Making own plate/pace weights dumbbells

Kitterfly

Cathlete
I've been doing some reading in the forums and saw some mention on plate/pace weights?, weighted magnets that can be put on dumbbells to increase their weight. Has anyone made their own? I went to the craft store got some powerful magnets, put them on my small 1.25 and 2.5 lb metal barbell plates and put them on the sides of my 25lb dumbbells, looks like its goona work great. ( havent glued the magnets on the plates yet).

What a neat idea one of you guys came up with gonna save a ton of money on buying the next set up of dumbbells, I get to have a smaller increment dumbbell also, can still use the plates on my barbell since the magnets are small, and I save space. Now I just have to make sure to use enough magnets so the wieghts dont slide off but it doesnt seem like its going to be a problem at all :p Maybe I can find Some 1/2 pounders also that would be great for the future sts program I'm planning. Thanks

Sounds cool if it works. Definately need strong magnets.
I have both a set of pace weights and plates mates and I think the magnet is stronger on the pace weights.

I think they are great for dumbbell weight increments you can't buy - like 11, 13, 14,etc lbs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.