Loving Obagi!

hokypoky

Cathlete
Any Obagi users out there? I've been using it for 2 weeks for melasma (dark pigmentation) on my face, and not only have they lightened, but my skin is looking amazing!

It's an 18-week, very aggressive treatment my dermatologist recommended - she could see how bad the pigmentation has progressed even though I wear foundation and mineral powder. Even my husband kept commenting on how bad it is. The Obagi Nu Derm system is costly, yes, and you pair it with a retin-a r/x, but I was willing to try anything (except spending thousands on laser!).

I'd hoped that my Clarisonic would make a difference, but after 7 months there were no changes. This Obagi stuff, though, has already started giving me results. I have to deal with lots of peeling and redness, but it sort of comes and goes.

Not a rep or anything, just thought I'd share in case anyone else has skin with issues (wrinkling, spots, acne) that drives them crazy like me! :)

ReneePruitt said:
Thanks I need it! Do u think it may help with little lines around the mouth?

I've also used it and it really does work. You can barely see any darkness on my face and it's usually worse in summer.

Another thumbs up. :)

I have a friend who's using it and is seeing amazing changes. Another thing im storing in map bag of tricks for when I need it (like Latisse that I learned about in this forum).

Oh yeah Latisse! Definitely trying that one.

Some of the Obagi products need a prescription, I think. I'm pretty certain you can use it for wrinkles. I saw my derm at her regular clinical office then walked across the hall to the more spa-like skin care office to get the stuff. Every day is like losing weight and being down another pound LOL.

I love Obagi! I use the Nu Derm with hydroquinone for my melasma. That stuff is the best. I have never tried any of the other Obagi products, but the reviews on Skin Care Rx and Dermstore are always very complimentary.

I just started using Obagi too - right now I am using the blender w/a retin-a at night on my face. I have been using it for about two months now. To be honest, I am only seeing a little bit of a difference for my melasma. For those of you that are seeing the biggest differences, are you using it twice a day?

I only use the blender and Retin-A at night but are you using the Clear and the Exfoderm? The Clear is a bleaching cream and the Exfoderm is a smoothing cream but yowza, had some stinging at the beginning! I think the "smoothing" means smaller pores and tighter skin.

I'm doing steps 1-6 as prescribed ... I want maximum results after looking like I have perpetual sun peeling!

I don't know - I don't think I am because I have not heard of the Clear and Exfoderm - I did not know there were Steps 1-6? My doc just prescribed the blender to start with - maybe because I have sensitive skin? I had tried just straight hydroquinine at first (triluma or something like that) and it irritated the heck out of my skin. I think I will call and ask about the others and see what she thinks; thanks for the tip!

Here's what the travel size 6-step kit looks like. Though it's sold out here, it gives you an idea of what's in it. I'll probably have to buy more toner - seem to be using that up the fastest - but I've seen places on the web selling some of the products at decent prices. Although .... my dr's price was the same as the one on Overstock.

My skin is not sensitive (though you wouldn't guess that right now!) and it is a pretty aggressive treatment. I've heard about people backing off, using less or skipping days, if the peeling and redness was too much for them.

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Bea...arter-Set/3897439/product.html#product-detail

Hydroquinone

I've noticed a couple of threads touting hydroquinone, and I feel compelled to mention the dangers.
I went to my dermatologist regarding my melasma and was given a script for hydroquinone. I went home and did some research, and this stuff is definitely questionable. It has been banned in Europe as a known carcinogen, and there is a proposed ban in the US for numerous reasons. I chose not to use it.
Here is an article about some of the possible side effects:
Breaking News: Medical Report Details The Increasing Risks of Hydroquinone in Skincare | Envymedical's Blog

I started Obagi in March and LOVE it! It is changing my skin in amazing ways! :) I also started with the Travel Kit and used all 6 steps with Tazorac as my RetinA product. I have tough skin so I've switched back to SkinCeuticals LHA Cleanser and Toner (more aggressive then the Obagi) as well as a SkinCeuticals Vitamin C serum. I also do a pigmentation peel every 6-8 weeks with dermaplaning. I have FINALLY, at age 40, found the program for my skin. I can't remember the last blemish I've had , after breaking out regularly since age 12 and the pigmentation improvement is amazing. I live in SC and usually by March I have marked mustache, and mask on the left side of my face. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have porcelain , ivory skin now, but I couldn't be happier with the difference in texture, pore size and pigmentation . I actually think I will save money in the long run because I'm not chasing the solution anymore and buying tons of new products.

Hydroquinone

I've noticed a couple of threads touting hydroquinone, and I feel compelled to mention the dangers.
I went to my dermatologist regarding my melasma and was given a script for hydroquinone. I went home and did some research, and this stuff is definitely questionable. It has been banned in Europe as a known carcinogen, and there is a proposed ban in the US for numerous reasons. I chose not to use it.
Here is an article about some of the possible side effects:
Breaking News: Medical Report Details The Increasing Risks of Hydroquinone in Skincare | Envymedical's Blog

Yes, any product containing more than 2% hydroquinone is banned in Europe.
It is harmful...It is a no no for me!:eek:

I use the entire system and I love it. Really softens lines and dark spots. There is a period of adjustment, and you'll likely see peeling/flaking. It goes away after a while. I plan on using this for a VERY long time!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.