Lost 100 pounds and want to start weight training

LucyH

Cathlete
I am new to this form but have seen Cathe on TV - she's awesome! Which DVD would be best to start with weights? Here are my goals: since I lost so much weight I have tons of loose skin just hanging all over my body (YUCK) so I want to do what I can to remedy this! It's worst on my upper arms, abdomen and thighs. I have to say that loose skin is much better than 100 pounds of fat, but I still want to get rid of it or at least improve the situation before considering plastic surgery. Sooooo...... what suggestions to some of you have for me? Thanks so much in advance!!

IndyMom:)

If you're just getting started I'd recommend her Pure Strength series. It's a bit dated in appearance but it offers good form pointers and explanations of moves. With weight training you just start with a light weight and progress when it starts getting too easy. This set does use a barbell but you can do it all with dumbells which is what I did for years before I finally got my barbell...which was a great purchase by the way!

I'm on your heels with 85lbs but have been strength training three quarters of that way thought it. My arms have resolved themselves, my legs have a way to go, and my abs are the most affected with that pouch of skin. Before starting out with Cathe, I actually started out with Kathy Smith's project you, which eased with me with lighter weights into using Cathe. I have 4DS, Cardio and Weights, and Muscle Max. I've used a mix of these for strength training. Recently, I used the 1st Barry's Bootcamp. Although I dropped an extra few pounds, it didn't help with the toning aspect, and my body got a little wobbly. The point of this is that I went back to training with 4DS and the results are great. I think that if you're starting out, 4DS's weights segements would be helpful in toning it all up and you should go lighter on the weights and build up from there. I'm also going to be purchasing Gym Styles Series and incorporate that into the workout. As the weights get easier, keep increasing them, because that is where I've seen the best results. I had extra skin in the back and that is all nice and tight. I don't think you can wrong with any of the Cathe stuff. Just make sure you use a weight that you're comfortable with and give yourself enough time between workouts to recover, especially if you're just starting to do weights. The soreness...ah the soreness. It's all good. Congrats and good luck!!!!!

Rita

Way to go on the loss IndyMom! I also recommend MuscleMax. It is a great comprehensive workout. When you are ready for splits, check out the Gym Styles.

Have you thought about the new STS series? I think it will be greta and is geared for all fitness levels!

BTW, I'm just a little north of you and Fit, in Kokomo! In fact, I head to Carmel most Mondays!:7

Terri

>Way to go on the loss IndyMom! I also recommend MuscleMax.
>It is a great comprehensive workout. When you are ready for
>splits, check out the Gym Styles.
>
>Have you thought about the new STS series? I think it will be
>greta and is geared for all fitness levels!
>
>BTW, I'm just a little north of you and Fit, in Kokomo! In
>fact, I head to Carmel most Mondays!:7
>
>Terri

I have a habit of always recommending the 3-day split Gym Style series because those 3 dvds were the one's I started with. However, I did light weights with The Firm, which is much like MM, for six months before that so I have to agree with Terri here. If you can swing it, though, I recommend you buy MM, GSL, GSCT, GSBSB all at once. Not just because you'll save on shipping but because you'll grow out of the light weights that MM uses pretty quickly and you don't want to keep doing MM if you're ready for bigger challenges and you want results you can see. I stuck with light weights for waaaay too long and don't recommend that for anyone wanting to make progress. Hope this helps.

Hi Neighbor! STS looks very cool. I think I want to get Muscle Max and Gy Styles,too. Thanks!

Wendy, Thanks! Your ideas make a lot of sense. I don't want to get discouraged too quickly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.