Long or Short (hair that is!)

>I've had short hair for years and was thinking of growing it
>long so I could have one last shot at long hair before I am 40.

LOL! I know what you mean! Before I turned 40 (8 years ago--now THAT's scary!), I decided I wanted to grow my hair long (maybe it's a female manifestation of the mid-life crisis?). I got it about half-way down my back before I decided to go shorter again. After it gets to a certain length, it's good for making up-dos and such, but having it just hang often makes my face look too long, and I lose some of the body because of the length). (I guess I envisioned having waist-length hair when I was in my 70's and 80's, like my grandmother, and wrapping it in a braid around my head at night!).

I've had everything from mid-back to pretty short (too short is not flattering either). I've discovere the most flattering length for me is about shoulder length, BUT there's not a lot you can do with it, especially if there are layers, because it won't all fit up in a bun or clip or ponytail (for working out).

Right now, my hair is a little longer than shoulder length (think recent Jacklyn Smith do's). It's just long enough to put up in a bun when I work out (held up by a headband wrapped several times around) and since I'm into minimalistic morning prep and don't "style" my hair, I can refresh it the day after sleeping on it by putting it back up in that bun for 20 minutes or so while I get ready in the morning and voilà, instant body !

I think the most manageable length for working out is very short (or bald, like A=jock!), with second place going to longer than shoulder length. Between the two, I'd go with whatever looks better. I find that while I might look o.k. with shorter hair, I look younger, and my face looks softer, with longer hair (but not too long, which also is aging).

I used to have long hair as a teenager, then had it cut to shoulder length to do a show, then from there I just kept getting it cut shorter and shorter. Now I have very very short hair, about an inch long, and I love it! I just had it cut this short about 6 months ago and have gotten so many compliments on it! I just love being able to "wash and go", and I love the freedom when I work out. I tell people that, quite frankly, I just don't like having hair all that much!:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.