Mammogram Question

I think the incidence of BC in the general population is 1 in 8 or 9. You are only at greater risk if you have a first degree relative (mother or sister) who had breast cancer. Having a grandmother who had BC does not put you at greater risk than the general population.

Drs typically won't recommend mammograms before 40 in people who don't have a family hx. So I don't think it is strange that a Dr. wouldn't recommend a mammogram in someone who had no family hx whatsoever.

I had my first mammogram last year (I am 39 and due for my second). A mammogram is really nothing to be afraid of. It is quick, painless, and not anymore embarassing than other things doctors do to you.

I just had a barium enema, and I don't think a test exists that could be worse. So I guess everything is relative.

Another reason I am so sensitive about mamograms is because several women where I work (approximately 5) have recently (past three or four years) been diagnosed and treated. And those are just the women I know. They are all between late 30's early 40's. Because it has been hitting close to home, my perspective is one of more urgency.

Limecat, you are killing me!}(

Not a problem, don't sweat it out. A few minutes of discomfort that could probably help save your life. Small price for the time spent, ya know?

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
:7

Hi
If you're worried about the pain, try to schedule your mammogram for the week AFTER your period and take some ibuprofen about 20 minutes before the exam. I found this info out AFTER my first mammogram and tried it before my second. It really helped.

Early Detection

It is correct that doctors don't typically recommend mammograms before age 40 in women with no family history of breast cancer. The Amercian Cancer Society recommends yearly mammograms beginning at age 40. www.cancer.org The breast tissue in younger women is more dense, which makes it more difficult to detect abnormalities with a mammogram. Please keep in mind that some providers may use the screening guidelines of another group such as the National Cancer Institute (NCI) or U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)which recommend screening evcery 1 to 2 years beginning at age 40.

If you have a family history of breast cancer, you should discuss early detection options with your provider.

As Candi has mentioned, a lack of family history does not eliminate the risk of breast cancer. I always tell my patients that for there to be a family history someone has to be the first to have the disease.

If you know of anyone who may qualify for a free pap, pelvic, CBE, and/or mammogram please check out... you could help save a life:
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/sps/index.htm

Edited to add: Breast self exam can save your life. This simple screening is not encouraged as strongly as it was, BUT it saved my breast friend's mother's life. Her mother found a lump 9 months after a normal mammogram and normal CBE. If you detect a change, please see your health care provider.

Take care!

I had my first mammogram 2 months ago (i'm 23) they found a lump in my breast. It was such a simple procedure....didn't hurt a bit! But just like someone said i was so surprised of how flat they were when they were taking the xrays. :eek:

Hi, I had my mammogram today and I feel so silly for worrying about it - I even had trouble sleeping. It didn't hurt, I felt tugging and smooshing but no pain, very weird! I had a lump (sort of) so my doc prescribed it. I'm very happy that the results are good.:) :) :) I closed my eyes and held my breath - then it was over.

Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.