Lifting like girls

1974 was a great year for love matches, apparently! Karen, belated happy 44th to you and your DH. This groceries thing is pretty funny. I realized yesterday as I was strolling through the Fred Meyer aisles that I get to prematurely celebrate my own 44th anniversary 2-3 times per week!

Tom, playing it safe can be a good thing. The fact that you got in a leg day is a victory by itself. Enjoy your games. I'm guessing the New Year time and then end of March are your "happy places" with the bowls and then March Madness. Does your DW watch with you? My DH watches very little sports, but when he does he is ALONE! Lol

Karen, you sound so pumped up and excited by your workouts. Yay! Fitness should be fun, at least some of the time, and you are rocking it!!! High fives. Did you get snow last night? I check the forecast before going to bed, the weather people assure me no precipitation, and then I wake up to snow! This has happened 4 times this month!!!

Ended my week with a Cathe Live step workout and Xtrain Biceps and Triceps. Man, I love love love Xtrain. I don't remember it being this awesome!

Have a great weekend!!

Cardio core day. I started with 4 miles on the airdyne, 3x20 cable crunches, 3x80 mtn climbers, some planks and side planks, and 3 sets of inclined sit ups. To balance out the anterior chain with some posterior chain work I got brave and did some light deads ( breaking my promise to NEVER do deads again) and did 205x10 sumo and x 10 conv. That's it for me, cold here today but it is almost Jan and I don't live in San Diego! Have a great Sunday friends, I'm off to get a much needed haircut...I look like an extra on a Shaft movie!! ( Lisa, you may have to look that one up lol!!) Put "er" on cruise ladies, it's Sunday!!

Last edited:
1974 was a great year for love matches, apparently! Karen, belated happy 44th to you and your DH. This groceries thing is pretty funny. I realized yesterday as I was strolling through the Fred Meyer aisles that I get to prematurely celebrate my own 44th anniversary 2-3 times per week!

Tom, playing it safe can be a good thing. The fact that you got in a leg day is a victory by itself. Enjoy your games. I'm guessing the New Year time and then end of March are your "happy places" with the bowls and then March Madness. Does your DW watch with you? My DH watches very little sports, but when he does he is ALONE! Lol

Karen, you sound so pumped up and excited by your workouts. Yay! Fitness should be fun, at least some of the time, and you are rocking it!!! High fives. Did you get snow last night? I check the forecast before going to bed, the weather people assure me no precipitation, and then I wake up to snow! This has happened 4 times this month!!!

Ended my week with a Cathe Live step workout and Xtrain Biceps and Triceps. Man, I love love love Xtrain. I don't remember it being this awesome!

Have a great weekend!!
Lisa, my DW does like a lot of it...crazy bout Neb football and KU basketball and tolerated the other games well. You cracked me up on the " premature 44th thing"! I may have to look into xtrain, but such a fossil and resistant to variety obviously!

Last edited:
Lisa, I agree. When I did the XTrain rotation, I thought it was a great program. But, now I go back to some of the workouts, and they are amazing. When I was doing the rotation, it was my favorite program. I may go back and add a few more XTrain workouts into my new year rotation. (so far, there is no rotation, but I'm thinking about it, which I'm sure counts for something) Still working with Julia. She is fierce, one workout she was 34 weeks pregnant, and jumping around, and burpeeing(that's not a word, but when I look at it....well, just don't take it the wrong way) yea, she's a beast.
I definitely need a haircut. I haven't had a haircut in almost a year. My hair grows fast, and I'm looking like the Witch of the West. I keep putting it off, I'm not sure what I want. I love short hair, it's so easy, I'm just not sure I can pull it off. But, this long stuff isn't making it either. So, it's usually just pulled back in a ponytail. I guess I will do my usual A line bob.
That's pretty much it, guys. The driveway needs a shovel, but maybe another day. Talk again soon!

Chest and tris, 11 sets chest, 7 tris. Warm up bench was 135x5 155x3 175x3 195x3, then singles at 205 and 215, then 195x6 185x6 165x9. Next were 1 set of Inc flysx10 going right into Inc db press x10 (50s) and finished chest with a burn out set of db inclines x14 (60s). Tris were 3x8 skullcrushers, first set with 50s ( my mistake) then 45s 2x8. Next were 3x8 pushdowns ( did drop 5 lbs last 2 sets) and finished with a burn out set of kickbacks x15 (45s). I simply lack the guts to load the bench up, the 2 singles seemed pretty easy, but just don't want to mess with a failed rep! We are going to an early party because Mizzou plays in a bowl and most of these friends are Mizzou fans. I used to be because my Dad was a QB back in the 40s there, but some stuff back in the 90s kind of soured me on them, however it's a whole new staff so I will forgive..,tis the season!! Have a terrific New year friends and stay safe!

Tom, I hear Shaft and I think Samuel L Jackson. Didn't he star in a movie remake? Do you have curly hair like Karen and me? We can send you some of our Deva Curl gels and shampoo to "tame your mane." Or you could just get a cut, lol. My DH actually has long hair and a goatee, at my request. I love it! He's an engineer so nobody cares. Cool that you and DW bond over football! Better than groceries! If you are ever on Jeopardy you would sweep the sports trivia category! Good workout and enjoy the game.

Karen, I am the same way. I go 9 months to a year between haircuts. If I am super "on it," I will go every 6 months. I've heard there's an awesome Deva Curl stylist in SLC. Ever been to her? An XTrain and Julia hybrid would be awesome! I know, the stuff she did at 34+ weeks would make my OB have a heart attack, but she is just built for this stuff. And geez, reading about your Shovel Max rotation this month is helping me understand why I see so many UT license plates in my area. Just a few hours north gives you a milder winter (generally, minus the winter of 2016/2017). Just stay away from Twin Falls!

Today was Monday leg day, Sydney Cummings YouTube. I went way heavy and it was tough. Her workouts are good so long as you get the weight your body needs for a challenge.

Any resolutions, anyone? Mine is to keep on keeping on, which is a fancy way of saying "none here!" Bye bye 2018 and Happy New Year to you both, and to you Lib!

Hi everybody!! It is cold here today. Didn’t make it outside to shovel. Chose to do laundry instead. Much warmer choice. Another Julia workout. Tonight it’s going to be single digits, so I probably won’t shovel tomorrow. DH tells me to leave it, he will do it. Hasn’t happened yet, and I don’t mind Shovel Max. I haven’t heard of the curly girl in SLC. I would love to know who she is. Love to get a few tips on what to do with my curly/straight hair. There was a time DH had long hair and a goatee, loved it! But, now he tells me he’s too old.
Well everyone, if you are celebrating tonight, be safe. We usually stay home. DH says there are too many inebriated people on the streets. To be quite honest, we usually hit the rack before midnight. We’re a riot at New Years parties. Take care! Happy 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven’t heard of the curly girl in SLC
Karen, I PM'd you her info. Tell your DH there's no such thing as being too old for long hair and a goatee or beard. As long as someone keeps it groomed, I love the look! Well, my only qualifier is you can't be balding. If you're balding then I prefer the Patrick Stewart / Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek look.

Today was HiiT and Cathe Metabolic segments from Live. It was a very mish mosh, make it up as I go workout but it got the job done.

Tom, I am sure you've been busy with the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl!

Happy New Year! The holidays are coming to a close. My DH took our lights down so we're definitely moving on around here!

I surprised myself by doing XTrain again! Chest Back Shoulders. Look at me, following a fake workout schedule! I know this won't probably last beyond the week. Oh well.

Hope you're both feeling good today and rocking the day. Vacation is over here. DD1 is back at school and DH is back at work (although he worked most of the break, so no big deal).

Pathetic back and shoulder day, just didn't have it so kept it very simple and light. 1 set of Chin ups x8, 2 sets of pulldowns x12 15, 2 sets of seated db shoulder press 45s x20 15 and 1 set of declined side laterals/ front raise 20s x8 and that was it! Oh well, not a good start for 19 but plenty if time to "reboot"! At least you ladies are carrying the torch...I'll catch up!

Tom, it's tough to lift when congested. Hope it clears up soon. Lol'd on your snot joke. I talk about poop and pee with my kids all day long so I consider it normal conversation.

Karen, Bubble Butt sounds like it requires a medical donut for sitting afterwards!

Today was legs from Fitness Blender YouTube.

Tom, sorry to hear about your cold. Too hard to lift when congested. Wishing you well. Snot, poop, pee, we’ve all had kids. Been there, done that. Still single digit cold here. Winter, last year was so mild. Hating this!

Superset arm day, 18 sets. Ez bar curls ( upped to 95) 3x8/ skullcrushers 45s x15 12 12. Db curls 40s 3x10/ pushdowns x10 8 8. Conccurls 40s 3x8 / kickbacks 40s 3x15 a d called it a day! Working this Friday, y'all make Fri great again!!!

Yesterday's 25 Live. This one was so full of variety, kind of a mix of cardio/metabolic feel. Superb!

Karen, you've had single digit HIGHs? Sheesh! We've gotten in the teens as our low temp but your weather is worse! Good thing Julia makes you work so hard you sweat out of your eyeballs! Just dry off quick, tho, so your sweat won't turn to ice!

Tom, seems like you're feeling better? IDK why but I consider you the King of Concentration Curls.

Tomorrow should be XTrain Biceps and Triceps. Have a great weekend. I'll be back posting on Monday.

Oh my gosh! I need to catch up on Cathe Live. I’ve missed the last two.
Yes, it has been very cold here. Haven’t had these low temps since 2016 and 17. The heat is running 24/7. Can’t wait to see this gas bill.
I’m taking today as a rest day. Quite a few errands to run, and I need the break. Box jumps, burpees etc. I may be too old for Julia. I would like to be able to do 24 inch box jumps, though. She makes it look so effortless. So, I just do what I can, and forget the rest. But, I do like her style. It’s a predicted heat wave tomorrow. The 30’s. That’s about it for me. Hope you’re feeling better, Tom. I think you’re the king of concentration curls, too. Keep up the good work. Are the kids tired of their Christmas treasures, Lisa? Winter can be so hard with kids. They want to go outside, so you dress them up like a native Alaskan, two minutes later, they come in because they’re cold. How many times did I dress and undress kids. My bad, for falling for it.
Take care.

[QUOTE="desertambrosia, post: 2462089, member: 154709" I would like to be able to do 24 inch box jumps, though. She makes it look so effortless.
...Are the kids tired of their Christmas treasures, Lisa? Winter can be so hard with kids. They want to go outside, so you dress them up like a native Alaskan, two minutes later, they come in because they’re cold.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Karen, your posts always make me smile. :) You're just terrific. Just gotta say it.

Yes! Julia makes it look so easy. She has to catch her breath every now and again but she powers through and actually looks graceful during horrible torture moves like box jumps and burpees.

I got the very last "Camille" American Girl Doll for DD1 at Costco (back in Sept, when Costco starts Christmas, d@mn them). Bought it on a whim because I have heard kids like them. OMG DD1 is obsessed! She'd never seen American Girl dolls before but she just loves her so much! We got her the Camille story chapter book and she's eating that up, too. It doesn't hurt that Camille has a mermaid costume. They're also still fixated on the blocks and a couple other things. I seriously didn't buy that much but I am getting my money's worth!

Winter time caged animal syndrome is a thing. I need to get it in the official Medical Diagnostic Manual (DSM or something?). I get it too but I can't take the cold temps so I make my DH go out with them!!!

Enjoy those 30 degrees! Same happening here. But gee, that's grilling and bikini weather compared to single digits

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.