Losing baby belly

dawn2dawn

Hi, newcomer here! I was told to come into this forum for my question because there are some "great fit moms" over here. I just had my 3rd child (Feb. 16 - my first boy!) and I have started to workout again. Actually I've been working out for about 1 1/2 months. I'm having trouble losing around the waistline. I can see improvements everywhere else but there. I know it's the hardest spot to lose (especially for us mothers) but I was wondering if anyone had some great advice to give. Perhaps some workouts to do. I don't have access to a gym or equipment and it's hard to get out and run because of my newborn and I also have a 2 year old at home. I live in the country so I can't jog in the neighborhood. It's just me, Cathe, and my weights! Any advice out there. Thanks in advance...I'm new to the whole forum thing so please help my out with abbreviations!
dawn2dawn:

Hi Dawn welcome!
Yes there are some great gals over here. You'll get lots of different insights and then you'll find what works for you;-)
I gained 45 pounds with my first, that's a lot of weight for a tiny person like me. I lost it all and the belly in 5-6 months. For me and what I think for the belly is lots of cardio. Weights are a great workout too of course, but for belly I believe cardio, do lots of it til it's gone. I also did core after (situps, pilates) there's a great core workout on the Basic Step dvd. I used it religiously after different cardio dvd's and it worked fast. I was smaller by the time Hannah was 7 months than I was pre preg AND I became prego with #2 in her 7th month and didn't put on anything til 3 months.
Hope that helps. As soon as I have #2, I'll be a cardio junkie to get back into shape, especially the jelly belly right away:7
Once you find something that works, let us know what did it for you;-)
Best of luck!

Thanks so much. That definately helps. I don't have the basic step workout but I will get it! With my first I gained over 50 lbs, my second I gained over 40 and this last one I gained over 30. My husband tells me all the time he can see a change. I guess I'm being to hard on myself but knowing how I was before I became pregnant makes me hard on myself. It's frustrating when you can't fit into any clothes but you don't want to spend a ton of money on some that won't fit in a few months. And with me being a stay at home mom, I can't afford to do that. I might come back every once in a while for a little motivation girls.....so keep looking for me!!!!
Thanks again for the response!

Hi and congrats. Come join us on the postpartum check in. First, if you don't own a step get one. Cathe videos are great for cardio/weights and ab toning. You may also want to try turbo jam or tae bo, both great for abs. First of all, with #1 I held onto some of the mommy pooch while nursing as soon as she was weaned, the mommy tummy was gone. If you are nursing this may be the case. Also, be patient, you are trying to regain your figure after a 9 month pregnancy and have had 2 other pregnancies. My other piece of advice is to start getting your 2 year old involved in the workouts if you can't exercise when she naps. I do most of my workouts with my 2.9 year old and plan to put my newborn in the swing while I exercise. I used to put dd#1 in the swing while I worked out, and it worked. even if you start and stop workoutsto nurse/change diapers etc. , they are still effective. If you are looking for new workouts, check out collage.com.

DD #1 born 9/12/03
DD #2 born 5/19/06

Hi Dawn,

I don't know what level of belly trouble you're having, but I'll tell you what is working for me. I got a book & DVD called "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler. She focuses on getting your abs & pelvic floor back to (or better than!) pre-pregnancy. She also explains how 90+ % of us have a diastasis - which is a separation of the outermost abdominal muscles. This separation doesn't close for most moms after the baby, and causes the mummy tummy. Her technique teaches you how to close the separation and firms/flattens the belly. (It also helps relieve back pain). This technique works no matter how long ago you had your baby. (You can do them right after giving birth, in fact.)

I have a 3 1/2 year old and 16 month old twins. I didn't start using the technique until this week (after a few stops and starts), and believe it or not - I feel a difference. My pants feel better because I'm focusing on the area where they were tight!! I don't see the results yet, but I feel better for making the effort! (When you're dealing with twin skin, that's saying something.)

I will say that cardio seems to be the main ingredient to losing the belly, but this technique could help as well.

Good luck!

P.S. Julie's website is: www.maternalfitness.com

Tricia

Hi, I know what stopping to feed and then stopping to burp and then stopping one more time to change a diaper is all about. Let's not forget stopping to get the two year old some juice or change the dvd out. I had always wondered if my workout would still be effective doing this so thank you so much for answering my question! I won't mind so much now doing that. It just seems like everyone is happy UNTIL mommy wants to do for herself!!
Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.