Lower Back exercises

C

Connie

I am wondering if you have any recommendations for lower back exercises. I am 28 weeks pregnant and my lower back is starting to give me a few aches!
Thanks
Connie

Lower back exercises and care

Hi Connie,

Sorry it took so long to answer your question. You indicated in your post that your lower back is starting to bother you. I hope that you are continuing to do modified abdominal work. You have to keep those abs strong to take the weight of the baby off the back muscles and spine. Weak abdominals can be a prelude to back pain.

As for a prenatal back strengthener: Start in the hands and knees position. Slowly extend your right arm straight out in front of you and then extend the left leg out behind you. Try to hold for a count of eight and then repeat on the other side. You can do 4 - 8 sets of these depending on your comfort level with the exercise. This will have a lot to do with the stage of pregnancy that you are at and how big your baby is. Remember to hold your baby up (i.e. abs contracted while doing this exercise).

Remember to do pelvic tilts throughout the day to stretch your lower back. You can do these standing or leaning against a wall or a desk. Also, if you are sitting a lot during the day make sure that you have your knees level with your hips. This can be accomplished by sitting with your feet resting on a small stool or stack of books. Telephone books work well. This will take the strain off your low back. Also if you are standing for prolonged periods, you should rest one foot on a low stool. This technique will bring the spine back into alignment and also take the strain off your back.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.