Lunges & Squats

shouldbesad

Cathlete
I had to take off 1 1/2 weeks of workouts due to a cold and at the end of the time-off I noticed that the pain I have most of the time in my knees was gone. But, by the end of Slow & Heavy Legs I could feel the pain returning. Now 2 days later, I definitely know that those squats and lunges are the problem.

I keep my weights between none & 20 lbs and I concentrate on putting my weight in my heel/heels and squeezing my glutes but to no avail.

After doing a search on the forums, I see I am not the only one having this prob. So, could I request that you have an exerciser in the background do a modified version of squats and lunges? Or at the very least, instruct us before starting of alternatives ways to do them to lessen the impact? Thank you.

Diane

Diane - I've had knee issues in the past, and squats seem to irritate it. I use the stability ball. I put it between me and a wall, and lean against it (like Cathe does in Drill Max, I think it is). I hold dumbbells instead of using a barbell. I squat up and down as you would in a regular squat, rolling the ball up and down against the wall. Leaning back against the ball takes some of the pressure off my knees. This version focuses a bit more on the quads instead of the glutes, but once you get used to it, you can concentrate and hold the squat at the bottom, which will hit the glutes more.

I had a problem w/ my knees when I started doing Cathe's tapes. I wore a knee brace for a few months. I havent;t used on in nearly 2 years! Hope this helps! Kay

I find Slow and Heavy legs to be particularly problematic (probably because of more time under tension), especially the lunges, so I usually do a different lower body workout when I do a S&H rotation.

Hey, Diane, I'm with you. I had trouble with my knees for the first time in my life after getting into exercise (years ago) after starting on lunges and squats. I've tried variations and did the mirror thing to make sure my knee wasn't in front of my foot, and that my knees weren't bucking in or darting out, I did them without any weights, I tried them bending only halfway......but it was a no-go.

I've just decided that, even though I always hear how important they are to do, they just aren't for my leg type LOL.

I've been doing all my leg exercises from portions of Cathe workouts that don't use squats and lunges (band stuff, ankle weight stuff, floor work, kickboxing standing drills etc).

I would love to see someone in the background doing alternate moves!

I was really happy to see the latest blog pictures! It looks like there's a lot of variety in the lower body exercises. Squats and lunges don't bother my knees, thank goodness, but I still like some good old fashioned floor work once in awhile ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.