Low salt levels

Pippadog1

Cathlete
Hi

I had a full blood count done at the doctors and they told me I had a low salt level. Has anybody else had this or is it just me? Usually we are told to cut back on our salt, but the doctor told me to just add a little to my cooking.

Anyway, it wasn't too low. Just 126ml when it needed to be 133ml. I've ordered some electrolyte tablets from a sports retailer online. Hopefully, this will help me up my intake. I tend to drink alot of water, about 3litres a day. So that probably is the reason. I don't like salt and I never have it on food or cook with it.

The doctor didn't seem too concerned. My kidneys and liver and everything else were okay. I've never heard of low salt before, but a nurse said to me that athletes tend to get low salt.

Any ideas?

Laura

My 17 yr old DD recently passed out getting her hair cut. Her ped. sent her to a cardiologist just to check things out. Long story short- she was told to drink more water and add more salt to her food. She's tall, thin and athletic (although more so in the fall than spring). I told her she was the only person I know who could go to the doctor and be told to eat more salt...

Maybe you're losing a lot while sweating with your workouts and need an electrolyte drink for the long workouts? Just not the drinks with ++ sugar! I know if your sodium levels go too low you're at risk for central nervous system effects like altered levels of consciousness and even seizures but it has to be much lower for that to happen. Maybe this is your chance to rationalize the occasional order of McDonald's fries LOL!
Jamie

Laura,

I can relate, as I have low salt levels in my blood as well as chronic low blood pressure. I have added more salt in my cooking, tossed my air popped popcorn in salt, etc and that has helped my levels to rise somewhat. I'm still low but on the higher side of low, if that makes sense. Most electrolyte drinks don't sit well with me so I've been focusing on foods. Also, adding certain condiments like salsa and mustards is an easy way to add sodium/salt to the diet, and the same goes for cooking with broths. I often use either of those (+ sometimes a dash of neutral flavored oil) to salads or stir frys to boost my salt intake.

Lisa

I recently went through keto/low carb flu. I had this fogginess and dizziness that I couldn't shake. After reading some stuff on the internet, I found out it was salt related. I now have a cup of broth in the morning and the afternoon and put salt on everything! Feeling fine now!

I used to do yoga in a very hot room (not "hot yoga") and had electrolyte issues I guess from sweating and exertion... little twitches, etc. A daily dose of coconut water fixed me.

Hi

I received the electrolytes and have started taking them. Although its early days I feel okay and my headaches have stopped. Obviously, they are doing something lol. I have one in the morning.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
MomInVT I try to have coconut water every day and I like it. Although in the UK the coconut water is quite pricey compared to the electrolyte tablets.

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.