Low Carbers

Pollytc

Cathlete
Hey there. I've been trying a low carb diet for a few weeks now. I was wondering, for those of you who do low carb, if you happen to have any recipes, snack ideas, etc. that you might want to share? I would love new meal, snack and dessert ideas. Jello is getting a little too tiresome for me.

Thanks,

Kim

For dessert you can do chocolate cream cheese:

8 oz cream cheese
1 TBS unsweetened powdered baking cocoa
3 packets splenda

Cut up and microwave the cream cheese for 35 seconds to soften
Mix all ingredients thoroughly then refrigerate
Tastes like chocolate cheesecake

I usually eat 1 oz at a time, sometimes 2

______

Sometimes for snack I just eat unsweetened natural almond butter, maybe with a few macadamia nuts thrown in.

I don't cook much so my meals are VERY simple. Sometimes I'll fry up a lean hamburger patty, put a little tomatoe sauce over that and a little parmesan cheese. That alongside my veggies is pretty tastey.

For breakfast I'll do a half cup of pumpkin with some nitrate free ham cut up.

Oh and I'll also sometimes make a breakfast burrito with a low carb whole wheat tortilla and scrambled eggs, with some ham.

I also use those tortillas for low carb soft tacos, just fry up some ground beef, add some grated cheese, some lettuce and I add about 2T of plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream).

A friend of mine who is a low carber makes potato salad w/ no potatoes and substitutes cauliflower steamed in the place of the potatoes. If you use Hellmans mayonaisse there are no carbs.
It is absolutely delicious. She also said she has a recipe for mashed potatoes using cauliflower.

I sent you an email with a great low carb pizza recipe, hope you like it! I also make crepes with 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or 2 eggs), 2 oz Cream Cheese, 1/4 cup Splenda, 1 tsp baking powder. Blend together and cook like you would pancakes. I fill mine with cream cheese and cinnamon but you could use no-sugar jam/jelly or SF syrup too.

RS

Worth the cost...."The Low Carb Comfort Foods Cookbook".

Excellent recipes...I'll try to go look a few up. Check it out at the library if you want to view it first. The menus are fairly easy to prepare. This is one of the few books I've actually "bought" this year.

Briee

You might try www.videofitnessfanatics.com they have recipes that are low carb. My husband has been on a low carb diet for awhile. As far as snacks, I make chocolate sugar free pudding mix with lo carb milk and mix in low fat cream cheese. If you cannot find that you can use half n half. I try to keep the fat down some. Also I make sugar free Jello but cut the water in half. Then I whip 1/2 cup whipping cream and fold in. I make things for meals such as mixing lowfat ground beef with flaxseed and maybe a little bran. Then I add taco Bell taco seasoning. Just enough for one. I make two patties and put fat free cheddar in the middle and press the edges together. I put it in my George Foreman Grill. Also I take the ground beef and add italian seasoning and a little low sodium tomato sauce and mix. Then I layer it with tomato sauce or low carb pasta sauce, mozzarella and a small amount of pepperoni. I top with sauce and bake. When almost done I add some more cheese and finish. Just a couple of ideas.
Diane Sue

Visit lowcarbfriends.com

There are tons of recipes on that site. I printed out the recipe for parmesan chips and tried them, took them to work and after everyone "sampled" my chips I shared the recipe and web site. We're all low carb fiends.

Barb

A couple of other cookbooks:

500 low carb recipes and 15 minute low carb recipes (by Dana Carpender).

Oh come on RS.....that wasn't very nice....telling us about a great locarb pizza recipe without printing it!!!

PLEASE?????? Can we have it???

Briee

I am warning you, this is so easy I have gotten into a real rut with it! I listed the recipe "as is" and followed with any changes that I make...

Low Carb Pizza

4 oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 c cream
¼ c grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp garlic powder
2 c shredded mixed Italian cheese
½ cup low carb/no sugar added pizza sauce
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
Toppings of your choice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Prepare 13x9 inch pan

Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth
Add cream parmesan cheese and spices and mix again

Sprinkle the Italian cheese over the bottom of a baking dish
Pour egg mixture over cheese, cover entire pan

Bake for about 15 minutes – let stand for 5 minutes

Spread sauce on top, sprinkle mozzarella cheese and add toppings
Bake for about 10 minutes (until brown)
Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving

When I am making this recipe, because I count fat/calories too I use:
FF Cream cheese
Egg Beaters
FF Shredded Mozzarella for all shredded cheese
Hunts tomato sauce (flavored, in little can)
Artichoke Hearts, Mushrooms, and Canadian Bacon for toppings
I have also used cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella
I usually add more spices (extra garlic and oregano)
I bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes before the crust is “ready”

You will LOVE this!!!! Some days I use enchilada sauce in place of the tomato sauce and top with chopped green onions, olives and sour cream to give it more of a Mexican flava!

Wow!! RS, I made your low carb pizza w/ your substitutions and it was awesome! Tasted just like the real thing!! I made half w/ veggie sausage and the other half w/ bell peppers, black olives and artichoke hearts. My family loved it, too.

I think I'll try your crepe recipe this weekend.

Thanks for posting those! The pizza is definitely going to be made often!

:9

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.