Lifting each body part once per week...

naughtoj

Cathlete
I am having my usual incessant problem with DOMS and am again comtemplating why.

I am SICK to death of being so incapacitatingly sore from my weight workouts. AND, I am really having a hard time figuring out what I am doing wrong!! I am using weights that allow me to fatigue at the set amount of reps. It is not excruciating ever for upper body, but for my lower body it is taking 5 days to recover from one lower body workout(this week is was the Pyramid Lower-UP ONLY!!!).

I know they say DOMS is caused when you are unaccustomed to an activity or you raise the "bar" in intensity if you are at an advanced level. Well, every workout I strive to beat my last, but often times do not pick up a heavier weight. But, I read an article that said if you usually do 3 sets of 10, that you should wait until you can do 3 sets of 15 with the same poundage before you increase. In the article, the sets always remained the same every workout as well as the repitions.
What I am wondering is, do you think my body is literally "forgetting" which workout I am doing? Meaning, even though I don't seem to be going crazy upping my weights, I am still getting sore because I am using so many different videos week to week. Like if I do Pyramid Lower this week and MIS and PH next week, I will still get sore the next week when I do PLB again, because my body FORGOT what that was (rep scheme, total sets).

All of Cathe's tapes are so different in reps/sets that I think my poor body never gets used to anything (and we THANK Cathe for this???!!!).

I eat well and sleep well, so this is really not an issue about recovery. I am finding that this debilitating soreness is keeping me from doing the intense cardio I want to do on my off days from lifting, but don't want to decrease weight loads as I think my weight loads are appropriate.

I can usually do two upper body weight workouts a week,but am finding that only one heavy lower body workout is possible for me. Even adding in PH or an endurance tape would be almost impossible. IF I did no cardio I could do it, but I love IMAX and kickboxing and am finding I have to give them up alot of weeks because of this!!

So........do you think you can still make good gains with one lower body workout per week. If you are lifting heavy enough to be sore? I would rather give one workout my absolute all than have to give 50% to two workouts. Any ideas?

Janice

Forgot to mention that in an effort to solve this problem, I want to do a rotation of sorts that goes like this:

MON: Lower Body
WED: Upper Body
FRI: Lower Body

next week:

MON: Upper Body
WED: Lower Body
FRI: Upper Body

next week:

MON: Total body
FRI Total body

All days in between will be cardio. This looks like it is the only way for me to lift and fit in cardios such as IMAX or Kickboxing. This way, there is literally 5 days in between body parts. Looks like a great idea to me..whadya think??

Janice

Hi Janice I am no expert here. But I haved learned much on this forum over the last several years. Your rotation looks good, however may I add that you might want to try some extra stretching?

I have been using Miranda White's: Classical Stretch which I learned about on this forum. I use it when I feel I need more stretching. Now that I have learned the moves I just add extra stretching at the end of every Cathe workout.

Judy
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

> All of Cathe's tapes are so different in
>reps/sets that I think my poor body never gets used to
>anything (and we THANK Cathe for this???!!!).

Hi Janice, I think you figured out your own dilemma from your statement above.:) I notice that when I use the workouts I don't use as often as PS and Pyramids, I do get DOMS. Or I feel it the day after and the soreness lasts longer than usual. When I use PS or the Pyramids (the fundamentals in my strength training rotations), I do get sore, but the soreness is good and lasts for only a day. How you feel right now is how I feel when I do workouts like ME, CTX-UB split, S&H, and those circuit-type workouts that I don't do too much of.

In my readings I've come across articles that say it can take the body more than the usual 48 hours to recover, especially when you're lifting as heavy as possible, like those who do super-heavy weight training with only 6 reps per set. This is why I weight-train only twice a week, and with my knee issues, I do weight training for lower body only twice a month these days. The rest of my leg workouts are shorter endurance sessions like Leaner Legs or those premixes from L&G. Or I do PLB with much lower weights and very little rest between pyramids. Also, when I up my weights, I don't use these new heavier weights for all 3 sets. I use them for only one set then lower, then work up to the usual 3 sets in the succeeding sessions. This not only "limits" (for lack of a better word) the soreness that comes later, but it also helps me keep going through the workout as I don't fry myself too soon.

Hope this helps. From your posts, I know you're lifting real heavy. You must have amazing muscles at this point.:)

Editing to say that your planned rotation looks good. I just might do that next month.

Pinky

Rotation looks good .I drink a whey protein after lifting and never get sore.I tried to go a month without it and was really sore.Even if you eat good whey does seem to have healing properties that my body responds to.And I do lift very heavy but don't get sore I currently use optimum with skim milk so it is around 31-32 grams of protein.my lower body use to get so sore I couldn't sit on the toilet:eek: I currently only do 1 heavy lower body workout every 3-4 lower workouts and stick to endurance/circuit the rest but I try to do lower 3x a week and upper 3x also I do 2 strentgh workouts on upper with 1 endurance.one workout is plenty don't worry or try to fit in or leave out other workouts you love because you think you may need more if your sore your sore and you may get burnt out if you try to do more.I use to work one part a day for years with plenty of strength and definition results.GOOD luck.

Thanks for the compliment Pinky. I also am sure I have amazing muscles....someday I might see them!!! HA!!!

Janice

I have recently noticed the same problem. I decided that for me, my self-prescription would be, to do Power Hour once a week.

And, one lower and one upper body strength day, and 3 cardio days. I am counting PH as a strength for lower (let's face it, it's brutal) and I think that when i BECOME ADAPTED TO ph AGAIN, LIKE i ONCE WAS, MY LEGS WILL NOT BE AS PRONE TO SORENESS AS THEY ARE NOW.

Oops- caps lock inadvertently hit! :p

I count Power Circuit (CTX) as an additional lower body day. So, on a day I do Power Circuit, I have done one cardio, one lower body (skipping back) and one abs! The cardio I do also helps keep the legs engaged. Other cardio days are longer, like Step Blast, less intense, like my own step routines, or different, like riding my bike round trip to work.

Anyway I'll keep you posted about how it's working. I agree also with the additional stretching. I seem to need it, so I'm doing it. Just all those movements my body craves, which is hamstring, glute stretches and quad, inner thigh, all upper body parts too. Hams the most.

Just doing bent over lat rows leaves my hams begging for a stretch.
-Connie

I replied back to this post on Friday, but it ate my message and I was so mad it took me a few days to get over it and retype!

Maybe I have figured out my own dilemma. I think I will come up with a rotation using a few vids on those upper/lower days and see how that works out. With recent research suggesting that one heavy set may be all you need, I think for lower I am going to choose Pyramid Lower (pyramid up only) on one day and then S&H Legs only + hover squats and deadlifts from PS. Upper Body will be Pyramid Upper (up only) with one set for each body part from S&H. I am going to pick exercises that hopefully don't appear in the pyramid tape. So, say, I will tack on the tricep dips in S&H for triceps at the end of Pyramid Upper.....for sure the forearm work.....as much as I can cram in. BUT, this will be my set "rotation" for 8-12 weeks. I wonder if soreness will subside if I stick to this. This way, I can work in Powerstrike on my 2 upper body week and not kill myself. Can't do Powerstrike next day after S&H, and can't do it day after upper body and day before Pyramids Lower......HA! What a predicament!

Ooooh. Maybe I can come up with a really cool rotation and give it a name and post it, so it can become famous, kinda like TTR!!! I should call it, "The Maximum Effort/Minimal Soreness Rotation". I am on a mission. I will post it when I figure it out.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Janice

Ok, this is what I have come up with. Let me know what you think:

Week 1:

Monday: Lower Body- S&H Legs + PS deadlifts + PS hover squats

Tuesday: CARDIO

Wednesday: Upper Body- Pyramid Upper (Up Only) + Abs + S&H abs and supermans

Thursday: CARDIO

Friday: Lower Body- Pyramid Lower Body (Up only)

Week Two:

Monday: Upper Body-Pyramid Upper (up only)+ Abs + S&H abs and supermans

Tuesday: CARDIO

Wednesday: Lower Body- Pyramid Lower (up only)

Thursday: CARDIO

Friday: Upper body-S&H compilation. 2 sets of the following: incline bench, chest flyes, dumbell pullovers, deadlifts, seated overhead press, side lying external rotation, lying tricep extensions, tricep dips, barbell wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.
ONE SET EACH of dumbell curls, hammer curls.
+ supermans + abs.

Third Week:

Monday: Power Hour
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: Cardio
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Muscle Endurance

After week 3, the whole cycle repeats itself. Week 1 and 2 are obviously more strength with week 3 being all endurance (ouch). I love having quite a bit of variety and this looks like it is it, while giving me enough time to be "incapacitated" hopefully until I get used to it and then have to start all over. It is the best of floorwork mixed with super strength moves like the squat and deadlift. I think it is beautiful!!! Week 3 would probably be where I work in Powerstrike or IMAX. Maybe also weeks 1 and 2 if soreness is not too great, we'll see. Cardio is unspecified because I like to not really plan that. Here in PHX, we have trails to hike and trails to bike/rollerblade so I keep that in mind if I feel like I need some extra sunshine!

Janice

Janice,

I like your rotation. I have trouble getting in decent workouts during the week because of time limitations. I might try doing your rotation with the weights on Saturday and Sunday (for the weeks where upper and lower body are split), and maybe 4 days of cardio (45 minutes or less) during the week.

By the way, I haven't heard about Powerstrike. Who does it, and what's it like?

Thanks!

Hi Janice--

Would it be possible that maybe you are just getting better at focusing at lifting and being more intense at focusing on your movements so that you are getting more of a workout?

I know that there are some weeks where I kind of feel like I am just "going through the motions" and not really concentrating on the movements. But when I really put my mind to it and focus,.. well.. those are the days I notice I am much sorer than usual.. esp. on lower body workouts!

Also, have you been really doing alot of training for a while? I don't know if this would apply to you but sometimes I find that after a particularly grueling couple of weeks or month, the soreness recovery from a standard workout takes longer than usual. I will take an extra day off or ease up for a few days and then I usually feel better. I like to do one bodypart/day workouts too, and I will find this will be the case even with a week of recovery time in between body parts. (But, again, esp. in lower body training)

Lynn M.

Lynn..
Not really possible. I don't ever seem to "go through the movements" unless I am severly not in the mood and in that case I take the day off. I really don't know what it is. Don't even know if I have been doing alot of training. Not really. I know S&H Legs +PS kicked my butt today!!

I thought there would be more interest in this rotation, but I guess I am the only weenie around here!:)

Janice

Hey Janice,

I've recently read that while we should look to "mix up" our workouts, there is a time to stick with a particular routine. Maybe you are trying to mix things up, too much.

I like what you have "proposed" for yourself. It looks very similar to the body for life workout (what I'm trying right now--strictly doing it without tapes--I still can't bring myself back to Cathe right now!). Give yourself about 3 weeks before changing it up again. And when you do change, make it enough of a change that you are mixing it up, but not so much of a change that you find yourself incapacitated from DOMS again.

Oh & one other thing I've recently read is that you don't necessarily have to get DOMS to have had a good work out.

Good luck~

Hi Janice! Well I for one know that your rotation is AWESOME!!! Very interesting how you compiled different components into your workouts. I had just revisited PUB & PLB after doing last week of PS. I have SERIOUS DOMS going on w/me today!! I feel like I have the flu or coming down w/it anyway. I know I'll be better tomorrow. Tonight I have slated to do KP&C. I absolutely LOVE kickboxing. Sometimes what I do is I'll make up my own weight training routine jotting everything down & see how I feel after the 4 or 6 weeks is up. How much time do you figure it'll take in doing these workouts? Good luck to you! Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.