Low sodium diet help

berry99

Cathlete
My doctor told me to eat a low sodium diet due to vertigo, but didn't specify what low sodium actually is. I have read different recommendations on the internet. I am trying to keep sodium under 2000 mg per day which really isn't low sodium, but is way lower than what I have been eating.

To those that do control their sodium, what do you like to keep your daily sodium levels at?

I'd like to get below 2000 mg but it is kind of hard. At least I am keeping track now and aware of it.

Any suggestions or advice?

You're right that 2000 isn't low. The RDA is less than 2400 (but that's kind of the upper limit). I'd stick to about 1500 or less if possible.

The best step to take, IMO, is to remove the salt shaker from the table, and don't add salt to foods.

Also, when cooking, instead of putting in the amount of salt recipes call for, wait until farther along in the cooking process and use less. (Salt that is 'on top' of foods will be perceived more than salt that is within foods). And use a salt that is more than just sodium chloride (regular table salt, a very processed salt with all other minerals removed). There are some salt substitutes that have other minerals in, like potassium, or even things like Mrs. Dash--various blends--that have no salt, but have a salty taste. For actual 'salts,' himalayan or celtic salts have a wider variety of minerals than regular table salt. But still go light on them.

Avoid canned soups, frozen dinners and other processed foods (they are notoriously high in sodium).

HTH!

Hi!

Here's a thing to note: table salt is comprised 40% of sodium. So, the amounts for salt intake and sodium intake are not the same. Just something to be aware of when you're looking at labels or recipes.

Reading labels is the primary way you're going to get the sodium out of your diet. The amount of sodium jammed into our foods is staggering.

Start by taking a look at the sodium content in your sauces and spreads: salad dressings(!), jarred or canned pasta sauces, ketchup, bbq, mustard, relish, mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, butter, margarine, soy, hoisin, sweet & sour, etc. I was astonished at what I found in those.

Also, bread is very high in sodium; it's required for the rising process. Read labels, and see if your store offers a low sodium version.

Processed meats are off the charts. Ergo, between the bread, sauces, and meats, a submarine sandwich, even a low-fat one, is freakishly high in sodium. And as Kathryn said, the canned/processed foods are terrible, terrible, terrible! I'm seeing more and more "no salt added" canned vegetables lately, which is wonderful. I can buy unsalted tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, peas, and a few others. Tomato paste can be easily found without added salt, and nicely intensifies the flavour of a home made pasta sauce made with a can of unsalted tomato sauce and Italian spices (basil, oregano).

Also, Miss Vickies has an unsalted potato chip that is delish. I buy unsalted, non-hydrogenated margarine, or use unsalted butter for everything that requires butter. We've gotten used to eating our popcorn unsalted: we pop it in canola oil, and use some unsalted butter/margarine.

Beware of ANY kind of frozen meat, yes even good ol' boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They use salt water to keep the meat plump and juicy. Your best bet is to always buy your meat (and fruit & veggies) fresh.

In general, when a product is created to be "low fat" or "reduced sugar", they will add salt to replace the flavour. Usually I find I'm having to choose between fat/sugar in my product, or sodium.

If you want some standard, mainstream advice for reducing your sodium intake, start doing some research on the D.A.S.H. diet (Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension). It's been around for at least 20 years, and offers very sensible guidelines. There are a number of good low-sodium cookbooks on the market that are DASH-diet compatible. My two favourites are:

500 Low Sodium Recipes, by Dick Logue; and
The Low Salt Cookbook, 3rd ed. by the American Heart Association.

The Logue book has a lot of tasty low-sodium versions of things like ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, bbq sauce, etc. All the things that are jam-packed with sodium, but enhance your meals!

Good luck with this dietary change! I found it much harder to get the salt out of our diet than to reduce the fat or the sugar. Once you create new cooking habits, it'll get much easier.

Cheers,
Sandra

Last edited:
Thanks Kathryn and Sandra.

I have been tracking my sodium intake for about 3 weeks now and everyday I learn something new. I have been looking at the labels when I shop, but the other day I just ran into Whole Foods for some things and picked up naan bread. Would you believe that one piece has 420 mg sodium in it :eek:.

Kathryn - I don't use salt on my food at the table, but do use it when I cook if the recipe calls for it. Thanks for suggesting the salt substitutes.

Sandra - thank you so much for writing that long post. It is so informative. From my 3 weeks of tracking, I need to try to find low sodium tortillas, cheese, and peanut butter. Those the highest sodium items in my diet right now.

I used to use Newman's Balsamic Salad dressing and it had 400 mg sodium per 2 tbsp. Now I found a local market brand balsamic dressing that is 140 mg per 2 tbsp. It is just eye opening.

Funny you should mention a sub sandwich. I looked at the nutritional info of a turkey and ham 6" Subway sub last night and it was 800 mg!!! Incredible.

I am going to look up the DASH diet and the books you suggested. Again, I really appreciate all the time you took to write your post!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.