Liver Function Test Question

atremo11

Cathlete
Hello again! It has been forever since I have had a chance to post, but I had a question, and thought maybe someone could help.
I went for my annual exam and they drew blood...Anyway the lab called and said one of my liver function test (they didn't say which one, and they are calling me back tomorrow) was elevated...So that go me to thinking, what is wrong with me...I am healthy, run, have no history of health problems....then I saw a link where weight training in combination with vigorous exercise could trigger a high LFT. I like to run sprints and try to run around 3 miles four times a week and alternate heavy weights when I can...The day before my appt. I worked out hard...yet again I saw where enzymes can be elevated for up to a week after this. They told me to go back for another test in 2 months, and I am going to ask them about this when they call me back tomorrow, but if the training causes the abnormal reading, then won't the next one 'read' elevated also?
Okay now I am rambling and I appreciate any help!
Mandy

Hi Mandy - DH had this. He does NOT work out! They never knew what caused it and it went away after a few months. He just got tested every month or so. His were quite high but are now normal for several years. Not sure that helps you any, but will hope that you get the same news :) It seems like they did some sort of detailed testing with his bloodwork and I think he had to fast for that - it's been 6 years so I don't remember the exact details.

This happened to my dad some years ago. His company insisted on rigorous health care and testing for its executives and he was hauled off to hospital for more extensive tests after abnormal liver test results. There, a consultant pronounced to a crew of student doctors, who were busy diagnosing all manner of hideous illnesses for my dad, that the reason his tests gave abnormal readings and his liver was slightly enlarged was because he had played regular soccer and had been a runner all his life. So, you are right, rigorous exercise has an effect upon the liver, enhancing its function, not destroying it.

I am sure that even after you go for repeat testing, an astute doctor worth her salt will correctly identify your readings as a direct result of your fantastically healthy lifestyle.

In the meantime, carry on being healthy and don't worry about something you cannot control.

Clare

You know when the lab called I was sitting in the pick-up line to get my son and they tell me that my LFT was elevated....First reaction was horror..I thought what is wrong with me! Then I thought about every single medicine that has been prescribed (for cramps, after childbirth, etc) couldn't think of anything. Then I saw that training could have caused the elevated enzyme. You know I am going to keep running and lifting...It is my only 'me' time! Who knew....that exercising could require 'additional' testing?!? My insurance is going to LOVE this one!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.