LIS or XTRAIN?

bzbnmom

Cathlete
So many new DVDs!!! Ok, I've not been exercising for almost 2 years. Been clean eating for the past year (except for Dec and Jan) and have decided to get back into exercising. I started last week and ... wow, I really need to get back my endurance ... and I am motivated!

In the near future, I'd like to get a bundle set (my first). Would either LIS or XTRAIN be appropriate for me in a month or two? Is one more advanced than the other?

I love the idea of the XTRAIN 90-day rotation, having never done anything like it before, and I *really* like the timesaver options. I'm thinking I could start with shorter options and work up to longer ones? It looks so advanced, though.

LIS looks a little gentler? But not much weight work?

I especially enjoyed moderate-heavy weight work; never mastered the IMAXs or HiiT. My favorites in the past were Gym Styles, Step Blast, BM2, KPC, 4DS. My least favorites were circuits and total body weight workouts.

Do you think either one would work for me right now, or should I wait? LOL or buy one now AND the other later?

BTW, I am 48 and would like to lose about 20 lbs (and sleep better and have more energy and feel stronger...). Thanks for any advice.

Hi bzbnmom!

I'm fairly new to Cathe (Oct 2012) and had been away from working out for a bit. I have both LIS and Xtrain bundles. I love them both but I think LIS is a better way to ease back into exercising. It's got everything from weight work to cardio to yoga. I agree about the weight work and actually bought High Reps along with my LIS bundle. It's one of my favorite discs!

However I got Xtrain in Jan and was afraid to try any of the workouts because I thought they would be too hard. In the past week, I've done a handful of them and they're really great.

I guess bottom line is you really can't go wrong with either of them but I would vote for LIS this time. Also, you may want to wait until it's a Deal of the Day (LIS) as you can save some $$. Xtrain is too new to be a DOD (I haven't seen it sold that way).

Good luck!
TmJ

Both are great! Xtain has more impact but very fun. I like xtrain better myself only because of the music! Lol i know sounds terrible but really LIS would be fun if it had a great soundtrack. Imo of course alot of people dont care one way or the other but lis has instermental music xtrain has top 40 .. And instermental on weights but it is music i am familiar with, she put in oldie songs u may recognize! Like guns n roses, zz top rod stewart ! O i love it id have loved better to her the voice but i understand weight lifting is better that way and at least i could sing in my mind. The rest of the songs are so upbeat top 40 so fun!
The workouts are onderful for xtrain to HS is my fav and never thought id like boxing infused wo! It is alot of jumping jackks but i liked it ! As far as being new i think either series can be adapted to to u. Maybe u can take more brakes for a few seconds then hop right back at it. The weight wo in xtrain is wonderful vary adaptable to ur current fitness level.

Last edited:
XTrain times 1,000! I actually find it is milder in many ways than LIS and better for my back. The only one I have not done is Tabatacize yet, that one just may be too much for me right now. And the music is so good on XTrain.

TmJ - Would a whole bundle package go on sale as Deal of the Day? That would be nice!

Renee - I am so with you on the music! It is just one of the reasons I want new DVDs. I get *really* tired of techno instrumentals played over and over. I have even played my music over the heavier weight wo. I love Nickelback for that! I wonder how using your own music would work with cardio? - LIS has a no music option - I think I would get messed up if the beat was off. That might be a good topic for a new post.

Do you use the boxing gloves for HS? Do you think they're a must-have?

Thanks ladies,
Mary

TmJ - Would a whole bundle package go on sale as Deal of the Day? That would be nice!

Renee - I am so with you on the music! It is just one of the reasons I want new DVDs. I get *really* tired of techno instrumentals played over and over. I have even played my music over the heavier weight wo. I love Nickelback for that! I wonder how using your own music would work with cardio? - LIS has a no music option - I think I would get messed up if the beat was off. That might be a good topic for a new post.

Do you use the boxing gloves for HS? Do you think they're a must-have?

Thanks ladies,
Mary

Boxing gloves are definitely not a "must". But they sure are fun. You can do the moves without them just like any other kick box dvd.

Oh i love nickleback! Nice choice..
I agree also with the above poster, i really think xtrain is easier on the body except the tabata that one is hard! I did only two tabatas and i add on the prmix of step segment to try n build up. HS people said was to high impact but i love it and i have to be carefull i get pf ! Plus i have lower back issues and it doesnt hurt my back..it is jumping jacks but just when i think ok no more she slows down to punches.
What does bother my back, and i tjink cause of weak abbs is a move at the end of supercuts. But its just kinda sore like DOMS. So it is a hard choice i think. Ooo bty xtrain has no barbell! That i love, cause barbells hurt my back. Also wanted to say the 90 day rotation feels perfect because it gives u days u only do a 35 minute wo and seems more easier then rotations i try to do. I realize i was being to hard on my body. I would however add one more cardio day lol

Last edited:
I have both and if I had to purchase again, I'd pick and choose from both sets as I think LIS is light on the weights, but I enjoy the cardio more from LIS.

My favs from each:

LIS
--Athletic Training
--Afterburn
--Cardio Supersets
--TurboBarre

XTrain
--Burn Sets
--Low Impact HiiT
--Supercuts
--Cardio Leg Blast

I've been doing my own rotation using these workouts and seeing some great results!

Stacy,
Humm that looks like a good rotation ! Id pick all of these also but add Hardstrikes to. Can u share gow u put this in a rotation?

I generally followed this plan, taking a rest day when I felt my body needed it. Oftentimes I would only workout 5 days a week (I'd drop one of the cardio workouts when I did that)

--"Circuit" (Athletic Training or Supecuts, CF or TTM when I had extra energy) + abs

--Cardio (Supersets, Afterburn or Low Impact HiiT)

--Burn Sets UB Ch/Ba/Sh + abs

--Cardio (same as the cardio choices above or would also do whatever cardio I liked to give me more freedom of options)

--Cardio Leg Blast (on alternate weeks I would sometimes sub XTrain Legs or the lower body portion from Turbo Barre, or the Lower Body Extreme Premix from Athletic Training...my knee is kinda tweaky so I let my body dictate what leg workout felt right that day)

--Burn Sets UB Bi/Tri + abs

That looks great! So doo you feel this helped the joints? Did u lose any weight ? More definition?
Thanks for taking the time to write that!

After about 5 weeks, I had less jiggle to my lower half (I'm more pear-shaped), better definition in my arms and abs. I didnt measure inches but my pants were looser in the waist and butt. I didnt change my diet at all, which wasnt the best honestly. I was a bit surprised that I lost only 1 lb but the changes in the mirror were more dramatic than what the scale showed. I definitely increased my strength with Burn Sets as well.

bzbnmom,

Yes! They do DOD on the bundles. The LIS bundle was on last on 2/12 for $99.97 and you can use the coupons and you get free shipping for being over $50. I know it's hard to wait but it's a huge savings. I also bought the Hardcore bundle and Shock cardio as DODs. I just can't seem to resist the DODs!! :)

Xtrain is too new to be a DOD. I haven't seen either To the Max or CrossFire as DOD either.

Let us know what you decide!!

TmJ

Just adding my opinion: I like LIS, but I absolutely LOVE XTrain! I'm doing the 90-day-rotation now, and I look forward to each day's workout.

I vote LIS
I like the leg work and cardio more and it has more pushups than xtrain.since xtrain is so limited on pushups i am going to add them in as a xrep challenge.

Laura

Wow, i wonder if we r making it even more difficult for u to choose? Lol

Yes absolutely difficult! LOL Both sets look great and I'm sure they are.

XTrain: Do I *need* all those heavy weight wo's? No, I but I have to have Burn Sets! Super Cuts, Hard Strikes, and Low Impact HiiT look great.

LIS: I won't use Cycle Max, and not sure about Yoga, but Turbo Barre and the cardio DVD's look awesome. But I'm wondering if the Slide & Glide discs are hard to manage?

I think I'm leaning towards XTrain. I'd like to do the 90-day rotation, I'm gonna love the music, and there is a 90-day rotation for XTrain/LIS as a future option. In any case, I'll probably want LIS later.

I've spent a lot of time looking at these the past few days and I appreciate all the comments. And now...I'm off to do a workout...

I dont do Slide N Gilde, I have discs but find they are hard to move on my berber carpet and they also tweak my knee a bit. That said, I dont find that any of my workouts lack any intensity without them. For the other workouts that use them, it's only one or two exercises and I find I can modify easily.

I was watching the little Slide & Glide WO preview, and thinking that many of the exercises could be modified so as not to have to use the discs. Do you find this to be true with most of the videos that use the discs? Are there some DVD's (from all the series) that you think the discs would be necessary?

Same with the Fire Walker bands. Couldn't I just use my old tied-up band?

Oh yes, the tubing with the handles too. Can I use a band for that? Actually, I have some tubing without handles from some Physical Therapy a few years ago. Do I need the handles?

I'd rather buy more DVD's than more equipment, but then again I'd want a smooth workout without much inconvenience.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.