobility RX #1 yesterday and some of it was very painful (the good painful, but painful).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.