Loving the neti-pot

pixiesis

Cathlete
Hello all. I just started using a neti-pot and I can't believe how much I love it. I knew about it before but for some reason didn't want to give it a chance. I've been using it to breathe better (no major sinus issues, but some stuffiness now and then), and it works very well for that. But I've had an added bonus: it really freshens my breath! I mean to the point that I don't even have morning breath! And if I eat onions or garlic the smell doesn't linger on my breath anymore. Isn't that cool? And it just makes me feel great--refreshed and invigorated.

I also love that this method doesn't involve drugs and is so gentle it can be used by anyone as often as they like. I'm now a true believer and I just want to spread the word, not only to those who are suffering with sinus problems. I think everyone can benefit from this--it's like a shower for your nasal passages! Anyone else out there just LOVE the neti-pot? Anyone wanting to try it but nervous about it?

Amy

Hi Amy - I got one last winter and love it! It helped a lot with the dry nose due to our woodstove...my pre-teen nephews also thought the cleansing process was pretty entertaining. ;)

I don't have the Neti-pot, I just have the bottle type one. I used it when I recently got a sinus infection. I may have to try the neti-pot now too!

I've used it for sinus headaches, and it does help a little. Not ALWAYS though (maybe my headaches are due to more than just sinuses). But I do like the way I feel after i use it, just so CLEAR.

how often do you use it? do you use the salts too?

I've used it for sinus headaches, and it does help a little. Not ALWAYS though (maybe my headaches are due to more than just sinuses). But I do like the way I feel after i use it, just so CLEAR.

how often do you use it? do you use the salts too?

Hi Chris,

I've been using it just about every day (I've forgotten a few times) and I use it with the saline packets it came with. I got the Walgreens brand package which included the pot and 30 saline packets. I've been using 1 packet/full pot per nostril, and do both nostrils each time. I've noticed that as I continue using it, the water seems to pour through much quicker and with a stronger stream, so it seems to me that you get more benefits if you use it regularly.

Amy

Hi Amy,

I've use the neti-pot for years now, love it. Did you know that it also keeps away colds and flu? Yep, the salt that we use kills those germs, (if you do it soon enough). Every time I come home from shopping or near people, I use it. Seems to work for me.

Janie

Hi Amy,

I've use the neti-pot for years now, love it. Did you know that it also keeps away colds and flu? Yep, the salt that we use kills those germs, (if you do it soon enough). Every time I come home from shopping or near people, I use it. Seems to work for me.

Janie

Hi Janie! Actually, I did read that, and it's so cool to hear from someone that it actually works.

Most drugs or treatments come with some kind of down-side, and what I just love about the neti-pot is that there is NO downside at all.

Amy

I used one for the first time yesterday morning. I felt like I was drowning! (obviously I need more practice :\). But yes, it is great for the sinuses, and I have a load of those problems. I have read, though, that you do not need to buy saline packages. Just sea salt will work fine. The salt is important, because regular water will irritated the passages more than room-temp (maybe slightly warm) saline water.

I need somebody to show me the proper way to do it, though!

Beyond the neti pot

I was using the neti pot but recently it hasn't been as effective for my hay fever/post nasal drip problems. So after doing a little online research some of the recommendations I found helpful were: pulsatile nasal irrigation, restricting dairy from my diet, and gargling with salt water.

Also, a nasal irrigator that's travel friendly is the Nasaline System.

Fay

Last edited:
Fidget Queen, if you are worried about your technique, you can probably find some good demos on youtube. My tip is to make sure your forehead is a bit higher than your nose. And there is that slight discomfort feeling of water going up your nasal passages, but for me it passes quickly and it's not a problem. I think it's very important for your comfort to make sure that the water is lukewarm/body temp (I'm sure you know this already).

Fitnessfay, I'm so glad you've found other techniques that work for you.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm just so thrilled that my breath is so super fresh now!

Amy

Last edited:
I used one for the first time yesterday morning. I felt like I was drowning! (obviously I need more practice :\). But yes, it is great for the sinuses, and I have a load of those problems. I have read, though, that you do not need to buy saline packages. Just sea salt will work fine. The salt is important, because regular water will irritated the passages more than room-temp (maybe slightly warm) saline water.

Hi Fidget Queen! I'm not sure if this is the same as the neti pot you have, but I found this on the internet. Check it out! HTH!

http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/NetiPot/NetiPotInstructions.aspx

Thank you for the tips! I'm going to watch that again right before I do it so that I can get the head tilt right. I think I have a hard time getting over the feeling of having water up my nose! I have to, though. I've heard that there are oils to use after the rinse to ease the dryness from climates like mine, but I haven't even ventured that far.

I love mine, too! I use it every day, sometimes several times a day if I've been exposed to one of my known allergens. It has helped immensely with my sinus issues and feels wonderful if I use it just as a sinus headache is starting to come on.

Shari

I don't have allergies, but I use it whenever I feel a cold coming on. I notice that I either don't get the cold, or the duration is shorter.

Regarding youtube, just don't use scotch in the netipot like some weirdo did.

Hi Chris,

I've been using it just about every day (I've forgotten a few times) and I use it with the saline packets it came with. I got the Walgreens brand package which included the pot and 30 saline packets. I've been using 1 packet/full pot per nostril, and do both nostrils each time. I've noticed that as I continue using it, the water seems to pour through much quicker and with a stronger stream, so it seems to me that you get more benefits if you use it regularly.

Amy

I really should use it regularly, then! Thanks for the feedback! Hey, I got mine at Walgreens too! :)

I've used a neti pot off an on, and while it helps, it also is problematic for me, because I always seem to get fluid in the passage that connects my ear to my sinuses, but only on the left side.

I used one for the first time yesterday morning. I felt like I was drowning! (obviously I need more practice :\).

Not seeing how you're doing it, it's hard to know what might be wrong, but try varying the tilt of your head. And make sure to breath through your mouth while you are doing the irrigation. (In fact, the breathing through the mouth thing might solve the whole 'drowning' problem).

Last edited:
I've used a neti pot off an on, and while it helps, it also is problematic for me, because I always seem to get fluid in the passage that connects my ear to my sinuses, but only on the left side.

I can see how that could happen. I wonder if there's a way you can tilt your head to avoid this? It's odd that it just happens on the one side.

Amy

I had my SO give me a demonstration on the thing last night. He's been doing it for years, but I didn't want anything to do with it until my doctor recommended it :p.

He said the best thing to avoid the water going up into the sinus cavity is to tuck your chin very much into the chest. Only then do you want to start tilting your head to the side, keeping it into the chest. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought it might help some of you. He said that as soon as you start lifting your chin, it goes into places you don't necessarily. But I do think we are all built differently, so I'll see if it works for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.