Love Cathe but hate the knee pain

miosy

Okay, I love her workouts. I recently starting doing KPC. This was tough on my knees. I workout in the basement with padded carpet tiles but it still hurts. So, I bought a interlocking mat. My knees feel better but I still feel some pain as if something is not absorbing the shock.

I did kickboxing at the gym with no knee pain at all and it was high impact.

I don't want to stop working out and sometimes I ignore the pain but I spent two days of not working out waiting for the pain to go away.

Any advice pleazzzzzz :)

Thanks

Do upper body on the days your knees are in pain, that's what I do. After 3 or 4 days of cardio, leg work and stuff, I need a break, so I do PUB or all the upper body from the Timesavers, or that Jillybean workout from SS/PP where you do many sets of everything. Or CST/BBA or the Slow and Heavies.

You could also swim or do aqua aerobics, but I hate the pool, so I never do. I also have an indoor bike I ride on sore knee days. I did that yesterday.

Put down a new floor in your exercise area, or change where you workout. I'm sure the floor at your gym was more resiliant than the "carpet over cement" in your basement.

A second layer of puzzle mats (if you can find a way to keep them from shifting) might help.

Otherwise, make the workout low impact. The beauty of kickboxing is that you can get a very intense workout with no impact by doing powerful kicks and punches (something Cathe doesn't seem to get). If you use a bit of imagination, every move that is high impact can be made low impact (like "runs" can be power knee smashes). OR, if your basement has a high enough ceiling, get a rebounder and do the higher impact moves on that. Your knees will thank you for it!

Also, evaluate your shoes. The wrong shoes send my knees into aching.

I just decided that the shoes I was using for indoor aerobics did not stabilize enough so I moved them to my running rotation and bought a new pair of shoes for indoor aerobics.

It took about 5 days but my knees are back to pain-free.

Sometimes little things create our problems.

Michelle

They make inserts (Dr. Scholls has them) that are specifically for hi-impact exercise. They're supposed to help knee pain, although I've never tried them. Also, you might want to do some exercises that strengthen your knees. Floorwork helps me a lot!

Thanks for the advice. I bought new sneakers this past weekend it did help. I'm going to also try doubling the mat and the sneaker insoles.

Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.