Low Carbers & Friends - August 2012

I just have to do things the minute I think of them or they never get done :eek:! Shoot - I'm lucky I CAN think now and again :p - but I don't expect the thoughts to last very long anymore ;)!

Hi fit babes! Thank you for starting the time's-flying-new-month-already thread Lita! :D

Rhea, your tile work is AWESOME!! No wonder you had tired arms! :) Well, with your rocking workouts too, I'm sure that contributed to your sore arms too! Are you in San Diego now or are you back?

Melinda, you are sweet! And enjoy that vacation you've got coming up! In some ways, our new house is my vacation home--nothing's in it yet but it's quiet and peaceful. Tonight, DH and I painted the floors in 2 rooms with a moisture barrier. We're just doing that in the rooms that will be carpeted. The electrical is in now and most of the siding is up. I decided to hire painters for the exterior because I really don't want to mess with it. We have to do the interior as well and I am fine with that.

Still tired all the time but that's OK, it's temporary. :)

I am getting workouts in, usually 4 to 5 days a week. On my lunch hour and/or taking BB out to run. We are having a cool summer so I'm not complaining! But my little workout room at lunch becomes an oven quickly so I've gotten creative. Today was PUB Pyramid up premix, leg conditioning drills from LBB and abs from MMA Kickbox. Trying not to become a sweaty lump on the floor! Did the PS series a couple of weeks ago too. I hope it cools down a bit in there come winter!

Oh, and I pre-ordered the new series after my last post. I'm stoked about it--I almost bought Cross Train Express years ago but decided not to. Cross training has always been my favorite. Anal me is always striving to balance all of the work out. Don't want the legs worked more than the arms! :rolleyes:

What creativity on the workouts are you doing Lita? Did you get your house painted?

Talk to you soon babes, I will get here more often if I can!

Tracy - Wow, that house is really coming together :cool:!!!!!!! I don't blame you for having the exterior painted by someone else. I am NOT into painting but at least inside I can usually use stools, not ladders :eek:! Sounds like you're being quite creative yourself on those workout :D! I'm impressed you're getting so many in with all the extra work you've been doing at the house! I figured you'd like the new series ;). As for the painting, I'm hoping really hard to finish it this weekend. It is quite the chore to get all the usual stuff done plus move furniture, clean, tape, paint, etc :rolleyes:. But I can only devote about 8 hours total on the weekends to it, so it's seeming like a Hotel California project right now :p. Let's see - I did PS last week & probably will this week too. Once I get this blasted painting done, I'm anxious to hit S&H. But for now, I'm sticking w/ 40 - 45 min for my weight work so I can move on to ... you guessed it ... painting.

Looks like everyone is busy painting....yuck. At least I don't have any of that that I have to do anytime soon. Well, wait a minute there is still some trim work to finish, but I think I'll wait for the snow to come. hehe

I'm back from San Diego. But nobody here to play with. sigh Well, that is probably good, I might get some work done rather than play all day.

Hello,

so this Fri is my last day of work. Lots of emotions, but I think I'm ready for it. The school work is intense. We are taking a week off to go to WV for biking and relaxation. Then my son will be a senior in HS and starts on the 22nd. I start the following week.

Rhea, that tile work looks great! And Tracy, you sure are moving along nicely with your home. When do you think you might be done? Lita, still painting? Are you doing the whole house?

Gotta get going, just wanted to check in.

Rhea - I'm here :D! I came by yesterday and this morning but was all alone ;).

Melinda - I know this week must be bitter sweet but I'm sure you're also excited because you have so much to look forward to! Enjoy that vacation - you have definitely earned it :cool:! I'm sure you'll do just fine in school like you did before :)!

As for painting......thank God I am finally done other than some touch-up here or there! I just finished last weekend. I did 6 rooms, one stairway/hall and one hall/storage area. At the last minute I decided not to do the store room but honestly, no one sees it but me, so .... :p. I can guarantee if I ever switch careers it will not be to become a painter!

Wow, six rooms? Are you insane? No, just like the rest of us, rather do it ourselves, easier and get it done right. It always looks so nice when everything has a fresh coat of paint. At least we'll not have to paint for a couple of years!!

Rhea - Believe me, it almost cost what little sanity I had left :p! Worse was people at work asking me why it was taking me so long :mad:. Anyway, I'm not sure it's done right but at least it's done ;). I manage on making this job last for many years :D!

Hi babes! How are you doing as a free woman Melinda? I wish I was in your boat! I'd love to be able to be a student, intense training and all. :) I think that's 'cause I am trying to wear 3 hats at work--be a supervisor for 6, fill 2 positions and build up another part of the practice. :) As Lita said, I know you will do an awesome in school like you did before!!

Lita, that is a LOT of rooms to paint on your own!! You go girl!!! I've done that before, but over the course of a winter, one room at a time! Took me at least 5 winters! :p Your co-workers obviously haven't bothered to paint their own homes. :mad:

DH and I are hoping to move in in Oct. But I have to say I'm feeling a little overwhelmed--we have to pack everything and move at the end of it all! :D

Rhea, are you able to enjoy your home without looking around and saying, "I need to tile this!"? I imagine it will be quite a while before DH and I will say that. But I think we'll be able to pace ourselves much easier when it's at a stage where we can move in.

Finally bought a stability ball for work--dunno why I waited so long--and hope to do Upper Body Split from the LI series tomorrow.

Have an awesome week fit babes! Can't say my eating has been top notch lately....:rolleyes:

(((Tracy)))!!!! I know things are hectic now between the job and the construction :(. Just hang in there and do the best you can - and be kind to yourself :). Hitting a few speed bumps in the road when it comes to eating will happen now and again ;). Gosh - nothing like trying to conquer it all at work from the git-go :eek:! I'd definitely say you landed in there with both feet! Thanks for the support on the painting - I was really beginning to think I was somehow not getting how easy it should be or how long it should take :eek:.... It's a whole different ballgame talking to people who have actually done it :p!

Melinda - Hope you're enjoying that vacation :cool:! Can't believe you'll soon be in school! Bet you're getting nervous - and excited!

Rhea - You out there anywhere ;)????? How's the BFFM challenge going?

Tracy - In case you get here before I get back, Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!! I know it's not until Monday - but wanted to make sure I got here in time :D!

Hi!

Well, today it all sinks in, DH is at work and I'm here with no work and school hasn't started yet. The trip to WV was good. We biked 47 miles and hiked, broke it up between 3 days. We got home and felt so tired. We slept well, but kept saying "are you tired, I am" and came to the conclusion that we did more physically each day than we usually do.

So, Tracy, I am so happy you will be able to move. The fall always seems hectic, for me, it's been my kids' activities, but it always seems that is a time for a lot of hussle and bussle. Same with spring. Hang in there. I have a friend that is not moving, but is going to change careers too and she is overwhelmed. She was crying yesterday. She is a social worker who got into a program where if she took these classes then she could teach special needs kids in the HS at the city school. This is a huge challenge. Plus, she carries the insurance for her family, so has to keep her current job, part time of 20 hrs/week while beginning to teach this week, until Sept 4 when the other insurance can kick in. She said it's hard when you've had one job you know so well and feel confident and make a change at 52. If you've shed a few tears, it would not suprise me. It's a good stress reliever. I think it's my new passtime.

Lita, you have tackled more than we ever did at one time with painting. Did you do the ceilings, too? We need our kitchen painted, but decided to skip that for next year, probably in the spring. We did remove the boarder, I got some crazy idea about 10 years ago to put boarder on multiple rooms. I won't be doing that again! Went on a lot easier than it came off. We just about laughed at it and I thought "what was I thinking!"

Rhea, you have achieved so much with your home and job, you are a worker for sure. I don't think I'm as ambitious.

I was printing off the syllabus for the classes and my stomach started getting sick. I will be ok, it's always like this when I start a class. I am taking 10 credit hours, there's like 10 books for the classes, I am not kidding. I'm going to wait before I buy any, though.

Melinda - Welcome back :cool:! So glad you had a good - if tiring - trip :D! Boy that seems like a lot of books but then it's been years since I've been down that road. Yup - ceilings, too :rolleyes:.

Hello all! I'm here, just been busy with that challenge. I'm still going very strong in it. Have too, darn old body won't let go of its fat, it is too used to it!!! LOL Anyway, I'm loving doing STS again, even if I still hate all the plyo legs. I don't hate it as much as I used to since I'm probably twice as strong as I was before and I can even now do all the air jacks at the end. Isn't that sick? I couldn't believe that I did them so easily. And those are the end of the workout. I also finally did the one rep max for the exercises and may be regretting doing that tomorrow. None of my dumbell weights were below 20 lbs! Well, except the one exercise that I did not retest, but I know I should have done heavier weights since it was for static lunges and the nonstatic lunges were 22 lbs. I was tired, so I think I stuck with like 15 lb... I do like being strong though.

Hope ya'll doing well...oh, I'm right in the middle of all the fires too, lovely smoke. The chips fire is the closest as it is right across the lake from me. But it would have to either jump the lake or burn all the way around and over a couple of major roadways. I've never seen such bad smoke....sort of like heavy fog in the bay area. Not always that bad, but can get there.

Talk at 'cha later.

Rhea - Wow, girl, you are rocking :cool:!!!!!!!! I'm certainly never going to challenge you :eek:!!!!! Sorry about the fires - the smoke and ash and odor are definitely too yucky to have to deal with :mad:!

Wow, Rhea, you are doing super with STS. I was thinking about doing that again, been alternating between 4DS which I love, S&H and GS series, then biking/walking.

When we were in Yosemite last year they had that continuous fire burning and the smoke was not so great. I hope something changes for you soon as far as that is concerned.

Hot here, close to 90, but now it's low humidity, so really isn't bothering me. No A/C to have to use.

after our trip, I've been doing some wt work and then we're just biking/walking. I hurt my back cleaning my office last Saturday, it still hurts. I keep moving hoping it will get better. It is better than it was, but not back to normal. That of course, throws other muscles off, so my leg started hurting too and my neck hurt pretty bad one day. I should go get a massage or go to chiropractor, but just keep hoping I'll do something that will pop it back into place.

Have a good evening.

Hi babes! Before I forget, ahem:

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Lita,
Happy Birthday to you!!!! :D:D:D

Hope you have a truly awesome day!!!! Thank you for the anniversary wishes! No one in either my family or DH's family remembered! :p

You all are rocking the workouts!! As Lita said, I will not come up against you Rhea! I'm doing what I can, but don't think I'm keeping my strength up as I have in the past. But the fact that I am doing something makes me feel better in many ways. On Monday I will be power walking with a friend. I hope it doesn't do me in for the week! :p

Rhea, I hope those fires are contained soon! We have one going in Eastern WA that's been going on for a week. No smoke here, but bad over there. :(

Melinda, I love vacations where I'm active. Glad yours was good, if tiring! 10 books is alot--are they all under 100 pages? :D Thank you for saying what you did about my current job challenges. I really like where I am but I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment. (Just a lot on my plate, even more than what I previously mentioned.) And one of the people I supervise came to me today and said her mom is in ICU with COPD. Just like my mom last year. I went home and had a really good cry. :cool: Did you know that studies have found stress hormones in women's tears? That means it's all good. :D

Have a wonderful weekend fit babes, especially you Lita!!

(((Tracy))) - I am so sorry that brought back painful memories for you :(. But I would say with the new job, construction AND sad reminder, you were more than due for a good cry! You and I will have to start working out together and let Rhea and Melinda conquer the world :cool:! I am quite content w/ 3 strength workouts a week and walking. I can't believe I was so driven for so many years :eek:. Probably why my joints are a wreck now :rolleyes:! Thank you for the wishes, my friend!

Rhea - Did you really have to send the smoke this way :p????? Today's the worst we've had this summer. We've had the haze and occasional smell but today it's looming right over us...

Melinda - I am so sorry you hurt your back :(. Yes, affect one area and the rest of the body feels it needs to clamor for attention, too :rolleyes:. Take care!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.