lunges and plie squats -- okay when pregnant?

Hej

Hi,

I am 23 weeks pregnant. Lately, when I do lunges or plie squats I get an achy pain in the pubic area. I have never had this type of thing when I was not pregnant or newly post partum. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is it okay to do lunges and plies when you are pregnant? Thanks.

Mary

Here's the answer that Sheila Watkins gave to me during my last pregnancy concerning plie squats (this was back in 2002).

How are you feeling? Sorry about the conflicting advice. Let's set the record straight about plie squats. As my knowledge of biomechanics increases, I am better able to analyze an exercise's effect on the pregnant body. Plie squats place excessive force on the sacroiliac (SI) joint and the knees. We all know that the sacroiliac joint is affected by pregnancy. Many women experience low back pain as a result of the laxity in this joint during pregnancy. Why place unnecessary force on an already stressed and vulnerable joint? Do you own a Resistaball, or other stability ball? Regular squats done with the ball between your back and the wall are an excellent choice. Make sure that your feet are a little more than shoulder width apart and your knees are facing forward. Do not put your feet way out in front of your shoulders when squatting. Make sure that the glutes track under the ball as well

I had the same thing when I was about as far along as you are. My doctor said my baby was head down and pretty low and the baby's position was causing the achiness in the pubic area. If it was very uncomfortable for me, I'd stop doing lunges or plie squats; however, on some days it really didn't bother me so I did them. The achiness got really bad the last two months of my pregnancy so I had to stop and ended up doing mostly prenatal videos or lots of walking. I know it sounds generic, but listen to your body!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Karen

This happened to me with all 3 of my pregnancies--I thought I was the only one! I imagine it must be safe to do lunges and plies, as I know people who have not had this problem and were fine with them. It was so uncomfortable/painful for me though (not so much when I was doing them but afterwards), that I eventually cut out all lower body weight work at some point in each pregnancy. Honestly, I do not think it set me back too much. I still did Cathe cardio (modified!) all nine months. Best of luck and congratulations!

Thanks for the help, Erica H, Karen and lovetostep! I guess if lunges and plies are putting extra pressure on the joint and hurting, I should stop doing them.

Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.