Looking for an x-small heart rate monitor

Kit_

Cathlete
My old heart rate monitor died this morning and it doesn't look like its going to revived anytime soon. I've had it for over 10 years and the company who makes it is no longer in buisness. So I'm looking for a new heart rate monitor, an x-small adult or a childs. My wrist is excatly 5 inches around, and the top where you'd wear a watch face is only is less then 2 and a 1/4 inch. So the standard heart rate monitor watch will not work for me. If it transmits directly from the wrist and not the strap you wear around your chest. I really do prefer one that only straps on in one place. Also the bigger the watch the more I catch it and it takes a beating.

So anyone know of an x-small watch only monitor, finger or even a hand monitor? I wear a size 3 ring so think 8 to 10 year old female girl size, if your thining of a watch, finger or hand monitor, my 8 year old niece has nearly the same size hands I do, just my fingers are longer. I've went threw all my books and as well as what the gym as here, and even the ones with the strap around the chest and then it display on the watch you wear on your wrist, the watch is absolutely *huge* there is at least 1/4 of that hangs off each side of my wrist. It reminds me of when I was 3 and stoled my father's watch and wore it, has about the same look. I want something that looks a bit more professinal.

Also anyone have a polar A5? And could tell me how big the face of that one is? The is one of them we don't have here, so I'm crossing my fingers that it might be small enough for me.

Thanks,

Kit

Kit-

I recently bought the Polar A5. It has a watch AND the chest strap. I love it, but the watch is pretty big. I am not a small as you, and even I think the watch is too big and bulky. I'm sure it's not any bigger than your average Timex Indiglo (which I also love), but for working out, I wish it were smaller.

Gayle

I have the A5 too. It is not very aesthetic to tell you the truth. But I guess they're not meant to be. It is still a little on the bulky side,(I have a medium size wrist) but I love wearing ALL my watches that way. Sometimes I even buy a man's watch.

Anyway, it was pretty dependable but the warranty was for a year & the battery definitely pooped 2-3 months before the year was up. I don't know if that means it sucks or if I put it to work too much. Anyway, it's somewhere in NJ getting a new battery, so hopefully I'll have it back soon & I can see what kind of damage Cahe's HC series has done caloriewise!!!

Marla

Thanks for the info, I was wondering just how big that A5 was, and it sounds like it's as big as the A3, and depending on the band it has, if it's like the A3 I can't even add a hole where I need to wear it, as where I have it, it's triple reinforced or something, as a normal watch punch won't go threw it, so I guess I need a power drill to make a hole and I'm not sure if those watches would stand up to that type of vibration, if I did that. I'd hate to do all that work and then kill the watch. Any one want little tiny hands and wrists? I'm willing to trade mine.

I've been asking around and have been told Timex actually makes a line of heat rate monitor watches that are made for smaller wrists. I've been able to find two so far listed on the next and they don't look bad, but I don't think they do near what the Polar's do. But then I just need mine for work, as most of the time, I gear my clients workouts toward my own heart rate, for beginners I usuelly stay some where between 55 - 60% of my max, and then move it up to 65 - 75% of my max for intermediates, and then for advance I stay in the 75 - 80% catogory with them.

Now I know another video to recommend to Cathe, a wrist and hand workout that will actually buff up those muscles. Though I'm not sure if it would help me or not, as when I flex my hand, the muscles in my fingers already stand up from being well exercised. But I'd love to gain a bit of mass in both my wrist and fingers. As that is the first place I lose when we go from fall to winter and it turns cold and I drop about 3 pounds until my body gets use to it. It shows up the most in my wrist and hands. And this winter I haven't even gain my 1/4 of an inch back in my wrist, that I usually have.

Thank you for letting me know about the A5, that is a really neat watch, I just wish it was a bit smaller. Also if you go to the Polar web site you'll see their new watches and they are starting to make them look better. There is one that looks like decent man's watch, wit the gold and silver face, you'd normally picture those with a nice gold and silver link band. I'm not sure what type of band it comes with as the picture didn't who it, but it was one of the nices ones I've seen.

Kit

I have a size 4 ring and a 6" wrist - I'm not as small as you but I bought the Polar A5 at our local sporting goods store and it was too big for me. I returned it and ordered a Timex model that is suppose to be for small wrist. I tried it on and it seems to be okay. I haven't used it yet though as I'm still recouping from a hysterectomy. I found out later that Target has the Timex heart rate monitors (although I don't know if it's the same model or not). When I went onto their website (Timex), I e-mailed customer service to find out which models were for small wrists (and that also had the calories burned).

Good luck. Rachelle

Thank you Racheelle, that helps a lot I guess it's Timex for me then. When I looked at the A3 in the store here, it hung over both sice of my wrist, so it looked like I was wearing one of those clown watches. And I was praying the the F5 wouldn't be like that as the F4 is suppose to before small wrists, just I really didn't like the look of that one. Anyway that helped a lot.

Kit

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.