LONG rant - Brother is getting a dog and he SHOULDN'T!!

princessbear

Cathlete
Hi everyone - just needed to vent. My brother and his family (wife and two kids) are adopting a cane corso mastiff. I just looked this dog up on the "net" ... NOT a good dog for them. Actually, NO dog is good for them as they are so self-centered and don't have what it takes to care for a dog. Let me explain...

About 15 years ago, when it was just my brother and his wife, they got a Rottweiler. Very sweet dog, sent him to doggie school and paid attention to him - he was their baby... until they HAD a baby. Then the dog was sent to the pen outside and ignore, neglected and not loved. Poor Braden spent years in that pen, with only me coming to walk him and clean out the poop. I was debating whether or not to call the Humane Society and report them, but it was my brother. There was a woman in Vermont who wanted to adopt Braden but my brother said he thought it would be cruel to send him to a strangers (um, where he would have love, room to run (not that he was able to run much, his hips were bad i his older age due to lack of exercise), and ATTENTION). He just couldn't see that what he was doing to the dog was cruel and inhumane. In any event, Braden did eventually pass, from old age, cancer, and I'm sure neglect.

So, now my mother tells me they are getting another dog - this time a cane corso mastiff - not a "family" dog by any means. Let's not mention the fact that the family doesn't have a "pot to piss in", he owes my mother $12,000, and they are on the verge of losing their house.... I feel like I want to say something to him (although I just saw on his Facebook page that it is too late to stop it - they picked him up yesterday)... like maybe warn him that if I see one inkling of neglect I will not hesitate to call the Humane Society and report it... I am so INFURIATED by his decision ... I know it is really none of my business, but when it comes to animals, I value them above some humans and take the responsibility of their care very seriously...

Okay, I feel better ranting ... any advice from any of you?

I don't have much advice but wanted to let you know i can relate b/c your brother sounds exactly like my brother. I'm a HUGE animal lover so i can see where you are coming from. Do you think that mabe since they kids aren't so new anymore that they will take better care of this dog? Theres not much you can do in this situation which sucks. I'm sorry. I think if it were me and down the road the dog ends up like their last one, i would make an annonymous call to the humane society and report him even if he's your brother. Its not fair for the dog. Good luck.

I feel so sorry for poor Braden and the dog they are bringing into their home now. I know he's family, but can you really just sit by and know that they will abuse and neglect another helpless animal? I couldn't.

I would confront him and make sure he understood that if they do what they did to Braden, I'd either turn them in or they can give the dog to me! I couldn't watch that poor dog going through that all his life!

You're right - it's too late to stop him, since I just found out on Friday from mom that they PLANNED on getting a dog - then I found out this morning on his Facebook page that he GOT the dog...so all I can do is warn him. There are many forms of abuse and while Braden wasn't physically abused, he was ignored and neglected which is a form of abuse. Unfortunately I can't have dogs in my condo complex, but I will warn him that if I see any signs of neglect then I will report him.

Good luck! I'm hoping for the best that maybe they've changed and will be more attentive and loving of the dog! One can hope, right? I wish I could take him, if necessary, but I already have 2 beagles and cat and a very small house!

Wish you the best!

You say it is none of your business, but really, it is. The poor dog will not have anybody but possibly you to look out for its welfare and if I were you, I would make it my business to do just that. Your brother and his family need to get their priorities straight, it sounds like, and I hope that they do just that and can integrate the dog into their family, rather than relegate it to a pen, but if it doesn't work, then please step in. I would think you would feel much better about that than saying nothing. Clearly, you are an animal lover and I understand the possible conflict since it is a family member and wish you all the very best in finding the best way to deal with the situation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.