Lifting the same and more then when I was young, Good? or Injury for the future?

Hi Cathe, Next month I will be turning 65 and have been doing the STS program off and on since it came out 12 years ago. I noticed from my workbook I am lifting heavier now then when I started it and I was in tip top shape back then. Although I am lifting heavier, I do struggle and I find it to be extremely hard. I was wondering when" you" turn 65 will you expect to be lifting as heavy as when you produced it or at some point as we age should we lighten up and not be so hard on ourselves and our body? I have followed you forever and you never seem to age or let up on your routines. My family says I am being too hard on my body but I want to be the best I can be, should I lighten up at this stage? Do we have to?

Obviously I'm not Cathe but I must say I don't listen to naysayers. I'm almost 50 (which I still don't think is that old) and people say to me you shouldn't lift that much, you are getting older so you can't . . . Tell me what I can't do and I'll do it! I think as we age we may have to make concessions/adjustments due to injuries etc but other than that I don't think you have to slow down, go easier on yourself or any such thing just because you are older. I do what I need to do to stay happy and fit and if that means lifting heavier weights or sucking wind during a HIIT workout, that is what I will do. Age has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for your wonderful reply, you speak just as I feel. And now with all that is going on I am so thankful I can still workout and relieve the stress from all that's going on in the world. I still am a few weeks away from turning 65 and have only increased in strength and endurance and am not letting anyone deter me from what I love the most, which is doing Cathe Live and all of her DVD's. Oh and of course sucking wind when its HIIT day. But loving it!

I will lift and work out as long as I can. As they say, age is just number. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more!

I am 60 and, according to my STS notes I am lifting heavier than I did when I was 56. It's all about staying consistent, and also cross training and using good form in order to do what we can to stay injury free. With a little luck and with the inspiration I get from other Catheletes like you, I hope to keep at 'er for many more years. I need the strength, flexibility and cardio capacity more than ever!

Hi! Even though I am not 50 or 60, just 43, I noticed since I first started doing Cathe Strength Workouts, I can lift more. I even can do some of weights that she does on Cathe Live. I remember when I first started I was like doing 1 and 2 pounds. Now I can do 10 pounds. If you keep at it, you can do it!!

Jennifer Denny

I'm only 54, but I have to say if you can lift heavier now than 12 years ago - great. If your struggling/hard feels bad then maybe see a doctor - from what I've read, exercise build bone as well as muscle and I have to believe your ligaments are strong. It seems illogical to back off only due to age. I do know that menopause, like pregnancy does mess with your body in ways that might make it more prone to injury... and likely other age related hormone changes -that said, you know your body and should keep on making it stronger.

I just turned 70 and have been doing regular exercise programs with weights since age 37.
Before that I just had active lifestyle.
First used FIRM then found Cathe when she was on FIT TV and have been doing her routines since. GYM style series, Xtrain, Low impact, Ripped, LITE, ICE, TravelFit, Fit Tower.

Sometimes I use Rapid Fire boxing , Latin dance and some other( or insert old FIRM just for nostalgia LOL. )

I have bilateral hip replacements so have incorporated some moves from low impact series during other high impact HIIT because I intend to keep this up for another 20-25 years . (hopefully without wearing out this set of hip replacements)
For past several years, I do have to use lower weights for shoulder exercises and modify move to more joint friendly position.

Listen to your body and if some joints are clicking or you notice decreasing range of motion you may have Osteoarthritis and you may need to adjust to lower weights and/or modify your range of motion. Sometimes joints dictate modification but you can still be pumped . I add the Fit Tower partial pull-ups and inverted rows which do not bother my shoulders to most upper body routines where I need to make adjustments. FIT Tower is great fun!

I am thinking about trying sandbag while doing some Cathe workouts to see if that may also add another dimension.
Loving exercise for many years and intend to continue for many more.
Have a great day everyone! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.