Lubbock, TX, Pheonix AZ

ejostling

Cathlete
If you're from either places, please give a shout out. My husband just got back from TX for an interview and leaves next week for AZ.

Where is the best neighborhoods for families, schools?
Your impressions overall of the areas.

Thanks so much, I've never been to either place and this will be a big move for us from Michigan. I don't want to make a BIG mistake!

Sally

I used to live in Lubbock when my husband was in medical school. the population must be around 200,000 now, and has really grown in the last 10 years. Its hardly a metropolis, but does have Texas Tech University, so there is a college town feel to it. The shopping is greatly improved and there is alot of eating options too. The draw back for me was the weather, very windy, hot and dry (normally, this year was very different). We are actually going to visit in 2 weeks, my sister still lives there. I don't know about housing, though there were alot of new housing developments starting up when we left. West Texas is a unique place to live, we overall did enjoy the 4 years we lived there. We didn't have kids yet when we were there, but the Wolforth(sp) school district had a very good reputation, as they were right outside Lubbock on the west side. Good luck with your decision!

Hi Sally,

I live in Phoenix, in an area called Ahwatukee. Whereas not a city it is part of Phoenix with a Phoenix zipcode, it is one of Phoenix's 15 urban villages, it spreads over a radius of 40 square miles with a population of about 85,000. It is bordered by South Mountain with hiking and biking trails, horseback riding and several golf courses.

Ahwatukee has been recognized by Money Magazine as one of America's best places to live. Most households are families, one reason for that is the exellent school system. K-8 are served by the Kyrene School District which is one of the best, only topped by Paradise Valley School District (but unless you have $ 1 Mio+ to plunk down on a small house - Paradise Valley won't be an option). The two highschools are operated by the Tempe Union Highschool District.

There are several charter schools (Keystone Montessori, Horizon Learning Center, etc) with excelling performance. There are also some fancy private schools which I think are far behind the Kyrene Schools, my kids attended one of them for many years and we found out that they were trailing far behind the public school system. My kids are 7 and 11 and now attend a Kyrene District Elementary School and Junior High School and LOVE it.

I moved straight to Ahwatukee from Germany a little over 11 years ago and it was a HUGE change for me, but definitely for the better! There is no other place that I would want to live.

All my favorite places are just a few minutes drive away. Lifetime Fitness is about 10 min from my house, this gym is very family oriented, they have a gazillion classes for children of all ages. My all-time favorite store IKEA, is right next to the gym - pretty hard on my credit card though }(

The City of Phoenix just built a brand-new community center with all kinds of classes for adults and children. It is a huge complex called Pecos Park Community Center with several soccer, baseball volleyball and basketball fields, tennis courts, a skate park, a pool and two dog parks.

The YMCA has one of it's largest facilities right here in Ahwatukee.

Trader Joe's is a minute from my house, there is a new Whole Foods store about 15 minutes away as is the Westcor Chandler mall. There are lots of restaurants, recreation, etc. just a stonethrow away.

There are several lakes for boating and water skiing around, however, it is about 1 hour drive from Ahwatukee. In the winter we go snow skiing in Northern Arizona, about 3 hours drive and you are in the snow.

I find people in Arizona are much friendlier and laid-back than in any place I had been to before. People are just not as formal here as in other places.

Part of it maybe the 360 days of sunshine every year. It's hard to be formal or depressed when you get up and have a beautiful sunshiny day :). One of the drawbacks for many people is the summer heat. I don't have a problem with it, it is really only 3 months out of the year that are pretty hot. In June and July the temperatures can hit 110 to 115 degrees, but it is a dry heat. In August the temperatures start dropping, however, due to the monsoon, it gets pretty humid (about 40 % humidity). The rest of the year is gorgeous, in the winter months temperatures average about 60 to 65 degrees, the spring time is my favorite time of the year, it's about 70 to 80 degrees and the whole desert is in bloom.

Whereas we had a housing boom in 2005 and 2006, and house prices almost doubled, we are now experiencing a down turn, price have become more affordable and it has definitely turned into a buyer's market. Maricopa county is doing their part with grant money, etc. to help people achieve home ownership and keep the market going.

Other than Ahwatukee there are many great areas, like Gilbert, Chandler, Scottsdale, to name a few but it would get too lengthy.

In any case, other than living here and loving it, I have also been a real estate agent for the past 10 years. I know and have worked in most of the areas in the Greater Phoenix Metro area and can get you more information, if you need/want it. Feel free to email me directly.

Hope this helps!

LUBBOCK!!! WOW!!! My home town!

We are going labor day weekend actually.

Lubbock has grown a ton in the past 5 years. It's rather cheap to live, but not a ton to do. It's very easy to get around, because its a big square. If I could move back, I would!! Schools are hit or miss in Lubbock. Elementary I would recommed mufee, honey, waters, Haynes. Jr High, i would say Evans, Irons, or O.L. Slaton, but only OL for acaddemics, as its not in the best part of town. High school, academic wise, Lubbock High is the best of the best! FANTASTIC! However, its in a not so great part of town, and you have to be accepted there. Monterey and Coronado are the best. Of the 2, I would say Coronado.

If you lived outside the limits, you could go to wolforth, which has GREAT (read, better than LISD) schools. Frendship is that district name. That area is a little pricier, but not horrid.

There are TONS of amazing restraunts. But honestly, that's about it. Texas Tech is there, so you could go to football games and such.

I am biased, but I highly recommend you move there:) What the PP poster said is true, it is VERY dry there. But, its home:)

Jessica, who now wants to hop on the next plane and go 'home'

Hi everyone,

My husband really liked Lubbock, seems to be a great town. Carola, what is the zip code for Ahwatukee so I can run a zip code search on Realtor.com? Thanks,

Sally

Hi Sally,

The zipcodes are 85044, 85045 and 85048. Let me know if you need anything.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your husband's interviews go well and that he will get the job he wants.

Have a great weekend!

Jessica,

Do you watch Spongebob? I have three boys, so I've seen a lot of Spongebob and you are making me think of Sandy singing, "I wish I was in Texas, the oceans no place for a squirrel." If this makes no sense to you, I'm sorry. I'm a little tired. Have a great night!

Sally

Sorry, no sponge bob! It's all thomas the tank engine at our house:)

Keep up updated on what you do:)

Jessica

Hi Sally,

Lubbock, here. Since I am getting to this thread a little late, have you heard anything?

I have lived here since coming to Tech in '80. My husband has lived here all his life. Our son is going to Tech now. Our daughter was
going to South Plains College, is taking a break right now.

My kids went to Honey Elementary, Evans Jr. High, and Monterey
High School. My son finished up at Lubbock High. Lubbock High is
a magnet school so you do have to apply if you aren't in the district. We actually live outside LISD, in the Cooper District.
Several people have mentioned Frenship, I think Cooper is good too.
My SIL is a teacher there! We kept our kids in Lubbock, though,
because of all their friends.

We live in southwest Lubbock. Our house is for sale in fact ;). My son has moved out and DH will be out in a year and we don't need all this space. Anyway...

The weather here is not to die for. It gets very windy in the spring
and we get dust storms. I would say my favorite season here is fall.
We have really had not too bad of a summer this year though. I don't
think we have broken 100 degrees, and we have had a lot of rain.

The shopping is good and we have tons of restaurants. This is a
sports crazy town and you can put your kids in baseball, soccer,
you name it. We have a huge medical district.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have if I know
the answer. Good luck with your move!

GwynnG

Gwynn, when were your kids in school? I went to Evans and knew TONS of people at MHS!

I'll be in Lubbock in 3 weeks!!!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

My daughter, Katie, is 23 and graduated in '03. My son, Matt, is 20 and graduated in '05. When did you go? If you were even close to that, we could probably compare notes to other people you know. What
grade school did you go to?

GwynnG

Hey! I am 24, and went to LHS before moving to Alabama. I left LHS after my sophomore year. I went to EJH and murfee elementary. I graduated HS in 2001.

Who is your oldest?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.