Mad Cow Disease

Cruncholi

Cathlete
Is anyone else fretting about the reports of mad cow disease like I am? As I sit here eating and drinking dairy products (milk in cereal and coffee and cottage cheese), I'm wondering if I'm going to get the disease. I know it's not likely, but strange things happen.

Hi, Linda!

Don't worry about dairy products. They are safe. The risk arises if you eat ground meat because it may contain spinal fluid or the sort of tissue that can be infected. I am no longer eating hamburger unless I grind it myself. Otherwise, the beef supply is not at risk. If only these ding dongs would feed vegetarian cow's a vegetarian diet, this stuff would not happen! As you said, most likely it was isolated and won't be a problem. Aside from the Mad Cow, who wants to ingest parts of a cow that I wouldn't eat if they were placed on a plate in front of me, but will consume if they are ground up? I heard on NPR that the cow showed no symptoms although it was an unhealthy cow due to injuries sustained during the birth of a calf. Made me wonder why they think anyone would eat a sick cow? We don't eat too much red meat and my husband is in charge of steak. I have a Cuisinart, so if I want a burger, I'll use it to ground steak just to err on the side of caution. Or just eat a Boca!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/coollook.gif Bobbi

P.S. Linda, Mad Cow, unlike Hoof and Mouth disease, is not contagious and can only be produced by ingesting contaminated feed. Most feed producers are in compliance with gov. standard's by now. There are many safeguards in place to prevent this from happening and should contamination occur, there are also safeguards in place to keep contaminated meat out of our food supply. That's how they caught the cow that was the source of this scare and all that days meat was voluntarily pulled from the market. I hope this reassures you!

Have I ever told you how much I love your screenname? It rocks!

While the meat has been recalled, some of it may have already reached consumers. The recall effort is in process. Under the U.S. system of "food safety", processing & distribution proceed before testing is complete. But Ag Dept officials are offering assurances that the parts of the cow that carry the disease were not processed for human consumption.

Linda, you do not need to worry about this particular cow since you live in New York. The current lead story on Yahoo has more details.

Debra

and food for thought....:)
Some economists in my area have a theory that the beef prices were getting way way too high. So with a mad cow "scare" the prices will fall into a more reasonable range.
See if the beef prices don't come down in your grocery stores soon. ;-)
The ranchers can't sell their livestock at the moment, to other countries with the current ban. The beef has to go somewhere as the farmer can't afford to feed these animals on the farm. He will have to accept a more modest price for his beef. Considering how much the feed cost is and other supplies the cow had to have, the farmer is more than likely not going to make much of a profit.
I know our feed bill will run $6000 and the selling price of the livestock may be only $3000. Not much money in farming anymore.
Someday if a person does want a steak for dinner, he will either have to import it or have his own cow in the backyard or balcony.
This was only 1 cow and the whole world goes crazy. Does that now sound odd? I have news reports from a couple of years ago of the "mad cow' in the deer and other animals in 7 states out west. I'm surprise there hasn't been an all and all outbreak before now.
After 2 or so years, this is amazing ...only one cow.
Just another way of viewing things. :)

I tend to agree with Cathe4me. Beef prices were going thru the roof because of the low carb craze diets. I heard on this morning's news that the cow in question was a Canadian cow (somehow he/she ended up in Washington state). At any rate, I will continue to eat an occasional steak without worry. I quit eating ground beef several years ago when the quality went downhill...and Bobbi is right...who knows WHAT you're getting unless you grind your own? Kitchenaid makes a meat grinding accessory for their food processors and mixers if you want to do your own. DH and I use ground turkey when we want a burger or make tacos. Tastes better and is less fatty :)

Yes, I believe that is the case. To be in any danger, we have to ingest the brain or spinal material of an infected cow and that is most likely to show up in ground beef. (unless of course you eat cow brains:p ) I believe that during the mad cow scare in England, most people that got the disease associated with it were eating brains. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I am a little freaked out, because we live in Portland, Oregon, but my husband is stoked, because he wants beef prices to go down. But then again, Wanda--I agree with you--it is only one cow, so what are the chances of getting sick anyway? Probably pretty slim.

take care
Maggie

RE: Mad Cow Disease: A Brit's ha'pennies worth

>Yes, I believe that is the case. To be in any danger, we
>have to ingest the brain or spinal material of an infected cow
>and that is most likely to show up in ground beef. (unless of
>course you eat cow brains:p ) I believe that during the mad
>cow scare in England, most people that got the disease
>associated with it were eating brains. Someone correct me if
>I am wrong.

Hiya
At this stage, (to the best of my knowledge) those who went on to contract Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (the human form of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) do not necessarily know how they contracted C.J.D. I don't wish to scaremonger but I remember reading of cases where people who had never eaten beef went on to develop C.J.D. Some may have contracted it from other (unaware) C.J.D. patients via a transfusion. It's a very complex issue and Bobbi is absolutely right in what she said about mechanically recovered meat and about the (horrific) fact that it was spread by feeding cattle meat and bone meal (MBM); a diet utterly unsuited to them. The exact origin of B.S.E. is not known but it is thought to have made it's first appearance in the 1970s. Sheep suffer a similar disease called Scrapie and this was also thought to be a factor in the cause of B.S.E. but I believe the current thinking is that it was not a factor. You can read more about it here: www.bseinquiry.gov.uk Be warned it is *very* disturbing and unpleasant reading.

I still eat beef but I will not eat mince etc. unless I grind it myself or see it done by someone I know well. Nothing in the world would make me eat offal but I have read that it is another "hot zone" for B.S.E./C.J.D. infection. I live in the UK and I am horrified to hear that B.S.E. has emerged in other countries. I think in this country, we have learned our lesson. At least I hope so.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

I am not trying to correct you because the news report I saw could have been wrong, but the reporter did say that ground beef was fine. They said what you did, Maggie, about the brain and spinal chord (ewww....they ate that once on Fear Factor:p )but that this is not in ground beef. Basically they were saying anything muscle is fine, is it sausage that has the nerves and the nastier of the by products.

Again, I could also be wrong, but that was the report for that day:)

Also, I am not a bit freaked out. Not that this is the way I would choose "to go" but my feeling is something has to kill us all, that is the only certainty in life, and I am not afraid of my life ending because of my faith. I would add that the video of people who have suffered from this are heartbreaking and I would never wish that on anyone. So, so sad.

I will say that one of my first thoughts was the beef prices coming down, because of what has already been said here about them going up due to all the high protein diets. The last tri tip I bought was rediculously high, and I have been making far more chicken lately.

From what I've read BFE can be transmitted thru bone marrow. So, any steaks w/the bone in have been in contact w/the marrow. Bonemeal used in gardening, which is easily inhaled. Gelatins, which r added to all kinds of foods for thickening, are made from collegen fron cows bone/bone marrow. White sugar is somehow processed w/bone marrow to whiten it. This may explain how those who don't eat beef contracted mad cow.
I also saw on another message board that they recalled all the parts (hooves and the like)from this farm in Washington State that were sent to many different manufactures that boil them down to make candles, creams and lotions. Now, I don't understand why they would be concerned w/this unless somehow even lotions and creams r a threat to humans, which doesn't go along with just the spine and brain being a threat. ????? I'm full of questions.
Here's some info I've found, sorry it's too long and a repeat of what's already been posted

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20031223-103657-3424r

snip:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 23 (UPI) -- Although the United States Department of Agriculture insisted the U.S. beef supply is safe Tuesday after announcing the first documented case of mad cow disease in the United States, the agency for six months repeatedly refused to release its tests for mad cow to United Press International.

The USDA claims to have tested approximately 20,000 cows for the disease in 2002 and 2003, but has been unable to provide any documentation in support of this to UPI, which first requested the information in July.

snip:

Finally, UPI threatened legal action in early December if the agency did not respond.

In a Dec. 17 letter to UPI from USDA Freedom of Information Act Office Andrea E. Fowler, the agency wrote: "Your request has been forwarded to the (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) for processing and to search for the record responsive to your earlier request."

this article also mentions that former USDA vets have "long suspected" that mad cow is present in the US.
------------------------------------------------

Here is why milk and dairy products may be
the key to passing on Mad Cow Disease to humans:

The active substance that causes Mad Cow Disease to spread
to humans and causes a brain-wasting encephalopathy called
Cruetzfeld Jacob Disease (CJD) is the Prion. Prions
are protein fibrils, crystalline in structure. They
are not destroyed by Pasteurization.

Since one single cows filters 10,000 quarts of blood through
her udder each day, chances are that an infected cow has
spread her disease to humans in her milk. Ten pounds of
milk are required to make one pound of hard cheese. Twelve
pounds of milk make one pound of ice cream. Twenty-one
pounds of milk make one pound of butter."

http://www.notmilk.com/m.html
----------------------------------------------
300 US Companies Violating Mad Cow Rules

List of the companies at http://www.foe.org/factoryfarms/feedregviolators.htm

An FDA announcement dated Oct. 10 is at:
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/updates/bsedata.htm

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release October 10, 2003

Mad Cow Prevention Rules Violated by 300 U.S. Companies FDA Asked to Take Action to Protect Public Health and Farmers

Washington, D.C. - A total of 300 U.S. companies are in violation of federal regulations meant to prevent Mad Cow disease, also known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE). The data comes from the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) own database of animal feed company inspection records updated this week for the first time in 17 months. The number of companies violating the law is more than double the number listed by the FDA in April 2002.

The regulations are meant to prevent cattle and other ruminant parts from being fed to cattle and other ruminants, a form of animal cannibalization once commonly practiced and now considered most likely to spread Mad Cow disease. The disease is suspected of causing a deadly brain disorder in humans called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Human symptoms, which may not appear for 20 years, include hallucinations, loss of memory, dementia, uncontrollable crying or screaming, and inability to speak or walk. There is no known cure for the disease which is always fatal.

"Just one bad apple in the barrel could put Americans a risk of getting Mad Cow disease," said Brent Blackwelder, president of Friends of the Earth, the group that disclosed the increase in violators as well as numerous lapses in FDA data. "In addition to the risks posed to consumers, it would cost the U.S. cattle industry billions to recover, just like it cost the Canadian cattle industry earlier this year."

As part of its prevention program, the FDA inspects feed companies in the United States to determine whether they are in compliance with federal Mad Cow prevention rules, which include keeping feed made with cattle parts separate from feed for cattle and labeling feed with the banned material. The company database is maintained by the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine. A new version was posted at http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/bse/RuminantFeedInspections.htm Oct. 7.

Of 300 firms in violation of FDA regulations, 173 handle or distribute prohibited materials. And 32 of these handle both prohibited materials and ruminant feed, making them the most likely firms to spread Mad Cow disease. Additionally, 1779 records out of 11,172 have no listing of any action taken by the FDA after it completed its own inspection.

"Given the terrible costs to Canadian farmers of just one mad cow, you would think that the FDA would have perfected their system by now. If cattle ranchers and dairy operators want to know where to buy safe feed, the information available from FDA is insufficient," said John Kinsman, who owns dairy cattle and is president of the Wisconsin-based group Family Farm Defenders. A bull in Canada was infected with Mad Cow in May 2003 and an eighth incidence of Mad Cow was announced in Japan this week. No reports have occurred in the United States, but only 9 percent of downer cattle (animals that cannot walk, exhibit symptoms of neurological disease, and/or that die or are killed for reasons other than routine slaughter) are tested in the United States compared to 100 percent in the European Union and Japan.

"As long as U.S. federal oversight is weaker than that in other nations and loopholes in Mad Cow prevention regulations exist, the safest way for individuals to avoid the disease is to eat organic, grass fed beef or know the farmer who produced it," continued Kinsman.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/violations101103.cfm
-------------------------------------------------

I'm also NOT trying to be alarmist, just believe in passing on the facts.
Just wanted to add how just Friday on the news we were told it would probably be months before we knew where this cow came from, if we ever know. Then, Wham, the next day they come out saying the cow came from Canada. It reminded me of that song from South Park, "Blame Canada". Atleast Canada tested the cow before it was sent to the slaughter house and out to the public! The funny thing is that cow in Canada did come from the U.S. We didn't hear that on the news down here but my family in Canada heard it on their news. Plus, even if the Washington state cow is from Canada it came here years ago and could of contracted BFE here from the feed.

One more thing...what about our pets? These "downer" cows r often used for dog and cat foods! Why r we not testing EVERY downer cow? Could be $$$$, the bottom line.
Just some food for thought.

Nikita

>
>One more thing...what about our pets? These "downer" cows r
>often used for dog and cat foods! Why r we not testing EVERY
>downer cow? Could be $$$$, the bottom line.
>Just some food for thought.
>
>Nikita
>
>

It has already found it's way into domestic animals ;(

Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel a bit better about it-especially dairy products. I probably will choose not to eat beef for now since I probably would not enjoy it in my current state of mind about the mad cow reports. I like the idea of an organically fed cow and will definitely not eat any ground beef.

Bobbi, I think when we had the screen name thread a while back you said you liked my screen name! Thanks!

Hi again, Linda, it has always bothered me that cows are fed corn-based diets when they should be eating grass and they are given hormones and antibiotics to make them larger, better milk producers and to help them adapt to this unnatural diet. Yesterday I hopped off to Trader Joe's for hormone and antibiotice free milk and eggs (free range) which I haven't done in awhile since I have been too busy with Christmas. For a while the supermarket I use most often carried natural meat but quit. I know some still do. It is more expensive but we only eat it once a week or so, so I don't mind that. We have Wild Oats too, a chain of natural food stores, so I bought some wild trout, natural beef and natural chicken too. ($7.00 a pound!) I don't always go organic and natural but I do it a lot and I figure my liver had better be able to handle the toxins I can't avoid ingesting. I like to eat a lot of vegetarian food too but my family are avowed carnivores! I'm sure I'll feel better with les cow estrogen in my system! lol! Moo! I went totally vegetarian for awhile but it was too hard cooking two meals at dinner time so I gave in!
I think this is a great example that Mother Nature is not to be messed with!

Bobbi,
I couldn't agree more. I would buy organic foods all the time if they weren't so expensive. I usually buy organic milk, eggs, and sometimes produce. Occasionally I buy free ranging chicken breasts when my grocery store has them. Also, wild salmon--but that's up to $18.99 per pound this week. I am going to be making and eating more vegetarian meals for now for my husband and I. If money only grew on trees, we could have much healthier livers!

Thanks for the extra information--our daily paper had an article stating just what you did regarding C.J.D.

Why are they feeding cows meat products anyway? That really grosses me out.

take care
Maggie

Oh, I know! I dropped a hundred bucks on organic and got very little. I aim for half and half. Half is better than none. We eat so mcu chicken I couldn't buy organic exclusively. It'd be cheaper to eat out every night. But the Costco Wholesale warehouse has all natural chickens with no added solution so I buy that. The beef I'll get at the Health Food store!

Well, the information seems to be changing from day to day. Anyway, they recalled a bunch of ground beef here in Portland because there was some concern that the cow in question may have ended up in several stores here. I hadn't heard anything about sausage--aaakk! I think that I will just be in denial about all this and eat like I always do because the risk seems very low anyway and one can get the disease even if one doesn't eat infected beef.

And I must add that due to my faith I am not particularly concerned with how I die either, however, I do get afraid when I think of my kiddos and my husband--just one of my fear areas I guess. (I hope that didn't sound terse--I did not mean for that:) )

take care
Maggie

>Thanks for the extra information--our daily paper had an
>article stating just what you did regarding C.J.D.
>
>Why are they feeding cows meat products anyway? That really
>grosses me out.
>
>take care
>Maggie

I think at that time, it was considered the cheapest way to feed cattle. Personally, I doubt that it really would have been cheaper because the man hours, equipment and power needed to er... "recycle" other cattle would have cost more money and time than using the food they should have had.

Can you imagine what the general public would have thought if they had known what these animals were being fed? It's not just distasteful (no pun intended), it is also utterly horrific. It's bad enough that not every animal is guaranteed compassionate treatment and high quality of life but to do what was done in the 70s & 80s is appalling beyond words. It is no wonder that B.S.E. has spread throughout the world. Other countries had (at least I hope it's a "had" and not a "have") the same practice and the disease has been around for at least 30 years :( The bans when they came, will not have come early enough: global exports of meat. M.B.M. et al make that a certainty.

At the end of the day, all you can do is avoid the kinds of "meat products" (does anyone else hate that term? :( ) that are considered to be high risk and live life to the fullest. C.J.D. does not appear to be a guaranteed result of eating B.S.E. infected food and many people who consumed high risk food during the B.S.E. outbreaks have not gone on to develop C.J.D. It doesn't make it any the less scary but it helps to put things into perspective.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.